onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who to sign for next season?

rayzer

Advert

11 hours ago, LancyTony said:

We do - and the ex-players being talked about, now, because they've gone on to another club and are doing much better than we thought they would, in the 5 minutes we gave them, might just be proof we are too hasty? And, don't get me wrong - I've been as hasty as a lot of others. Now we have a more professional set-up, maybe we will take a little time to properly assess young(er) players? I'll be interested to see whether DC gets anything out of Harry McKirdy, now he's been re-registered?  

Good points as was the quote ' it's a lottery ' .

Exactly that. How many on here thought Harness was a lightweight who played well 1 in 6 ? Currently playing a pivotal role for Portsmouth.

There are so many factors when signing players, some work , some don't it's football. We have had some loanees who have turned out to be better than we gave them credit for mainly because we barely played them !!

Shodipo is another, keeps popping up with the odd goal for Oxford , again in a higher division.

But for every Harness and Shodipo there is a Toby Edser or Reiss Greenidge. Even experienced signings have turned out to be duds, Wilson and Barnett for example.

It is a thankless task luckily i trust our current incumbents to make shall we say, better judged opinions. 

10 hours ago, Mario said:

I'm leaving all transfer dealings to DC and Flitters they have the inside track on current playing staff and all those he might want to sign or release.

Blast! I assumed Flitters would be taking detailed notes from this thread.

Close it down, Rob. The dream's dead.

16 hours ago, LancyTony said:

You do realise that "We'll agree to disagree" means we're too far apart to do anything but argue on this?

Welcome to Onevalefan, let me show you around. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣

10 hours ago, darren1810 said:

...But for every Harness and Shodipo there is a Toby Edser or Reiss Greenidge. Even experienced signings have turned out to be duds, Wilson and Barnett for example.

It is a thankless task luckily i trust our current incumbents to make shall we say, better judged opinions. 

You're right - which is why we must do the due diligence on potential future signings, to, at least, mitigate some of the risk of signing someone who will play a small %age of the games available. But, the lottery quote is appropriate for all teams - and, even signing the experienced. quality players like those you mentioned doesn't guarantee we will see it on the pitch - we had both sides of Ben Purkiss, for example! I didn't want Luke Hannant to go - I thought I saw enough in him to be worth developing?

I'm glad it's not my job - the fallout for making an honest mistake lingers a long time!

I think one of the biggest gaffs we made was letting Sam Morsey go a lot of people I spoke to saw a lot of potential in him from a young age. This was one of M Adams biggest mistakes, I suppose this was the biggest fault of MA not really into developing youngsters, still did ok for us for a while. 

2 minutes ago, dishydave said:

I would of thought a couple of clubs will come for Rodney in the summer and if he really wants to go I doubt there will be a lot we could do about it.

Not sure how much the guy from Walsall went to Luton for but Rodney is twice the player he is. 

Frustrating and clumsy at times but he's still as raw as anything. We potentially have a big money sale here but in the meantime keep improving and banging them in for us . 

He's got the lot potentially. Just needs to take on board what he's coached .

48 minutes ago, dishydave said:

I would of thought a couple of clubs will come for Rodney in the summer and if he really wants to go I doubt there will be a lot we could do about it.

That depends at what level those clubs are playing at,we still have a big say when he has 2yrs left on his deal but these are the kind of players we need to unearth until we start bringing our own through

45 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Not sure how much the guy from Walsall went to Luton for but Rodney is twice the player he is. 

Frustrating and clumsy at times but he's still as raw as anything. We potentially have a big money sale here but in the meantime keep improving and banging them in for us . 

He's got the lot potentially. Just needs to take on board what he's coached .

Adebayo was rumoured to have gone for around 250k i think

Max Watters went from crawley after half a season for 1m+

Now imo Rodders has more to his game than both of them,so more work on him in the summer and a good start to the season then who knows.. what i do know though is whatever fee we get for any player will go back into the club and the team for the future

Adebayo was rumoured to have gone for around 250k i think
Max Watters went from crawley after half a season for 1m+
Now imo Rodders has more to his game than both of them,so more work on him in the summer and a good start to the season then who knows.. what i do know though is whatever fee we get for any player will go back into the club and the team for the future
Blows my mind that Crawley got £1m for Watters. His first season in the football league and 13 goals into his career.

Massively overpriced.

I'd love Carol to get a fee like that for Rodney.

Archived