Match Thread: Colchester United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Good to see Rodders scoring crucial goals for us in the last couple of games too.  Although he is still a bit hot and cold, his goals have been so important for us this season, and I think he will get better under Clarke. 

• Like 1

Back to back wins almost forgot what it felt like. Its no coincidence the wins have come with Monty,Manny and Wozza back from injuries.

Real hard working performance today, pressed them really well and when they did manage to get in  our box we closed them down and blocked shots.Decent away performance overall. I was never concerned we would concede although my confidence was helped by the dire Colchester scoring stats.

Should have put the game to bed in the 1st half but mixture of bad decision with the final ball and a poor miss from Robinson but we are starting to look a decent side again. I think we still need 6 points to be sure of safety which I expect we will do.

I think the squad has a look of togetherness now so hats off to Clarke installing that into the team. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Lornelounger said:

Good to see Rodders scoring crucial goals for us in the last couple of games too.  Although he is still a bit hot and cold, his goals have been so important for us this season, and I think he will get better under Clarke. 

12 goals so far this season is a great return for any players first full season. Could easily get 15 which is decent by anyone’s standards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, MBE said:

Back to back wins almost forgot what it felt like. Its no coincidence the wins have come with Monty,Manny and Wozza back from injuries.

Real hard working performance today, pressed them really well and when they did manage to get in  our box we closed them down and blocked shots.Decent away performance overall. I was never concerned we would concede although my confidence was helped by the dire Colchester scoring stats.

Should have put the game to bed in the 1st half but mixture of bad decision with the final ball and a poor miss from Robinson but we are starting to look a decent side again. I think we still need 6 points to be sure of safety which I expect we will do.

I think the squad has a look of togetherness now so hats off to Clarke installing that into the team. 

You think that Southend, who have picked up 3 points from their last 5 games and averaged less than a point a game all season, are going to pick up 16 points in their last 10 games?

Edited by Quebec_Valiant
  • Like 1

Actually quite chuffed Leon's got a clause for another year. Excellent in basically every game since he came back.

He clearly needs managing with his minutes but he's still a good defender at this level when protected by a good structure, as he has been since Clarke arrived. 

• Like 3

What impressed me today was that we changed system and the players seemed to know what they were supposed to do, that has rarely happened at the Vale, hats off to the manager and coaches.

It was the right decision to bring in the extra height of Brisley to cope with their big players and he had a good game.

Rodney is continuing to get better and looks a great signing and without him we would be relegated.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

It was the right decision to bring in the extra height of Brisley to cope with their big players and he had a good game.

Worked quite nicely in the first half, with Monty moving forward into a left wing position and Smith tucking inside to form a back three when we had possession. Enabled Rodney, Conlon, and Monty to overwhelm Welch-Hayes, which is where the goal came from and the tap in which Robinson should have buried. Monty's versatility and ability to contribute at both ends is very useful. 

Was a clear tactical plan and Clarke had obviously identified the right side of defence as the weak point. If Robinson had scored then its 2-0 and the plan has sealed the win within 30 minutes. We made hard work of it but that was to be expected with them scrapping for it second half.

Edited by Joe B

7 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Yes, probably the only bright thing to come out of a dull and dismal season

I would say Conlon has also been a bright point too - he has also chipped in with some useful goals and now he is playing further forward again, he is a handy midfielder at this level.  I mean, we are 19th in Divison 4 for a reason, but I think some of our players have done okay despite that - Worrall has obviously done his best for us too.  Will be interesting to see who is retained when the great ridout begins.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quebec_Valiant said:

You think that Southend, who have picked up 3 points from their last 5 games and averaged less than a point a game all season, are going to pick up 16 points in their last 10 games?

Who would have thought Barrow would win 4 in a row??

Most seasons there's always at least 1 of the bottom 2 who start to pull results out of nowhere. We are in strong position at present with our goal difference but we still need points on the board. It only needs Grimsby and/or Southend to put 7 points from 3 games then all of sudden it will get congested down at the bottom.

As we have seen with  Vale it only takes 1 win for confidence to return and a team can look very different.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Gordon Lee said:

is that the goon who said we were lucky to beat Newport ? Eddie put him right.

😆

Sounds like he’s been at the wine gums again

Edited by Bald Eagle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1