onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who to sign for next season?

rayzer

19 hours ago, LancyTony said:

I can't agree that all sacked managers have lost the dressing room, or had any kind of revolt? Several, high profile managers were sacked in respectable League positions, and left with the players in shock and publicly supporting their ex-manager. This season, our players all lost form at the same time - and there were rumours of something happening behind the scenes that were never confirmed. Then, the environment changed because the management staff changed and, although we still lost games, we were harder to beat, and, eventually went on to win 4 in a row. The parameters are different - no reason to suggest this would happen again; or that the players will not continue to play as they now are.

That is correct.  Would have said around the turn of the year we need a massive clear out, now don’t think so, there was obviously a big problem under Askeys watch, now they are playing for the manager, in DC we trust

Advert

17 hours ago, Danish Valiant said:

The salary cap made sense, but with that now gone, the squad cap makes zero sense! It will only drive up wages in the lower leagues, as there are now fewer players to take a share. Lets say Vales budget is 2 million. Divide that by 35 like now, or by 25 like next season. Players demands will just go up, and why shouldn't they? Clubs will still be able to spend silly money, but on fewer players. So what's the point? There's absolutely no point left.

Disagree. As with the salary cap, there will be a maximum number of players in a squad. No matter how much those players cost, and are paid, if they are injured / lose form / suspended the bigger clubs will have to use what they have not just dip into player no 36 or 36 of a 50-man squad. Yes - that's exaggerated...true, nonetheless. And it isn't a given that players' demands will go up if there are more players chasing fewer squad places! If they ask too much they won't get taken on - then where does an exaggerated wage demand get them?

15 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

That is correct.  Would have said around the turn of the year we need a massive clear out, now don’t think so, there was obviously a big problem under Askeys watch, now they are playing for the manager, in DC we trust

I still think some will go - I just don't think it will be anything like as drastic as we though a couple of months ago? There clearly was a problem under Askey - but new management structure / coaches and fitness appears to be working near miracles. long may that last!! 

4 hours ago, LancyTony said:

I still think some will go - I just don't think it will be anything like as drastic as we though a couple of months ago? There clearly was a problem under Askey - but new management structure / coaches and fitness appears to be working near miracles. long may that last!! 

I actually think Amoo and Hurst are at risk as is maybe Pope now as well,a while back we all expected Theo to be ditched but i think he will see out his other season now unless someone moves for him and he wants to leave

I would think Mills,Whitehead,Cullen and Fitzpatrick will also go

6 hours ago, LancyTony said:

Disagree. As with the salary cap, there will be a maximum number of players in a squad. No matter how much those players cost, and are paid, if they are injured / lose form / suspended the bigger clubs will have to use what they have not just dip into player no 36 or 36 of a 50-man squad. Yes - that's exaggerated...true, nonetheless. And it isn't a given that players' demands will go up if there are more players chasing fewer squad places! If they ask too much they won't get taken on - then where does an exaggerated wage demand get them?

DC will have the same budget, that has been stated. But fewer players to spend it on. All clubs can't get the higher earners/big name players, so how will the budget be spend then? I know he isn't obliged to spend it all, but what manager wouldn't? 

On 05/04/2021 at 19:40, werstayinup said:

I actually think Amoo and Hurst are at risk as is maybe Pope now as well,a while back we all expected Theo to be ditched but i think he will see out his other season now unless someone moves for him and he wants to leave

I would think Mills,Whitehead,Cullen and Fitzpatrick will also go

That's probably about right - although, as with some of the other younger lads, I would give Hurst  another chance as (and Burgess) have definitely shown something to work on.. Of our injury-prone players, Amoo has probably shown less than Manny and Monty? Still not forcing his way into the first XI. 

On 05/04/2021 at 21:11, Danish Valiant said:

DC will have the same budget, that has been stated. But fewer players to spend it on. All clubs can't get the higher earners/big name players, so how will the budget be spend then? I know he isn't obliged to spend it all, but what manager wouldn't? 

Why do you think there will be fewer players to spend money on? I am expecting to see a lot of clubs releasing more players, and trying to pick up the non-league or ex-Prem / Championship chancers? We had already been adhering to the Salary Cap regulations - no reason to think we won't continue to work with the same approach - just be more prudent / perceptive in our dealoings?

6 minutes ago, LancyTony said:

Why do you think there will be fewer players to spend money on? I am expecting to see a lot of clubs releasing more players, and trying to pick up the non-league or ex-Prem / Championship chancers? We had already been adhering to the Salary Cap regulations - no reason to think we won't continue to work with the same approach - just be more prudent / perceptive in our dealoings?

We won't have a squad of 35-40 next season. That's for damn sure, as both DC and DF has already stated that.
We'll have our 20 over 21s and perhaps 5-6 U21s in the squad. 
This season we have what, 24/25 over 21s? That will be reduced to 20 under any circumstance. So that's 5 wages already gone.
Then there'll be the U21s, of which I'm guessing we'll have 5 or 6 in the squad. So that's a reduction of 10-15 players, from this season. 

On 07/04/2021 at 20:16, Danish Valiant said:

We won't have a squad of 35-40 next season. That's for damn sure, as both DC and DF has already stated that.
We'll have our 20 over 21s and perhaps 5-6 U21s in the squad. 
This season we have what, 24/25 over 21s? That will be reduced to 20 under any circumstance. So that's 5 wages already gone.
Then there'll be the U21s, of which I'm guessing we'll have 5 or 6 in the squad. So that's a reduction of 10-15 players, from this season. 

Exactly! So, if every club scales down, there will be more players available. 

On 04/04/2021 at 19:58, Frank Mustard said:

Brisley is good enough starting eleven for a team looking to be promoted.

Definitely as back up. He’s better than Crookes. But we can’t have Legge and Brisley, and Legge has re-signed potentially. That doesn’t leave space for walk-into-first-team-captain-style-promotion-chasing centre half that we need to partner Smith.

On 09/04/2021 at 20:04, LancyTony said:

As clubs will have broadly the same budget it will make the better players that bit more expensive. 

On 09/04/2021 at 19:04, LancyTony said:

But it won't exactly be the good ones, will it 😉
It will be other L2 clubs equivalent to Mills or Whitehead. The good players will be the ones pushing up the wage bill, because they know they are in high demand! The best ones will go from having 1 or 2 offers, to maybe 4 or 5. Which means a bidding war, and the wage package just go up, up, up. The Vaughan/Doyle wages will become close to the norm for decent L2 players, and the good ones even more.

Archived