onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sheldon Report on child abuse in football

Jacko51

1 minute ago, Loggerheads Sage said:

Radio Stoke are reporting on it. Lead item on the news, question to listeners   _  should Gradi be stripped of MBE?  etc.   I personally think he has got off lightly with this report,   it doesn't seem to link his involvement at Chelsea AND Crewe.  Says he wasn't aware of it but had heard rumours. Yeah,  right.  After Chelsea,  if he was innocent,  he would have jumped all over it at crewe immediately. 

At least they are now covering it then.

I also saw a piece in the Sentinel website about it too.

Nothing on the Crewe Chronicle site though which is a more "Crewe" newspaper than the Sentinel.

Advert

9 minutes ago, Doha said:

Lads, you can't not report those three points. You simply can't. If you have done and I've missed it I apologise, but failing to report all of the QCs findings in an impartial manner is really, really bad. 

I used to write sports reports on a website some time back. I joined the NUJ as a result although I'm no longer a member (as my standard of writing probably shows).

However, I wonder if those fellas are and if they are aware of the NUJ's own code of conduct, especially the last line:

1. A journalist should fully realise his personal responsibility for everything he sends to his paper or agency. He should keep union and professional secrets and respect all necessary confidences regarding sources of information and private documents. He should not falsify information or distort or misrepresent facts.

1 hour ago, tommytunstall said:

Understand what you are saying. But sure Doha said it as a joke. I worked in Crewe for nearly 40 years, and I can assure you the things that that the Crewies said about us Clayheads were worse.

The thing is an apology and a bit of humility from the Crewe board would go a long way to closing this.

I agree with everything that has been said about the Crewe board and how the local media have all swept it under the carpet. Of course as local rivals we will slate each other mercilessly. I was just stating that i know quite a few of their fans who are truly ashamed of how their club has reacted to this and not all of them are in denial.

Just now, mbycars said:

I agree with everything that has been said about the Crewe board and how the local media have all swept it under the carpet. Of course as local rivals we will slate each other mercilessly. I was just stating that i know quite a few of their fans who are truly ashamed of how their club has reacted to this and not all of them are in denial.

That's very fair. 

8 minutes ago, robf said:

Hi folks - for obvious reasons can we not "speculate" too much on the reasons for Dario Gradi's FA ban or speculate on if he's "protected".

I'm now going to tweak a few posts. 

Most are facts so shouldn't need much tweaking Rob,hopefully 😁

22 hours ago, robf said:

It could so easily have been Port Vale - Bennell was offered a job at Vale which never happened because he was then arrested. 

I'm pretty sure I can guess who the "official" is.

image.thumb.png.5fbcea5a2d43a6d122ad7338e607fa68.png

To be honest, I'm not overly concerned as to the level of Gradi's involvement. The victims, people like Andy Woodward who is constantly having thoughts of suicide, will never ever get anything approaching closure whilst Crewe are so intent on protecting their bank balance. They knocked down 25 Cromwell Street, I hope Crewe goes the same way.

1 hour ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

Most are facts so shouldn't need much tweaking Rob,hopefully 😁

Sure. I'm not editing out anything mentioned in the report or quoted from it as those items are now published and reported 😉

What is being removed is any further speculation on anyone's involvement, knowledge etc which isn't mentioned in the report as (obviously) those are not reported facts but are guesswork/hearsay.

By all means mention the things in the report. I think it's important they are discussed.

However, just remember this is a public forum and you're potentially liable for what you say and allege. In legal terms, if you say something and then can't prove it then you could be in big trouble. It's my role as a responsible website owner to remind everyone of that when it's a contentious subject.

I think the things mentioned in the report (and the FA statement on the life ban) are in themselves damning enough, personally and I certainly think it's a massive, important issue well worthy of discussion and dissection on here.

23 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

It's the present administration who refuse to apologise and refuse to hold an inquiry. These refusals by the people at the head of the club continue to impact negatively on people who were sexually abused as children. If my club had high-fiving lawyers rather than statements of genuine shame and regret over what happened, I'd hope we'd be putting a lot of pressure on the board to rectify this. 

from what i remember about it, the board when questioned over this just said words to the effect of "no  comment, " and when pushed said "no comment theres a police investigation". Whereas Man. City accepted a degree of responsibility, and there was some compensation mentioned, which i thought was descent of them as they did,nt do as Crwho did and shut up shop and stay quiet, hoping it would go away...

Archived