Sheldon Report on child abuse in football

I'm not one of those "in the know"
I don't know anyone who is, I don't have the ear of anyone at any football club.
I'm just an ordinary fan who loves football and supports Port Vale
I do know that even way back rumours were rife regarding DG whilst he was at Crewe and there's generally no smoke without fire as they say.
It's shameful what went on but even more shocking is that it went on with people's knowledge or suspicion.
God knows what it did to those young lads and subsequently their lives moving forward but those that perpetrated these vile acts should forever rot in Hell, and I include those also that most surely also knew what was going on but refused to step in.
As for the statement and Crewes position it smacks of blind arrogance, denial and puts them (in my view) as the same bracket as those who claim the Holocaust never happened.
Hang your heads in shame you vile, evil creatures.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Walter said:
17 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:
Crewe statement.

https://www.crewealex.net/news/2021/march/club-statement---sheldon-review/

The club acknowledges the findings of Mr Sheldon QC that, notwithstanding the club may still not have got to the truth of any matters at that time, more could have been done to monitor the situation concerning Mr Bennell. 

The club is truly sorry if there were in fact any warning signs that ought to have led the club to do more.  Had the club had any suspicion or belief that Mr Bennell was committing acts of abuse, either before, during or after he left the club’s employment, the club would have informed the police immediately.

The club wishes to make it absolutely clear that it sincerely regrets and is disgusted by the terrible crimes committed by Mr Bennell upon many young footballers over a significant number of years.  The despicable abuse committed by Mr Bennell was abhorrent and the club continues to have the deepest sympathy for the victims and survivors of Mr Bennell.

The club fully understands the additional hurt and trauma to the victims and survivors of Mr Bennell which has been caused by the fact that no one at the club was aware of the offences being committed upon them at the time.  The club wholeheartedly regrets and is sorry to every survivor of abuse that it was unaware of Bennell’s offending.

The report of Clive Sheldon rightly acknowledges that for most of the period of Mr Bennell’s and others’ offending there was little or no guidance on child protection available to those working in sport or society in general. The club acknowledges that awareness of child protection matters and systems of safeguarding in football and in society have now improved considerably and safeguarding has become an integral part of the club’s everyday life.

The club acknowledges however that improvements to safeguarding can always be made and the club accepts the recommendations made by Clive Sheldon QC to ensure our safeguarding procedures remain as robust as possible.

The club also acknowledges the contributions made by all individuals to the report of Clive Sheldon QC and reiterates its deepest sympathy to all those victims and survivors of Mr Bennell.

This is a really poor statement in my opinion.

Loads of smoke and mirrors misdirection in the statement. 

Fennel gets pointed at quite a number of times as the bad guy...... Sheldon gets highlighted as the good guy a couple of times...... but there is a huge gap inbetween which is avoided and left blank.

Everything points to Bennell and Sheldon is doing the pointing ...... crew knew nothing at all and suspected nothing at all even though a member of staff tried to cover up/silence a simmilar situation that occured at another club he and bennell worked at.

3 hours ago, Doha said:

I wonder if the silence is in anticipation of this.

3 episodes, episode 2 is titled 'missed opportunities' - sound familiar? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ths2

BBC1 Monday at 9pm.

Yes @Doha I've just seen that too. I think it will be a harrowing watch but if it helps reveal more about who was involved, who was complicit, then it's good it's going to be broadcast.

Hi all,

Just a quick reminder of rules...

This thread discusses upsetting and distressing issues. It is not here to point score against other clubs but to discuss a report into incidents of horrendous child abuse. I hope we would post on here as human beings concerned about people being driven to despair though abuse and which club you support shouldn't come into it.

Please keep to the facts and the topic.

If you think a post is offensive and/or breaks rules please report it and the team will deal with it ASAP.

Thanks,

Rob

2 hours ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

Probably,but he resigned as a Director in September 2019.I wonder why🤔

he was forced to step down by the FA. He had the audacity to tell me that he thought the FA had it in for him because he turned down the England u21 job in around 1990ish (cant remember exact year he said)

21 minutes ago, WV said:

he was forced to step down by the FA. He had the audacity to tell me that he thought the FA had it in for him because he turned down the England u21 job in around 1990ish (cant remember exact year he said)

I think a few more "had it in for him" too😂😂

Sheldon said Crewe could "have done more" to react when Bennell was on their payroll by following up rumours concerning his conduct, including checking on the welfare of youngsters who took part in "stay-overs" at Bennell's home.

