Virtual Meeting

3 hours ago, werstayinup said:

He said he wanted the players to know it was a privilege to play for port vale and that's why but not sure how it fits in me sen

It's the Schools philosophy in which everyone wearing the uniform of their School feels they belong and are proud to represent it. Upgraded for adults, of course - but when was the last time you saw Cup Final opponents wearing any old tat?

1 minute ago, Guitar Ray said:

Did Clarke mean shirt and tie on match days or all week?  Out of interest, do Man City and the other top Premiership teams rock up in their Sunday best on a match day?

Just got match day. I think in the Premier League it's all official club tracksuits. Which is a kind of suit I suppose

6 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Just got match day. I think in the Premier League it's all official club tracksuits. Which is a kind of suit I suppose

"official club tracksuits"......."a kind of suit".  Where do you live, Longton?  Do you need to wear brogues with that or are polished trainers OK?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Did Clarke mean shirt and tie on match days or all week?  Out of interest, do Man City and the other top Premiership teams rock up in their Sunday best on a match day?

I'm sure Man Utd do.

• Thanks 2

I guess that as a scruffy lifelong motorcyclist I am aware of how people judge others instantly on their first meeting. I have met lots of people in my work life and can tell that some make assumptions about me based on my appearance. I am concerned that this subconscious bias  might creep in to the recruitment process for our footballers if too much emphasis is placed upon it. I have nothing against our players looking smart on match day, but suits should really be reserved for special occasions, such as cup finals in my view.

Also, the last thing we need really is for a player to feel uncomfortable because he has forgotten his best suit when travelling a long way by car to a game. This could affect how he plays. There are no merit points for appearance in League 2. 🙂

9 hours ago, LancyTony said:

It's the Schools philosophy in which everyone wearing the uniform of their School feels they belong and are proud to represent it. Upgraded for adults, of course - but when was the last time you saw Cup Final opponents wearing any old tat?

Totally agree there with what you are saying

On a side note when i was at school in the 70's and 80's we never wore a uniform it was just your normal clothes,uniforms came in at the schools i was at the year after i left in 88 i think

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

"official club tracksuits"......."a kind of suit".  Where do you live, Longton?  Do you need to wear brogues with that or are polished trainers OK?

Nowt wrong with Longton me owd fruit 😉 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

DC said he wants them to turn up to the club on matchday when fans are there wearing shirt and tie

2 hours ago, werstayinup said:

DC said he wants them to turn up to the club on matchday when fans are there wearing shirt and tie

The fans have to wear suits now as well?!

• Haha 1

maybe we should concentrate on keeping our league status rather than what clothes the players turn up in!!!! Embarrassing.

Focus on now and is actually winning a game of football instead of numerous excuses, too many injuries .... players aren’t fit.... we only have one defensive midfielder.... we don’t turn up in suits. 

We could be in non league next year focus on that!!!! 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

All this talk of medicals inspired me to do a bit of research:

Brown signings
David Worrall: hernia operation 2013 but otherwise excellent; allegedly whiplash from a car accident (2018–19), only actually missed around 10 games in 2020–21
Tom Pope: metatarsal, groin, knee but always good for 40-50 games a season; hernia (2017–18), hamstring (2018–19), broken arm (2020–21) but still good for 40+ games a season other than this season with his ten game suspension and broken arm
Cristian Montaño: 30 game a season man but doesn't seem to have had big injuries and just seems not to have been selected every week; at Vale hamstring (2017–18), knee (2018–19), hamstring again (2019–20) causing him to miss around 15 games a season

Aspin signings
Scott Brown: excellent history; excellent at Vale
Adam Crookes: no real history due to age; at Vale had "freak training accident" (2019–20) otherwise fine but not often selected anyway
Luke Joyce: excellent history; excellent at Vale
Leon Legge: shoulder (2017–18) but otherwise good; excellent at Vale
Manny Oyeleke: "leg", "long-term", hamstring but not the worst injury record in the world; awful injury record at Vale, calf and numerous hamstring problems
Tom Conlon: cruciate knee ligament injury (serious - nine months out in 2016–17) suspect injury record; at Vale thigh (2018–19),  hamstring (2019–20) but has generally been okay with injuries at Vale Park and played more games than anyone this season
Daniel Trickett-Smith: struggled with injuries in his youth, don't think injuries have much hindered his progress

