onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who to sign for next season?

rayzer

Advert

Does anyone on here actually go and watch the youth team on a regular basis?

I was just wondering if any players stood out to them as i know they haven't had a good season. Someone i know has seen just a couple but said they were shocking 😮 i guess this is why we need the coaching shake up we are getting.

The fact they have only won 3 games in the last 2 seasons tells us they are no where near good enough. If that was the first team we would all be screaming for investment in the coaching staff. And this is what is happening here. Plus when you look at it in real terms 3 coaches have left and 4 have come in so we only have one more than before the difference is the people who have come in a far better

Flitcroft and Carol know far more about it than me but geography is a big issue, imho.

Exeter aren't surrounded by big clubs and can consequently hoover up talent in the South-West, due to a lack of competition and a good reputation. If you're a good player in that region, you go to Exeter.

We are surrounded by good academies within an hours drive. United, City, Liverpool, Everton, Stoke, Derby, Crewe, Forest, Birmingham, Villa; all have been producing good footballers in the last few years.

If you're a good player in Staffordshire, you're getting offers from all of the above + Port Vale. No one is coming to Vale in that scenario.

As a consequence, the talent goes elsewhere. Sometimes you get lucky with players being released at scholarship age, like Robbie Earle, but this is more to do with good youth scouting than it is youth coaching.

Don't get me wrong, we need a youth academy and its great to have Smith and Gibbons come through, but if the aim is to become a youth-producing club, we've got to overtake decades of work already done by the aforementioned clubs to even start to attract the best talent. You can mitigate this with good coaching but you still need naturally good footballers. 

I've always said we should do what Brentford do; in a geographically congested area where the best players go to Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs etc, focus on a B Team which gives released/young players a bridge to the first team. Basically the development squad model from a few years back; Hugill made Norman a lot of money, and Wilson Carvalho had an EFL stint. 

I commend what we're doing but, in my pessimistic style, we've got a hell of a job in becoming a club known for producing their own. I think the youth academy definitely needs to be improved as we've not seen anyone come close to the first team since Gibbons, but we also need to diversify our recruitment at that age. 

I am convinced that of the thousands of lads released at 16, 5 of them can be top-class footballers. Just need the right environment, and a bit of luck.

10 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Flitcroft and Carol know far more about it than me but geography is a big issue, imho.

Exeter aren't surrounded by big clubs and can consequently hoover up talent in the South-West, due to a lack of competition and a good reputation. If you're a good player in that region, you go to Exeter.

We are surrounded by good academies within an hours drive. United, City, Liverpool, Everton, Stoke, Derby, Crewe, Forest, Birmingham, Villa; all have been producing good footballers in the last few years.

If you're a good player in Staffordshire, you're getting offers from all of the above + Port Vale. No one is coming to Vale in that scenario.

As a consequence, the talent goes elsewhere. Sometimes you get lucky with players being released at scholarship age, like Robbie Earle, but this is more to do with good youth scouting than it is youth coaching.

Don't get me wrong, we need a youth academy and its great to have Smith and Gibbons come through, but if the aim is to become a youth-producing club, we've got to overtake decades of work already done by the aforementioned clubs to even start to attract the best talent. You can mitigate this with good coaching but you still need naturally good footballers. 

I've always said we should do what Brentford do; in a geographically congested area where the best players go to Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs etc, focus on a B Team which gives released/young players a bridge to the first team. Basically the development squad model from a few years back; Hugill made Norman a lot of money, and Wilson Carvalho had an EFL stint. 

I commend what we're doing but, in my pessimistic style, we've got a hell of a job in becoming a club known for producing their own. I think the youth academy definitely needs to be improved as we've not seen anyone come close to the first team since Gibbons, but we also need to diversify our recruitment at that age. 

I am convinced that of the thousands of lads released at 16, 5 of them can be top-class footballers. Just need the right environment, and a bit of luck.

Dont agree at all. You can not tell me that at 6 or 7, yes he will make the grade. Yes they might have something about them, but in a few years time loads can alter. They grow in different ways. When I was young and played for the city schoolboys, if you had money you went to northwood stadium for coaching sessions, if your dad or mum could not take you you could not get there. You were then left out because they did not think you were bothered. I could not get there because my mum and dad worked, also no car or anything like that. Different now I know, but dont tell me he will make it when they are so young it is just a punt.

24 minutes ago, Properman said:

Dont agree at all. You can not tell me that at 6 or 7, yes he will make the grade. Yes they might have something about them, but in a few years time loads can alter. They grow in different ways. When I was young and played for the city schoolboys, if you had money you went to northwood stadium for coaching sessions, if your dad or mum could not take you you could not get there. You were then left out because they did not think you were bothered. I could not get there because my mum and dad worked, also no car or anything like that. Different now I know, but dont tell me he will make it when they are so young it is just a punt.

It is but the talent will always migrate to the biggest clubs.

The FA's EPPP makes it even worse; we've had 4 good players poached for pittance in the last 3-4 years by bigger clubs. One 9 year old went to Man City ffs.

The prospect of finding the talent is low; the prospect of keeping them to the age where they can play first team football and earn us anything above a standard 5 figure fee is very low. The game is to heavily skewed to the big clubs.

My view is don't try and copy what the other richer clubs are already doing. as we'll never compete; do something they aren't.

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

The FA's EPPP makes it even worse; we've had 4 good players poached for pittance in the last 3-4 years by bigger clubs. One 9 year old went to Man City ffs.

The prospect of finding the talent is low; the prospect of keeping them to the age where they can play first team football and earn us anything above a standard 5 figure fee is very low. The game is to heavily skewed to the big clubs.

My view is don't try and copy what the other richer clubs are already doing. as we'll never compete; do something they aren't.

The wastage at the top clubs is massive, lots don`t make it for various reasons but second chancers and late developers could make it all worth while.  It is also a community/youth facility.

28 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Joe,my grandson was at Man Utd for 2 years at 7 and 8 years.He wasn’t selected for the academy ,none were,but along with others was offered a chance to go somewhere else ,which United said they would sort out.One or two have ended up at the Vale,eventually.Goodie coached my lad for a while.The scouts from big clubs are always out and about on Sunday mornings.There’s a lot of young talented boys in this area we just need a few more people (scouts)to spot them.

Despite Warsaw fans opinions I'd still take Josh Gordon and I'm pretty sure Darrell will as well.Rory Holden is another one who will be welcomed along with Callum Guy from Carlisle and Nathan Ferguson from Southend.My dream team player though would be someone who Darrell knows very well and that is Matty Taylor,who is currently at Oxford.He will be 31 on Tuesday but in my opinion he would be the perfect striker for us.Whether we can match his wages is another thing though and I'm not sure what is current contract is.

9 hours ago, werstayinup said:

Does anyone on here actually go and watch the youth team on a regular basis?

I was just wondering if any players stood out to them as i know they haven't had a good season. Someone i know has seen just a couple but said they were shocking 😮 i guess this is why we need the coaching shake up we are getting.

I havent watched any of the youth team games and yes they are bottom and lose every week. Eden Bailey has scored quite a few in a poor team so he could have a future at the club.

Archived