Match Thread: Port Vale v Bolton Wanderers

I thought we were utterly ineffectual once again. Next to nothing in terms of actually testing their keeper.  Worrall  got a few balls into the box but the strikers just didn’t want to fight for them. 

I just find it incredible that we struggle for goals all season and the new manager seems to manage to make us less effective. 

We were scoring some goals before he came in

Advert:

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No. In the four years since he left Vale he’s started 30 league games. We’ve got enough crocks already. 

Is that the new name for Theo ?

One thing Clarke has done already is turn Mills and Crookes into full backs. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Feels strange saying this but.... Cambridge and Bolton actually aren't very good are they or both had real off days. Not sure what that makes us . 

Dont go off one game. Look at league positions.

Even playing badly they beat us. Thats why we are bottom. I couldnt care less who good other teams are or are not. We cannot beat them and we are not as good as them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Houston Valiant said:

As Phil Bowers said during the match, something happened in October. The team was playing very well under Askey , and then all of a sudden it’s not? It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work that out. Player revolt is what it was . It’s all coming back to bite them now. I don’t buy the bad recruitment line. All water under the bridge now , but if we go down, and it looks likely , it’s down to a group of players who are lazy , greedy and self- important . Disgraceful. 

I agree with you BUT we need those lazy,greedy,self-important players to save us.

Then we can call them a disgrace and kick them out.

Dont think the two go together.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pete vale said:

Clarke himself does not know the answer to that question

Exactly can only pick from the ones he's inherited no ones come up with a sensible alternative  thats why weve got to get behind them and support em.  

Some of the comments on facebook are disgusting, if i was Carol I would try and sell up and leave em too it, some so called fans get the club they deserve. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Conlon at a push to stay 

Worrall definitely

Rodney Whitehead and Theo under contract !! 

Surely the last 2 are paid up 

4000 of us pay 20 quid each ? 

Definitely to get them out the club. Whitehead just isn’t a footballer but at least tries. Robinson is the one that infuriates me, ambles about the pitch without a care in the world. I can’t imagine DC will have them here next season.

I’d be looking to keep:

Gibbons, smith, crookes (think he has impressed recently and can play two positions so a decent squad player) Worrall, Taylor (3year deal so no choice) Conlon (has impressed at times, I think he’s vastly overrated but probably worth keeping) brown (maybe) 

The rest can go 

Advert:

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Could we give that Bailey a go? He was highly rated by the club. Can’t do any worse 

He's scored a few goals in a very poor Youth Team that has barely won a game this season.

1 minute ago, Mario said:

Exactly can only pick from the ones he's inherited no ones come up with a sensible alternative  thats why weve got to get behind them and support em.  

Some of the comments on facebook are disgusting, if i was Carol I would try and sell up and leave em too it, some so called fans get the club they deserve. 

Having watched and asked questions in Thursdays meeting, i have gone from being hopeful and 'buying-in' to the plans of carol/ Flitcroft and Clarke, witnessing todays performance has told me that not many, if any of the playing staff are on the same page. It leaves me subdued and feeling cheated that we have players who do not share a modicum of passion I hold for the game and in particular Port Vale. The jury is out on Clarke - how bad is that statement by me in itself? It happens, sometimes people just don't fit and rub people up the wrong way, deservedly or not. It is not happening, it does not look like happening. We look worse now than at any time in the 'fat controllers' regime. I feel for Carol, who feels for the many thousands of us apart from her and Kevin? No one.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Warren said:

I don't think we are actually far away from being an upper half of the table side. It is all about the last third and strikers. I think we are very capable of winning at Colchester next weekend and getting at least a point off Newport. 

I'll have a pint of whatever you're drinking

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Feels strange saying this but.... Cambridge and Bolton actually aren't very good are they or both had real off days. Not sure what that makes us . 

Maybe just maybe we made it very hard for both of them, it doesn't necessarily mean we are rubbish, a lot had us down for a hammering today, never happened, Cambridge stuffed 4 past Oldham they didn't do that to us, it's just the strikers that are the problem, stay positive until it's mathematically impossible. 

• Like 6

Advert:

3 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Maybe just maybe we made it very hard for both of them, it doesn't necessarily mean we are rubbish, a lot had us down for a hammering today, never happened, Cambridge stuffed 4 past Oldham they didn't do that to us, it's just the strikers that are the problem, stay positive until it's mathematically impossible. 

I agree, I see a lot of comments that when teams near the top play us they all seem to have an off day.  Perhaps some of that is down to us.

