onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sheldon Report on child abuse in football

Jacko51

Advert

Has anyone involved in the investigation actually named Dario or any of the other clubs managers as having the knowledge of what was going on. It’ll never be proven and will always be alleged that they did know.

My thoughts are with the all theyoung lads who were abused for wanting to fulfill a dream that many of us had as young boys. 🙏🏽

They refused to elaborate, further, but asked why Gradi had been suspended from football, Polly Handford, the FA’s director of legal and governance, said: “Where someone is removed from football for safeguarding reasons that will be because we have seen that there has been an assessment that that particular individual could potentially cause or pose a risk of harm to children, and that’s as far as we can go.”

I think the fans boil down to 3 groups when something bad happens.

1 they just won't believe it no matter what because it's their club

2 they don't want to believe it even when there is evidence because it's their club.

3 they do believe and feel ashamed for the club they support

We have seen it here when things have happened at Vale. Not similar things with such magnitude, just the crap that's happened in our not to distant past.

Child abuse is one of the very few things in life that still boils my urine.

For those that did know I would recommend genital mutilation. For those involved I would recommend a lobotomy via their sphincter, preferably with something white hot and very large.

That's just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, Doha said:

They only have about three forum posts a month so it's the best you're going to get, internet penetration in Crewe only marginally leads widespread access to clean drinking water in the town. 

You've done me again Doha.  Don't know how you think of these quotes😆

Here's a link to the full report. Obviously it's a massive pdf file and I'll have a proper read in my own time. However, something doesn't seem to stack up.

https://the-fa.com/7ZFDqu

Para 2.49, page 26:

At Crewe Alexandra, Bennell was employed as a youth coach and youth scout between January 1985 and September 1989, and from August 1990 to January 1992. Cheshire Constabulary carried out a detailed investigation of what might have been known by the Club about Bennell’s abuse and concluded that “there is no evidence to corroborate Crewe Alexandra Football Club were aware of what Bennell was doing.” I have seen no evidence that could properly lead me to a different conclusion.

Para 2.51, further down the same page:

There were also rumours circulating about Bennell and his sexual interest in children, and I am satisfied that these were heard by some of the Club’s staff, in particular the coaching staff.

Para 9.2.176, page 440:

I am also satisfied that, during Bennell’s time at the Club, there were rumours circulating about him and his sexual interest in children which were heard by some of the Club’s staff, including Dario Gradi. 

The report basically concludes that 'Crewe' as an institution were probably at least aware of allegations against Bennell and did nothing, but there's no corroborative evidence. Crewe fans should be keeping their heads down and thanking their lucky stars, but to be gloating on social media when the report is fairly clear is an awful look. For the club to avoid the issue, the fans to be engaging in self-denial, and the Crewe press to be plugging their eyes is abhorrent. 

image.thumb.png.572df804d4a3d93a8cb05635481ff59c.png

image.thumb.png.dc1ac0f26f8d73a6c7fec1df92837542.png

3 hours ago, robf said:

So where I have a problem is lumping all supporters together. For instance we already have one Crewe fan on here who's obviously troubled by it. 

I would certainly agree that some fans (I don't know what proportion and I don't anyone can) are trying to sweep it under the carpet and that is clearly disgusting. But as is clear on here with all the multitude of views of Vale fans on everything - manager, players, politics - it's not as simple as just labelling it as "their supporters". They are not one entity with one single view. Some are clearly troubled.

Have any Crewe supporters groups made any kind of statement condemning what happened? Have any supporters formed any kind of pressure groups urging the board to do the right thing? Has there been any comment whatsoever from anyone attached to the fanbase stating how abhorrent the abuse was and asking the board of their club to say sorry or pushed for an inquiry? Not a <ovf censored> peep.  I'm well aware that there will be many individuals who support the club who are as horrified as you and I about what has happened but as far as I'm concerned, if your club have done this, then you do what you can as a fanbase to correct it. You certainly don't send out tweets eulogising a man who doesn't see the harm in putting your hands down a child's trousers.

If this had happened at Vale and our board acted the way the Crewe's have, at the very very very least, I'd expect to see a OVF editorial and a thread urging the board to show some contrition. That's the very least that would happen. I don't want the Crewe fans punished for what's happened but if their cub is brought to it's knees because of this, I wouldn't shed a tear for their supporters. 

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Problem is that Bennell's claims are uncorroborated claims from a 2003 case and he has refused to assist with this enquiry. No action is going to be taken, and you do have to question the legitimacy of claims by such an evil man.

Having a longer read of that, Bennell in his 2003 evidence was also making allegations about Gradi himself. As you say he's as an unreliable witness.

4 hours ago, robf said:

So where I have a problem is lumping all supporters together. For instance we already have one Crewe fan on here who's obviously troubled by it. 

I would certainly agree that some fans (I don't know what proportion and I don't anyone can) are trying to sweep it under the carpet and that is clearly disgusting. But as is clear on here with all the multitude of views of Vale fans on everything - manager, players, politics - it's not as simple as just labelling it as "their supporters". They are not one entity with one single view. Some are clearly troubled.

However, on the flip side, there are some entities which have been shameful in avoiding the issue. That's the local media. The Crewe Chronicle the LOCAL PAPER for Pete's sake isn't even covering the story on their website. Have Radio Stoke mentioned it? The local media have been absolutely terrible on wishing an awful story to just go away. 

Our LOCAL paper has covered it as a general story BUT NO COMMENTS are allowed!BIAS AT IT'S BEST SENTINEL!!

2 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Has anyone involved in the investigation actually named Dario or any of the other clubs managers as having the knowledge of what was going on. It’ll never be proven and will always be alleged that they did know.

My thoughts are with the all theyoung lads who were abused for wanting to fulfill a dream that many of us had as young boys. 🙏🏽

Why has Gradi been banned for life by the FA if he was totally innocent in these goings on?

Archived