onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sheldon Report on child abuse in football

Jacko51

I think something worth remembering in all of this is that child protection is everybody's business, whether you're a 'professional' or just a passer-by or person who has concerns about how a child is being treated. Maybe if one of the people who had concerns about Bennell had gone to the police, he wouldn't have gone on to wreck so many lives. 

The diagram below has always stayed with me. It shows all the people involved in poor little Victoria Climbie's case.

All+these+people+had+information+that+co

All those people and the only person who did anything was the taxi driver in the top left corner.

Advert

Some of you may know that I had a Stoke on Trent education, if you were Catholic and passed the 11+ you were shipped off on the 8.05 Crewe to Stoke train, boys to St Joseph’s and girls to St Dominic’s. There were on average 5 or 6 Crewe lads in each class, I was there from 1975 to 1980. The best moment was when Stoke lost to Blyth Spartans in the FA Cup, couldn’t stop myself writing STOKE 2 BLYTH SPARTANS 3 on the blackboard! Didn’t go down well! Strangely there were more Crewe fans than Vale fans at the school because everyone seemed to support Stoke in the 70s. Best day of my life when I left that place, the Christian Brothers were a strange bunch!

We had the misfortune to inherit one of the teachers from Holy Jos.

what a complete and utter facist <ovf censored>.

A chap at work who went Jo’s in the 60s reckoned they got a leather strap on their arse if they didn’t bind on properly in the scrum. As Ireland proved nothing Christian about the brothers.

Yes, the strap was a daily occurrence there. Also one teacher liked the boys to bend over the front desk and apply his trainer with force across your arse. I could name him but I won’t. The same teacher took us on a day trip to Buxton which included a trip to the swimming baths. When we were getting showered he came into the showers with us, stark naked.....

On 29/03/2021 at 17:41, Phil1965 said:

Some of you may know that I had a Stoke on Trent education, if you were Catholic and passed the 11+ you were shipped off on the 8.05 Crewe to Stoke train, boys to St Joseph’s and girls to St Dominic’s. There were on average 5 or 6 Crewe lads in each class, I was there from 1975 to 1980. The best moment was when Stoke lost to Blyth Spartans in the FA Cup, couldn’t stop myself writing STOKE 2 BLYTH SPARTANS 3 on the blackboard! Didn’t go down well! Strangely there were more Crewe fans than Vale fans at the school because everyone seemed to support Stoke in the 70s. Best day of my life when I left that place, the Christian Brothers were a strange bunch!

My Dad went to St Joseph's.  He would have been there before yourself, probably 1961-66 I should think.

The way he talks about the place have often made me wonder if he was abused there.  Sounds like an absolute hell hole where humiliation and beatings were all part of a normal day.

He still has issues that are very visible to me now.

Just shows the huge impact that things that happen to us as children have on our lives.

On 30/03/2021 at 17:38, Phil1965 said:

Yes, the strap was a daily occurrence there. Also one teacher liked the boys to bend over the front desk and apply his trainer with force across your arse. I could name him but I won’t. The same teacher took us on a day trip to Buxton which included a trip to the swimming baths. When we were getting showered he came into the showers with us, stark naked.....

Did he teach French/Latin?

On 29/03/2021 at 17:41, Phil1965 said:

Although I'm now a Catholic I didn't have the benefit (?) of a Catholic education in those days. Suffice it to say it's a lot different now.

In many ways Dario revolutionised how a lower league club could be run, with his emphasis on technical excellence and youth development, but it came with a terrible cost to young lives, and Dario has to shoulder some of the blame, along with the board of the club. The success the club enjoyed in the 90s and early 2000s was excellent at the time, but now we know the awful truth about what happened before then.

Archived