onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sheldon Report on child abuse in football

Jacko51

17 minutes ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

It will be a very interesting Praise and Grumble on Friday and Saturday on Radio Stoke. 🤔🤔

It won't be because they won't let anyone on who wants to talk about it.

Even if you try to be clever and lie about what you want to talk about, they'll just cut you off.

Advert

9 hours ago, Doha said:

Love how when that Crewe fan tries to defend Dario, Chris unsworth chimes in and shuts him down.

7 hours ago, Santa said:

It won't be because they won't let anyone on who wants to talk about it.

Even if you try to be clever and lie about what you want to talk about, they'll just cut you off.

I’d love someone to try, just to make them decide whether they are going to be journalists or not. Cutting the topic off will be a bad look for them.

2 hours ago, Andyregs said:

Love how when that Crewe fan tries to defend Dario, Chris unsworth chimes in and shuts him down.

I’d love someone to try, just to make them decide whether they are going to be journalists or not. Cutting the topic off will be a bad look for them.

They do it often enough if they don't like what the caller is saying

I'm not one of those "in the know"
I don't know anyone who is, I don't have the ear of anyone at any football club.
I'm just an ordinary fan who loves football and supports Port Vale
I do know that even way back rumours were rife regarding DG whilst he was at Crewe and there's generally no smoke without fire as they say.
It's shameful what went on but even more shocking is that it went on with people's knowledge or suspicion.
God knows what it did to those young lads and subsequently their lives moving forward but those that perpetrated these vile acts should forever rot in Hell, and I include those also that most surely also knew what was going on but refused to step in.
As for the statement and Crewes position it smacks of blind arrogance, denial and puts them (in my view) as the same bracket as those who claim the Holocaust never happened.
Hang your heads in shame you vile, evil creatures.

13 hours ago, Walter said:
17 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:
Crewe statement.

https://www.crewealex.net/news/2021/march/club-statement---sheldon-review/

The club acknowledges the findings of Mr Sheldon QC that, notwithstanding the club may still not have got to the truth of any matters at that time, more could have been done to monitor the situation concerning Mr Bennell. 

The club is truly sorry if there were in fact any warning signs that ought to have led the club to do more.  Had the club had any suspicion or belief that Mr Bennell was committing acts of abuse, either before, during or after he left the club’s employment, the club would have informed the police immediately.

The club wishes to make it absolutely clear that it sincerely regrets and is disgusted by the terrible crimes committed by Mr Bennell upon many young footballers over a significant number of years.  The despicable abuse committed by Mr Bennell was abhorrent and the club continues to have the deepest sympathy for the victims and survivors of Mr Bennell.

The club fully understands the additional hurt and trauma to the victims and survivors of Mr Bennell which has been caused by the fact that no one at the club was aware of the offences being committed upon them at the time.  The club wholeheartedly regrets and is sorry to every survivor of abuse that it was unaware of Bennell’s offending.

The report of Clive Sheldon rightly acknowledges that for most of the period of Mr Bennell’s and others’ offending there was little or no guidance on child protection available to those working in sport or society in general. The club acknowledges that awareness of child protection matters and systems of safeguarding in football and in society have now improved considerably and safeguarding has become an integral part of the club’s everyday life.

The club acknowledges however that improvements to safeguarding can always be made and the club accepts the recommendations made by Clive Sheldon QC to ensure our safeguarding procedures remain as robust as possible.

The club also acknowledges the contributions made by all individuals to the report of Clive Sheldon QC and reiterates its deepest sympathy to all those victims and survivors of Mr Bennell.

This is a really poor statement in my opinion.

Loads of smoke and mirrors misdirection in the statement. 

Fennel gets pointed at quite a number of times as the bad guy...... Sheldon gets highlighted as the good guy a couple of times...... but there is a huge gap inbetween which is avoided and left blank.

Everything points to Bennell and Sheldon is doing the pointing ...... crew knew nothing at all and suspected nothing at all even though a member of staff tried to cover up/silence a simmilar situation that occured at another club he and bennell worked at.

3 hours ago, Doha said:

I wonder if the silence is in anticipation of this.

3 episodes, episode 2 is titled 'missed opportunities' - sound familiar? 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ths2

BBC1 Monday at 9pm.

Yes @Doha I've just seen that too. I think it will be a harrowing watch but if it helps reveal more about who was involved, who was complicit, then it's good it's going to be broadcast.

Hi all,

Just a quick reminder of rules...

This thread discusses upsetting and distressing issues. It is not here to point score against other clubs but to discuss a report into incidents of horrendous child abuse. I hope we would post on here as human beings concerned about people being driven to despair though abuse and which club you support shouldn't come into it.

Please keep to the facts and the topic.

If you think a post is offensive and/or breaks rules please report it and the team will deal with it ASAP.

Thanks,

Rob

2 hours ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

Probably,but he resigned as a Director in September 2019.I wonder why🤔

he was forced to step down by the FA. He had the audacity to tell me that he thought the FA had it in for him because he turned down the England u21 job in around 1990ish (cant remember exact year he said)

Archived