onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Colchester United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Should be as it was. Even if there is an improvement these players have been a disgrace this season and should be moved on. So far the only one I would keep who I wouldn’t have done a few weeks back is crookes 

Crookes and Mills have massively improved under Clarke in fairness to them. Don’t really think their issues were as much attitude either.

Will be an interesting summer though.

The cynic in me says that after managing just 4 wins in 25 games, we aren't going to suddenly win two out of two.

I'd take a draw right now but please just don't lose this game today.

Need Grimsby and Southend to both lose today too. A win for them and loss for us would reduce that nice 8 point gap down to 5 again.

31 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

The cynic in me says that after managing just 4 wins in 25 games, we aren't going to suddenly win two out of two.

I'd take a draw right now but please just don't lose this game today.

Need Grimsby and Southend to both lose today too. A win for them and loss for us would reduce that nice 8 point gap down to 5 again.

2:0 win today cant see us conceding and hopefully we will pick up a goal or two

48 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Crookes and Mills have massively improved under Clarke in fairness to them. Don’t really think their issues were as much attitude either.

Will be an interesting summer though.

Agree. Looks like mills just was way off in terms of fitness. Long way to go but he’s looked ok recently. 

For me regardless of how we do in the last 10 matches of the season we need a massive clear out.  Too many of these players have failed under a number of managers.  In the 2018/2019 season, Brown, Gibbons, Montano, Joyce, Legge, Worrall, Oyeleke, Pope, Crookes, Smith and Conlon all played over 20 games that season for us and when August starts 3 years later we cannot be having the majority still with us.  In those 3 years, 2 years we have been absoutely awful and of the other season, we had 6 months in mid-table and a 9 game spell where we were decent and got into contention. 

Joe Davis has written a good article on the rigours of a  Micky pre-season, which the likes of Chris Neal, Charlie Raglan, and Jordan Hugill attest to in the replies.

https://medium.com/@josephsdavis6/vomit-trentham-hills-and-fully-clothed-baths-how-the-old-school-micky-adams-philosophy-united-a-a0bc2ec27b7a

He makes an interesting point; whilst sport science and data is a valuable part of the modern game, you still need the natural charisma and leadership to galvanise a group of men behind you, to ensure that their commitment levels and 'fight' is good enough to get over the line when quality doesn't show up (York away in 12/13 sticks in my mind, very turgid but Hughesy, Griff et al dragged us through).

Its great to see Flitcroft looking to implement all of the aforementioned 'modern' stuff but we need to ensure we get the right characters in this summer; not enough Griff/Purse types in this squad, proper trench warfare merchants who lack ability but drag you through poor quality games. We've thrown away so many points this season through a lack of fitness and the cliched 'bottle'. The likes of Purse and Griff wouldn't have allowed the Walsall and Tranmere debacles. 

I actually miss Griff the longer we go without signing anyone who can perform his job to a similar level. Never a footballer but certain games he was just dominant, spoiling games single-handedly and, from what is said, vital in creating the right atmosphere in the dressing room and tunnel. 

5 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Joe Davis has written a good article on the rigours of a  Micky pre-season, which the likes of Chris Neal, Charlie Raglan, and Jordan Hugill attest to in the replies.

https://medium.com/@josephsdavis6/vomit-trentham-hills-and-fully-clothed-baths-how-the-old-school-micky-adams-philosophy-united-a-a0bc2ec27b7a

He makes an interesting point; whilst sport science and data is a valuable part of the modern game, you still need the natural charisma and leadership to galvanise a group of men behind you, to ensure that their commitment levels and 'fight' is good enough to get over the line when quality doesn't show up (York away in 12/13 sticks in my mind, very turgid but Hughesy, Griff et al dragged us through).

Its great to see Flitcroft looking to implement all of the aforementioned 'modern' stuff but we need to ensure we get the right characters in this summer; not enough Griff/Purse types in this squad, proper trench warfare merchants who lack ability but drag you through poor quality games. We've thrown away so many points this season through a lack of fitness and the cliched 'bottle'. 

I actually miss Griff the longer we go without signing anyone who can perform his job to a similar level. Never a footballer but certain games he was just dominant, spoiling games single-handedly and, from what is said, vital in creating the right atmosphere in the dressing room and tunnel. 

That York game is a great point . Huge result in the context of the season.

I think that's what Evatt meant last week saying it was Bolton's best win of the season. Some people construed it as Vale were brilliant !! 

Griff was an enforcer who did a great job and who can forget his Torquay screamer 

12 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

That York game is a great point . Huge result in the context of the season.

I think that's what Evatt meant last week saying it was Bolton's best win of the season. Some people construed it as Vale were brilliant !! 

Griff was an enforcer who did a great job and who can forget his Torquay screamer 

We were in dire form, pitch was diabolical and our toilets were a pipe against a brick wall with no roof. I want to say Birchall and Griff were in the middle.

Hughes demonstrated what he was about in that game. Proper leadership, defensive organisation, work rate, and scored the second. We need that sort of mentality back at the club. For whatever reason, Stoke-on-Trent teams have only succeeded in recent years when being physical, nasty, hard-working sides. For all our talent that year, in the messy run it in was Hughes, Pope, Yates, Griff, Purse etc that saw us over the line, and Micky knew that.

When Flitcroft talks about an identity I'd be going straight for that. Get some b*stards in and bully our way to promotion. Worry about good football when we're playing teams who bring more than 20 fans. Create a siege mentality, have a dressing room full of big, horrible orcs, all in peak condition. Win at all costs. 

In American sports, a massive part of the pre-draft process (where teams sign new players, to simplify) is 'character'. The teams do extensive research and interviews so they know exactly what sort of character they're getting. Beyond the stuff like 'is he a sound lad', a lot is done to see how they react to adversity, whether they need to be picked up or rollicked after a poor game, whether they enjoy the daily grind of training.

As per, we're miles behind in our sports. Character matters, and imo its part of the reason this season has gone so awry. 

6 minutes ago, Joe B said:

We were in dire form, pitch was diabolical and our toilets were a pipe against a brick wall with no roof. I want to say Birchall and Griff were in the middle.

Hughes demonstrated what he was about in that game. Proper leadership, defensive organisation, work rate, and scored the second. We need that sort of mentality back at the club. For whatever reason, Stoke-on-Trent teams have only succeeded in recent years when being physical, nasty, hard-working sides. For all our talent that year, in the messy run it in was Hughes, Pope, Yates, Griff, Purse etc that saw us over the line, and Micky knew that.

When Flitcroft talks about an identity I'd be going straight for that. Get some b*stards in and bully our way to promotion. Worry about good football when we're playing teams who bring more than 20 fans. Create a siege mentality, have a dressing room full of big, horrible orcs, all in peak condition. Win at all costs. 

Correct. I said it during the game and I'll say it again, Newport were 4th because the manager had drilled them into a group of cynical shlthouses. That's the only difference in this crap league. 

31 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Its great to see Flitcroft looking to implement all of the aforementioned 'modern' stuff but we need to ensure we get the right characters in this summer; not enough Griff/Purse types in this squad, proper trench warfare merchants who lack ability but drag you through poor quality games. We've thrown away so many points this season through a lack of fitness and the cliched 'bottle'. The likes of Purse and Griff wouldn't have allowed the Walsall and Tranmere debacles. 

I remember the York away game as it was a birthday outing.  I dont think we had won in 6 or something going into that one. 

I cant see anything but an away win today and 7/5 is printing money. (Don't quote me on that later!) 

Archived