Askey signings
Theo Robinson: okay he's played over 500 games in his career, I think injuries aren't this guy's problems
Mark Cullen: shin (2011–12), hamstring & groin (2017–18) POOR INJURY HISTORY that was well known; God knows what's happened here, I'm guessing he's been injured most of this season and management seems to have given up on him
Zak Mills: hamstring (2016–17), hamstring (2017–18) - hamstring? hamstring!; hamstring (2020-21) - hamstring? hamstring!
Shaun Brisley: unusual hip injury which required surgery (2010–11); at Vale medial ligament knee injury (2019–20)
Danny Whitehead: can't see any big injury issues; apparently had some niggling injuries here but low on the pecking order regardless
David Amoo: missed ten games (2011–12), ankle (2014–15), various small injuries (2017–18) POOR INJURY HISTORY but signed off the back of a 49 game season; avoided injuries all last season but now we see hamstring and other small injuries (2020–21)
Scott Burgess: only a young lad and no injury issues
Devante Rodney: only a young lad and no injury issues
Harry McKirdy: 5 month lay-off as a youth-team player but otherwise no injury issues
David Fitzpatrick: no injury issues and seems to be fit for 40-50 appearances a season
Alex Hurst: only a young lad and no injury issues
Dino Visser: no injury history; hamstring (2020–21) HOW DOES A GOALKEEPER GET A HAMSTRING INJURY?

Pugh signings
Kurtis Guthrie: ankle (2017–18) but otherwise fine; seems fine here injury wise
Jake Taylor: only a young lad and no injury issues
Mustapha Olagunju: only a young lad and no injury issues
Will Swan: only a young lad and no injury issues

From Youth team
James Gibbons: hip (month 2018–19), knee & hamstring (most of 2020–21 season)
Nathan Smith: excellent
Ryan Campbell-Gordon: only a young lad and no injury issues

Small niggling injuries that cause a player to miss a couple of games at a time probably won't make it into my research. You need to pay a professional to look at stuff like that. But these six players I would imagine flagged up warnings based on performance medicals, according to me (not a doctor!):

RED DANGER! Very likely to break down, be very careful about even signing them:

Oyeleke, Cullen - well hey, and they have been crocked for their entire time with us

Conlon - I'm guessing that's partly why Stevenage released him but he has been fine with us

AMBER WARNING! Likely to break down, keep an eye on them:

Amoo, Montaño, Mills - well they've usually been available but have missed chunks of games at various points whilst with us, to be expected really

I believe we have taken risks with these players, two did not pay off, one has and the other three have been mixed (injury wise). Brown signed one, Aspin signed one and Askey signed three (please bear in mind we may have already released crocks signed by Brown and Aspin, skewing the figures to make Askey look more reckless). I would suggest we probably signed 3-4 more players with suspect injury records than we should have been willing to take chances on. But still, this is only part of the explanation for our injury troubles this season, as suggested by the fact that our back-up goalkeeper is out with a hamstring injury.

edit: actually reading back Oyeleke and Montaño were okay when they first signed for us, but we did offer them new contracts after being injured with us

Edited by Wrex
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Wrex said:

All this talk of medicals inspired me to do a bit of research:

Brown signings
David Worrall: hernia operation 2013 but otherwise excellent; allegedly whiplash from a car accident (2018–19), only actually missed around 10 games in 2020–21
Tom Pope: metatarsal, groin, knee but always good for 40-50 games a season; hernia (2017–18), hamstring (2018–19), broken arm (2020–21) but still good for 40+ games a season other than this season with his ten game suspension and broken arm
Cristian Montaño: 30 game a season man but doesn't seem to have had big injuries and just seems not to have been selected every week; at Vale hamstring (2017–18), knee (2018–19), hamstring again (2019–20) causing him to miss around 15 games a season