So they did know/suspect something ?

Different to the "we knew nothing" in previous statements

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, geosname said:

Sheldon said Crewe could "have done more" to react when Bennell was on their payroll by following up rumours concerning his conduct, including checking on the welfare of youngsters who took part in "stay-overs" at Bennell's home.

So they did know/suspect something ?

Different to the "we knew nothing" in previous statements

@geosname - it's a press article not a club statement 😉 so it's the journo's interpretation of the report rather than the club's.

Posted (edited)

JESUS CHRIST

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/crewes-bid-to-shut-down-sex-abuse-apology-from-manager-david-artell-d6l62n785

Crewe Alexandra yesterday appeared to take steps to suppress the reporting of an apology made by their manager David Artell to the victims of child sexual abuse at their club. A Crewe official told The Times that the club had intervened yesterday because their directors were “uncomfortable with the ‘sorry’ thing”.

A report published this week said Crewe could have done more to prevent sexual abuse carried out in the 1990s by their former coach Barry Bennell, who is serving a 30-year prison sentence for his crimes. In response, the club issued a carefully worded statement that did not apologise directly to survivors, instead saying sorry “if there were in fact any warning signs that ought to have led the club to do more”.

The statement, which came more than 24 hours after the report was published, was described as mealy-mouthed and begrudging by survivors.

Yesterday Artell, 40, issued an unqualified apology that was far less scripted while appearing at his regular weekly press conference. “I’m not sure of the reasons it didn’t happen earlier,” Artell said, when asked why Crewe took longer than other criticised clubs to make a formal response. “But I know it was important for the football club to say sorry after the report concluded and what it said in the findings.”

Artell’s press conference, conducted via Zoom because of lockdown restrictions, involved only a handful of local reporters. Soon after it finished those reporters were contacted by the club and told that should Artell’s comments “go national” — a reference to them being reported in the national media — that the club may cancel future Zoom press conferences.

That led to some reporters electing not to report Artell’s apology, and one news website taking it off their site completely, despite having initially published it.

When questioned by The Times, Crewe’s press officer, Rob Wilson, said: “The board [of directors] were uncomfortable with the thing about the ‘sorry’ thing and that was the way it was.”

When questioned if he had asked for the story to be suppressed, Wilson said: “I just asked the question [of] where it was going to go. I never asked anyone to pull any interviews.

“I asked them where it was going to go, so we could cover off where it was going to go. It was done on a local level and we were worried it was going to go national.

“It wasn’t a threat at all. Do you want me to be honest? I said to them I have to be careful then, when I speak on a local level, if it was going to a national level — because we’ve got to cover our manager.

“I was worried if you record a Zoom press conference it can go anywhere in the world.

“I don’t think it was a threat. I said we would have to rethink how we do press conferences on Zoom. That’s my quote to you. I have to rethink, going forward, about recording Zoom press conferences if it goes from a local level to a national level [and about] protecting our manager and directors.”

Crewe have reached financial settlements with a number of former players who were abused by Bennell but those settlements have never included direct personal apologies from the club to the survivor for the abuse they suffered, unlike the settlements reached by Manchester City, who also employed Bennell.

A former player and the Crewe manager for the past four years, Artell spoke with compassion about the abuse scandal which resulted in one of his predecessors, Dario Gradi, being banned from football indefinitely by the FA. “That’s hopefully a way to help people move on,” he said. “Whether it does or not — I don’t want to be seen as uncaring about this — the club said ‘sorry’ more than once in the statement and I hope that the survivors can find comfort in that if they need to.”

Board members at Crewe have been dismissive in their response to questions about Bennell in the past and the tone of their statement offended The Offside Trust, set up by survivors of child sexual abuse. They said: “We are pleased to see the club finally say ‘sorry’ — shame it has been delivered in such cold, mealy-mouthed, legalistic fashion. The emphasis on their lack of culpability makes it sound begrudging.”

Edited by Doha