Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

Fosse69

The thing is, although I doubt many would put Robinson in the starting line up on here, Clarke obviously prefers him to Cullen. I can see Guthrie making a return, unless we pack the midfield and get them running back and forth supporting Rodney alone up front. I would still rather see a midfielder with an eye for goal play up front rather than a “striker” who can’t / won’t / refuses to shoot.

Advert:

With the way our season is going you just know we will huff & puff for 89 minutes missing several great chances to either create or score and then Nicky Maynard will come on as a sub for Newport and score with his only touch probably set up by 42 year old Kevin Ellison.

23 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I wonder why Bowers thinks that Manny is the answer to our goalscoring issues, 5 league goals in his time with us? Hardly prolific.

That’s pretty good in 3 starts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I fear we will regret this one being postponed when the pitch was frozen... they had as many injuries and suspensions as we do now and were struggling to adapt... 

Unfortunately I think the majority of those players are back now and they have picked up again.

• Like 2

Advert:

7 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

We have a bigger problem upfront Rob.

I just wish vale . Could have a Bit of Luck . May be by getting a sloppy Goal .or just on a Rebound .of someone . It’s always the other Team that seems to get Luck . Or Goal . I Love Vale . 3 points please on Tuesday night . Up the Vale . 

• Like 2

Has Cullen started a game yet under the new manager ?
I know he seems no better or worse option at the moment to anyone else up front but I do think he has goals in him and maybe he could offer something different given a full 90 minutes.
Whether or not he shows this on the training ground I don't know and 5 minutes here or there when we are chasing a game isn't enough in my view, indeed yesterday he seemed to spend more half-time closer to our 18 yard box than he did Boltons.
Why aren't our strikers told to stay as far up the field as possible when we need a goal?
Yes, perhaps losing a second goal definitely kills us off so maybe he thoight he was needed in defence but yesterday was a freebie given Boltons form so why not keep strikers where they should be?
Personally I'd try a 3-5-2 starting line with Cullen and Guthrie with Rodney and Worrall in support.
We really do need a win to boost morale for the whole club and give us a springboard for the forthcoming games.
Hopefully it's time for a bit of good fortune, Lord knows we deserve some.

• Like 1

Advert:

I’ve asked the question and so have others but I haven’t seen or heard anything from the club, regarding the proposed return date for TP. There’s no good news about the club at the moment, so please provide us with TP’s situation to boost morale. Some fans including myself see the bloke as the only person capable of saving our league status, a bit like three seasons ago. What’s happening with PR at the club.? If he’s out for the season then just tell us.

21 minutes ago, Bimbleabout said:

2/0 to the Vale. This is the one guys emoji123.pngemoji4.png

Bimble nice to see a positive opinion regarding our current situation. I’m wondering if your just a naturally positive person or on drugs. I hope it’s not the latter 👍

Edited by Playa Amodores

6 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I’ve asked the question and so have others but I haven’t seen or heard anything from the club, regarding the proposed return date for TP. There’s no good news about the club at the moment, so please provide us with TP’s situation to boost morale. Some fans including myself see the bloke as the only person capable of saving our league status, a bit like three seasons ago. What’s happening with PR at the club.? If he’s out for the season then just tell us.

Tony Pulis is the last person who I want at The Vale

• Like 1

I think it will be kept quiet until he appears on the team sheet. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

I think it will be kept quiet until he appears on the team sheet. 

But why. If we knew when he would be fit it would give us something to look forward to. I feel sorry for putting our league status on TP’s and Dave Worall’s shoulders. But that’s how I see it, others will see it differently and I respect their opinion, but Clarke says he’s given almost every player a chance.

Advert:

The main tactical problem is, that we set up not to concede. And when we almost inevitably do, the change from all out defending to chasing a goal, is just to big for the players. Then he throws on 3-4-5 attacking players, but we then play with no plan, and just hope the fact we have attackers on the pitch, will lead to a goal. I absolutely 100% agree with what he has done, in tightening up at the back. And that, as he said himself, comes with the price of losing out further up the pitch. But if he wants to react by throwing a handful of attackers on the pitch when we go behind, the players need to know how to play when we do. As it looks right now, they just punt it up and hope for the best, because there’s no plan when he changes it. And that is just, sorry to say, poor from DC. You can’t expect the players to perform, in a formation or tactic you haven’t trained. Maybe they have and I’m wrong, but it sure looks as if they haven’t.

• Like 2

But why. If we knew when he would be fit it would give us something to look forward to. I feel sorry for putting our league status on TP’s and Dave Worall’s shoulders. But that’s how I see it, others will see it differently and I respect their opinion, but Clarke says he’s given almost every player a chance.

I would suspect to wrong foot the opposition, having said that he will wrong foot me (not that it matters) and say tomorrow Pope is being saved for the smaller pitch at Colchester. 

As poor as he's been, I'd take Guthrie missing sitters and in some way contributing over the inconsequential void of Robinson. 

I just want to feel something with this team. Even if its unbridled rage at incompetence, it's better than the vacuum non-entity we've seen in recent games. Just give me a reason to lean forward. 

It's a sad state of affairs up top.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2