Sheldon Report on child abuse in football

Jacko51

Advert:

Wonder if it's worth complaining to the BBC about the way Peter Morse has been behaving. I presume he's a freelancer but surely the national broadcaster shouldn't be giving money to someone who fuels the conspiracy theories about people having an agenda and defends a man who the FA have deemed a risk to children? 

Advert:

I'm sure there are many within Crewe who will be pleased that Peter Bowles has gone to hope that it draws a line under the sordid horrid period. But It won't. 

This will taint Crewe for a long time. Its going to be tough to be a Crewe fan. Do I think Crewe should be dissolved - no. I dont want Crewe to go away, in the hope that it will be forgotten. That would not do justice to this. Crewe should remain if only as as a reminder to other clubs of what can happen. Crewe now have an almighty job to ressurect their reputation.

I just hope that ALL youth facilities everywhere ensure that this cannot happen again. This was a perfect storm, horrid individuals preying on the hopes and dreams of young boys to satify their own twisted desires, wrecking careers and lives.

It will be tough being a Crewe fan, but ‘us fans’ were not in a position to do anything about the abuse that was going on. I personally think that people must have had concerns about Bennell but didn’t act. My boys love watching the Alex and I will still go because this club has been a big part of my life and it is difficult to just walk away. I feel awful about what happened. But I thank you all on this site for allowing me the opportunity to speak about how difficult this has been for me. I’m pleased that Bowler has gone and I feel that Dario’s legacy has been destroyed. I’m feeling pretty emotional typing this.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Phil1965 said:

It will be tough being a Crewe fan, but ‘us fans’ were not in a position to do anything about the abuse that was going on. I personally think that people must have had concerns about Bennell but didn’t act. My boys love watching the Alex and I will still go because this club has been a big part of my life and it is difficult to just walk away. I feel awful about what happened. But I thank you all on this site for allowing me the opportunity to speak about how difficult this has been for me. I’m pleased that Bowler has gone and I feel that Dario’s legacy has been destroyed. I’m feeling pretty emotional typing this.

Thanks very much for sharing your views, it is always difficult when a large part of your life has come apart when no fault of your own,  whether reality will dawn on the wider fan base is for the future. 

10 hours ago, Phil1965 said:

I can completely understand how you feel.  If something like this had involved John Rudge (essentially the closest thing we have to Gradi in terms of legacy) we would feel so let down, disappointed and angry.  With Bowler and Gradi going, i hope Crewe can move on with humility and form some kind of future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think something worth remembering in all of this is that child protection is everybody's business, whether you're a 'professional' or just a passer-by or person who has concerns about how a child is being treated. Maybe if one of the people who had concerns about Bennell had gone to the police, he wouldn't have gone on to wreck so many lives. 

The diagram below has always stayed with me. It shows all the people involved in poor little Victoria Climbie's case.

All+these+people+had+information+that+co

All those people and the only person who did anything was the taxi driver in the top left corner.

• Like 2

Advert:

Two of my mates were in Bradwell Scouts. Run by the Longport paedo Terry Scott. They thought it was funny that he squirted toothpaste on their nuts on their camp in a canal barge. 

Adults have a duty to ask questions without condemning kids.

Some of you may know that I had a Stoke on Trent education, if you were Catholic and passed the 11+ you were shipped off on the 8.05 Crewe to Stoke train, boys to St Joseph’s and girls to St Dominic’s. There were on average 5 or 6 Crewe lads in each class, I was there from 1975 to 1980. The best moment was when Stoke lost to Blyth Spartans in the FA Cup, couldn’t stop myself writing STOKE 2 BLYTH SPARTANS 3 on the blackboard! Didn’t go down well! Strangely there were more Crewe fans than Vale fans at the school because everyone seemed to support Stoke in the 70s. Best day of my life when I left that place, the Christian Brothers were a strange bunch!

We had the misfortune to inherit one of the teachers from Holy Jos.

what a complete and utter facist <ovf censored>.

A chap at work who went Jo’s in the 60s reckoned they got a leather strap on their arse if they didn’t bind on properly in the scrum. As Ireland proved nothing Christian about the brothers.

Edited by JohnJames

Yes, the strap was a daily occurrence there. Also one teacher liked the boys to bend over the front desk and apply his trainer with force across your arse. I could name him but I won’t. The same teacher took us on a day trip to Buxton which included a trip to the swimming baths. When we were getting showered he came into the showers with us, stark naked.....

On 29/03/2021 at 17:41, Phil1965 said:

Some of you may know that I had a Stoke on Trent education, if you were Catholic and passed the 11+ you were shipped off on the 8.05 Crewe to Stoke train, boys to St Joseph’s and girls to St Dominic’s. There were on average 5 or 6 Crewe lads in each class, I was there from 1975 to 1980. The best moment was when Stoke lost to Blyth Spartans in the FA Cup, couldn’t stop myself writing STOKE 2 BLYTH SPARTANS 3 on the blackboard! Didn’t go down well! Strangely there were more Crewe fans than Vale fans at the school because everyone seemed to support Stoke in the 70s. Best day of my life when I left that place, the Christian Brothers were a strange bunch!

My Dad went to St Joseph's.  He would have been there before yourself, probably 1961-66 I should think.

The way he talks about the place have often made me wonder if he was abused there.  Sounds like an absolute hell hole where humiliation and beatings were all part of a normal day.

He still has issues that are very visible to me now.

Just shows the huge impact that things that happen to us as children have on our lives.

Advert:

On 30/03/2021 at 17:38, Phil1965 said:

Yes, the strap was a daily occurrence there. Also one teacher liked the boys to bend over the front desk and apply his trainer with force across your arse. I could name him but I won’t. The same teacher took us on a day trip to Buxton which included a trip to the swimming baths. When we were getting showered he came into the showers with us, stark naked.....

Did he teach French/Latin?

On 29/03/2021 at 17:41, Phil1965 said:

Although I'm now a Catholic I didn't have the benefit (?) of a Catholic education in those days. Suffice it to say it's a lot different now.