Aspin signings
Scott Brown: excellent history; excellent at Vale
Adam Crookes: no real history due to age; at Vale had "freak training accident" (2019–20) otherwise fine but not often selected anyway
Luke Joyce: excellent history; excellent at Vale
Leon Legge: shoulder (2017–18) but otherwise good; excellent at Vale
Manny Oyeleke: "leg", "long-term", hamstring but not the worst injury record in the world; awful injury record at Vale, calf and numerous hamstring problems
Tom Conlon: cruciate knee ligament injury (serious - nine months out in 2016–17) suspect injury record; at Vale thigh (2018–19),  hamstring (2019–20) but has generally been okay with injuries at Vale Park and played more games than anyone this season
Daniel Trickett-Smith: struggled with injuries in his youth, don't think injuries have much hindered his progress

Askey signings
Theo Robinson: okay he's played over 500 games in his career, I think injuries aren't this guy's problems
Mark Cullen: shin (2011–12), hamstring & groin (2017–18) POOR INJURY HISTORY that was well known; God knows what's happened here, I'm guessing he's been injured most of this season and management seems to have given up on him
Zak Mills: hamstring (2016–17), hamstring (2017–18) - hamstring? hamstring!; hamstring (2020-21) - hamstring? hamstring!
Shaun Brisley: unusual hip injury which required surgery (2010–11); at Vale medial ligament knee injury (2019–20)
Danny Whitehead: can't see any big injury issues; apparently had some niggling injuries here but low on the pecking order regardless
David Amoo: missed ten games (2011–12), ankle (2014–15), various small injuries (2017–18) POOR INJURY HISTORY but signed off the back of a 49 game season; avoided injuries all last season but now we see hamstring and other small injuries (2020–21)
Scott Burgess: only a young lad and no injury issues
Devante Rodney: only a young lad and no injury issues
Harry McKirdy: 5 month lay-off as a youth-team player but otherwise no injury issues
David Fitzpatrick: no injury issues and seems to be fit for 40-50 appearances a season
Alex Hurst: only a young lad and no injury issues
Dino Visser: no injury history; hamstring (2020–21) HOW DOES A GOALKEEPER GET A HAMSTRING INJURY?

Pugh signings
Kurtis Guthrie: ankle (2017–18) but otherwise fine; seems fine here injury wise
Jake Taylor: only a young lad and no injury issues
Mustapha Olagunju: only a young lad and no injury issues
Will Swan: only a young lad and no injury issues

From Youth team
James Gibbons: hip (month 2018–19), knee & hamstring (most of 2020–21 season)
Nathan Smith: excellent
Ryan Campbell-Gordon: only a young lad and no injury issues

Small niggling injuries that cause a player to miss a couple of games at a time probably won't make it into my research. You need to pay a professional to look at stuff like that. But these six players I would imagine flagged up warnings based on performance medicals, according to me (not a doctor!):

RED DANGER! Very likely to break down, be very careful about even signing them:

Oyeleke, Cullen - well hey, and they have been crocked for their entire time with us

Conlon - I'm guessing that's partly why Stevenage released him but he has been fine with us

AMBER WARNING! Likely to break down, keep an eye on them:

Amoo, Montaño, Mills - well they've usually been available but have missed chunks of games at various points whilst with us, to be expected really

I believe we have taken risks with these players, two did not pay off, one has and the other three have been mixed (injury wise). Brown signed one, Aspin signed one and Askey signed three (please bear in mind we may have already released crocks signed by Brown and Aspin, skewing the figures to make Askey look more reckless). I would suggest we probably signed 3-4 more players with suspect injury records than we should have been willing to take chances on. But still, this is only part of the explanation for our injury troubles this season, as suggested by the fact that our back-up goalkeeper is out with a hamstring injury.

edit: actually reading back Oyeleke and Montaño were okay when they first signed for us, but we did offer them new contracts after being injured with us

brilliant assessment-now get on with life!☺️

• Confused 2

I would have asked Flitcroft if Darrell applied for the job or was he approached? 

But I didn’t ask, so it wasn’t answered