I am trying to stay positive.  For most of the last 5 fixtures I would probably have expected to get very little, even Oldham have a really good away record.  That said we need to pick up points in the next couple of weeks for the sake of my sanity and my underwear.

Posted (edited)

My Mark's 

Brown 6 had nowt do a goal managed go in could he have reacted quicker .

Mills 5 ineffectual going forwards why werent you linking with Worrall .

Legge 6 nothing do 

Smith 5 he should have blocked there goal in my opinion ,offers very little .

Crookes 5 

Worrall 4 for as good as he was Oldham didnt put his stamp on today's game at all .

Conlon  5 much ado about nothing maybe should have scored first half but it got deflected by Bolton player cause there defence wanted a clean sheet ,ask what ours were doing and who's man was that Jones ?yours Conlon by any chance ,either drop him or play him up the pitch where he is half decent no midfield general that's for sure .

Joyce 5 

Rodney 4 didnt do much at all ,ran about shot wide ,didn't ask enough questions of bolton players hardly noticed he was playing ,even more so after they scored he may as well have gone off sit in the empty seats for what use he was .

Swann 5 injured early but we looked a better team with him on once he went off we looked like a team of individuals not a team at all 

Robinson 5 had a few goes at goal but lets face it the quality of our play was horrendous, ran about a bit got the ball on occasions and then we would go all the way back to Brown to kick the ball to Bolton players ,so generally what was the point in him winning the ball up high to win it for us play for a 0-0 draw until they score cause of our docileness. 

Hurst 4 this was not a good performance offered nothing seem to be as negative as the rest of them.

So to sum it up we were playing for a 0-0 which is disgraceful but we couldn't even manage that 

UTV 

Edited by Breadwinner
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Sorry but I think we are miles off being an upper half of the table side.  Regardless of what league we are in, this squad needs completely ripping up and starting again.  I won't be sorry to see any of these go.  of that team that that started today, we have a keeper whose better days are behind him, 2 full back who aren't good enough, the other 2 full back are injury prone, Legge again past it, Smith has had an awful season.  Midfield of Joyce, again this needs to be his last season (past it), Conlon, awful recently but probably keep, Hurst, sorry but I don't see anything in him, Worrall decent enough and then up front whoever we pick none of whom are good enough.

Have to agree with this post. We will end up keeping players that are not really up to it but hopefully, with far better players around them, will perform better than this season.

1 minute ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Have to agree with this post. We will end up keeping players that are not really up to it but hopefully, with far better players around them, will perform better than this season.

The worry is has this season's abomination put paid to attracting better players in the summer if we do stay up 

Going to be a big transition not instant success 

Advert:

26 minutes ago, blackdog said:

Cambridge stuffed 4 past Oldham they didn't do that to us, it's just the strikers that are the problem

We should have stuffed at least 4 past Oldham, like you say because strikers are the problem.

52 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

We could always play with a false No 9 (Perhaps we are anyway!!!).

Seems like we're playing with a false team atm

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

My Mark's 

Brown 6 had nowt do a goal managed go in could he have reacted quicker .

Mills 5 ineffectual going forwards why werent you linking with Worrall .

Legge 6 nothing do 

Smith 5 he should have blocked there goal in my opinion ,offers very little .

Crookes 5 

Worrall 4 for as good as he was Oldham didnt put his stamp on today's game at all .

Conlon  5 much ado about nothing maybe should have scored first half but it got deflected by Bolton player cause there defence wanted a clean sheet ,ask what ours were doing and who's man was that Jones ?yours Conlon by any chance ,either drop him or play him up the pitch where he is half decent no midfield general that's for sure .

Joyce 5 

Rodney 4 didnt do much at all ,ran about shot wide ,didn't ask enough questions of bolton players hardly noticed he was playing ,even more so after they scored he may as well have gone off sit in the empty seats for what use he was .

Swann 5 injured early but we looked a better team with him on once he went off we looked like a team of individuals not a team at all 

Robinson 5 had a few goes at goal but lets face it the quality of our play was horrendous, ran about a bit got the ball on occasions and then we would go all the way back to Brown to kick the ball to Bolton players ,so generally what was the point in him winning the ball up high to win it for us play for a 0-0 draw until they score cause of our docileness. 

Hurst 4 this was not a good performance offered nothing seem to be as negative as the rest of them.

So to sum it up we were playing for a 0-0 which is disgraceful but we couldn't even manage that 

UTV 

Nice one!!So much for the manager requesting us to stop being negative for next 12 games.You continue with your continued quest 🤔I'm fuming but refraining until the 12 games are up and then I'll post .VTID