onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who to sign for next season?

rayzer

1 minute ago, LancyTony said:

I totally agree with the squad cap, and so disappointed that the Player's Union acted against it! 

It was introduced to try to stop clubs spending their way to success...and, for those that didn't succeed, to stop them overspending their way into financial trouble. But for anyone to suggest that it would, somehow, lead to a poorer standard of player in lower leagues is puzzling? If there's a pool of players good enough to play for Prem clubs, but the number allowed to play there means that some players of this quality mya drop to Championship level, in hopes of getting to the Prem by promotion? Then, fewer players of Championship quality being allowed to play in that League means some will drift down to League 1...and so on?

In simple terms, if every club above L2 had 5 players extra in their squads, that is 68 x 5 = 340 players not in L2. surely the quality  of L2 would then drop.

Advert

1 minute ago, Fosse69 said:

In simple terms, if every club above L2 had 5 players extra in their squads, that is 68 x 5 = 340 players not in L2. surely the quality  of L2 would then drop.

They wouldn't be having more players - they'd have fewer!

It happens at most Clubs eventually, or the country wouldn't be full of sacked managers. What I do know is that this group of players, bar 4 or 5, have shown this season that they have absolutely no problem downing tools mid season, despite the owners backing them to the hilt financially, and despite we were in real danger of relegation. That is enough for me to lose all trust I had in them. Once bitten, twice shy and all that.

I don't know? Is it compulsory? Does it happen all the time? At every club? Why would it happen again? It might...or might not? I don't suppose it's something that gets factored into any kind of planning strategy?

6 minutes ago, philmpv said:

It happens at most Clubs eventually, or the country wouldn't be full of sacked managers. What I do know is that this group of players, bar 4 or 5, have shown this season that they have absolutely no problem downing tools mid season, despite the owners backing them to the hilt financially, and despite we were in real danger of relegation. That is enough for me to lose all trust I had in them. Once bitten, twice shy and all that.

Consider it lack of confidence in their leader, once that has gone they need a new leader, he is not their employer but probably the most important part of the team.. Probably why most clubs dont hang about.  Tin hat at the ready.

8 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I can't agree that all sacked managers have lost the dressing room, or had any kind of revolt? Several, high profile managers were sacked in respectable League positions, and left with the players in shock and publicly supporting their ex-manager. This season, our players all lost form at the same time - and there were rumours of something happening behind the scenes that were never confirmed. Then, the environment changed because the management staff changed and, although we still lost games, we were harder to beat, and, eventually went on to win 4 in a row. The parameters are different - no reason to suggest this would happen again; or that the players will not continue to play as they now are.

When players get released from other clubs maybe we will have to see if they have a connection to DC or DF as i am sure they will want to bring a few in they have worked with before

I have to be honest i cant wait for the season to end now so we can start to see all the changes we are going to make,could be an exciting summer

There is one thing for sure some of the performances of JAs tenure in front of a crowd would have caused a riot. I am sure our management are going to look very closely at our current squad and weed a few out and hopefully bring in a bit more quality and consistency. I think it’s going to be a very busy summer this is where our management team are going to earn there corn. 

2 hours ago, LancyTony said:

I totally agree with the squad cap, and so disappointed that the Player's Union acted against it! 

It was introduced to try to stop clubs spending their way to success...and, for those that didn't succeed, to stop them overspending their way into financial trouble. But for anyone to suggest that it would, somehow, lead to a poorer standard of player in lower leagues is puzzling? If there's a pool of players good enough to play for Prem clubs, but the number allowed to play there means that some players of this quality mya drop to Championship level, in hopes of getting to the Prem by promotion? Then, fewer players of Championship quality being allowed to play in that League means some will drift down to League 1...and so on?

The salary cap made sense, but with that now gone, the squad cap makes zero sense! It will only drive up wages in the lower leagues, as there are now fewer players to take a share. Lets say Vales budget is 2 million. Divide that by 35 like now, or by 25 like next season. Players demands will just go up, and why shouldn't they? Clubs will still be able to spend silly money, but on fewer players. So what's the point? There's absolutely no point left.

2 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

Does Pep not realise it is unthinkable to release your all time leading scorer and then expect the club to prosper?🤔😉

There’s also a guy running his contract down at Barcelona, but he wouldn’t help with the ageing squad problem.

Archived