onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Oldham Athletic

Fosse69

Advert

50 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Can I be controversial here !!

Trying hard and running around is an absolute requisite when you pull on a football shirt , Port Vale, Liverpool or Hackney marshes reserves. 

I'm not getting this leeway that because somebody is trying that it cuts them some slack.

The 100% fact is that Guthrie and Robinson are horrendous players. 

Guthrie might look more interested than Robinson but I'm sorry that won't get us out of this mire.

If Gary Lineker can wear a cast in The 86 World cup then Pope needs to be trundled out as a one armed one legged Pope is more of a goal threat than those pair of carthorses combined. 

Stop making excuses just because one of them tries they are both truly horrific.

The end 

My point about Guthrie is and was that he is the best option up front we have in the current squad. We all know he will not score many goals but he does actually link play up far better than any alternative. Clarke is left with zero options there.

Vale are now seeing why their last few years of inadequate decisions on a goalscoring forward are why we are floundering at the wrong end of the Division. At the very least next season we have to acquire a genuine scoring forward even if its at the cost of replacing other dross in the squad. Goals win matches and gain us points, simple.

26 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

That’s because he is playing better. That kind of happens in football. If you play well you don’t get criticism if you play poor then you do...

Thanks for telling me, I'll bare that in mind !

1 hour ago, onestepatatime said:

My point about Guthrie is and was that he is the best option up front we have in the current squad. We all know he will not score many goals but he does actually link play up far better than any alternative. Clarke is left with zero options there.

Vale are now seeing why their last few years of inadequate decisions on a goalscoring forward are why we are floundering at the wrong end of the Division. At the very least next season we have to acquire a genuine scoring forward even if its at the cost of replacing other dross in the squad. Goals win matches and gain us points, simple.

guthrie couldnt score in the preverbial 😏

I think last night I was a massive positive and made me feel a lot better that we will survive. Yes quality in the final third was lacking but weve known that all season. The manner of the performance was excellent we beat oldham in every single aspect of the game and were unfortunate not to get the goal we deserved. It showed the players are buying in to what clarke is looking for and if we play like that for the remainder of the season we will pick up more results than we dont. Oldham have picked up a lot of good results away from home this season so for me it was a very strong performance. 

yes we need wins but a performance like that was long overdue and if we can replicate it for the remainder of the season there isnt a team we cant pick up points from.

Just now, Vale1995 said:

I think last night I was a massive positive and made me feel a lot better that we will survive. Yes quality in the final third was lacking but weve known that all season. The manner of the performance was excellent we beat oldham in every single aspect of the game and were unfortunate not to get the goal we deserved. It showed the players are buying in to what clarke is looking for and if we play like that for the remainder of the season we will pick up more results than we dont. Oldham have picked up a lot of good results away from home this season so for me it was a very strong performance. 

yes we need wins but a performance like that was long overdue and if we can replicate it for the remainder of the season there isnt a team we cant pick up points from.

Its the first game ive enjoyed watching since the bolton game 

Guthrie has 0 goals. Any option is better than Guthrie. People keep going on about him holding the ball up. That is not a good thing, we lose all tempo. 

I actually think just playing Rodney up top and packing the midfield is better than Guthrie. 
Holding the ball is a good thing. It get us a foothold up the pitch, allows others to get forward and involved and most importantly stops it coming straight back at us. Crazy to say it isnt a good thing. This is what Pope does so well. Hold it, spread it wide and then get in the box.

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Can I be controversial here !!

Trying hard and running around is an absolute requisite when you pull on a football shirt , Port Vale, Liverpool or Hackney marshes reserves. 

I'm not getting this leeway that because somebody is trying that it cuts them some slack.

The 100% fact is that Guthrie and Robinson are horrendous players. 

Guthrie might look more interested than Robinson but I'm sorry that won't get us out of this mire.

If Gary Lineker can wear a cast in The 86 World cup then Pope needs to be trundled out as a one armed one legged Pope is more of a goal threat than those pair of carthorses combined. 

Stop making excuses just because one of them tries they are both truly horrific.

The end 

I'm OK with that, these people are getting paid good money in a profession many fans can only dream of. Needs addressing. get the Pope on.

3 hours ago, Doha said:

If it was just a fracture I think he'd have been back already but unfortunately he ruptured some muscle tissue too in his shoulder. Can't really have him trying to hold off a defender when he'd need a morphine injection before the game.

With Clarke's penchant for secrecy, I'm hoping he's back to light training already and we might see him out of nowhere within the next 3 games.

Add to that the risk of him falling awkwardly and doing himself more permanent damage.

My Mark's on a very good display which should have got 3 points but somehow didnt as Vales luck was certainly not in .

Brown 6 one save but generally a night where not called upon.

Mills 8 thought he was magnificent he linked with Worrall and young Swann superbly at times just such a shame we finished so poorly as the work of the players deserved better .

Crookes 8 man possessed improving all the time under Clarke even passed it well I thought .

Legge 8 won everything 

Smith 8 

Worrall 9 be at ten but I thought he faded second half he was magnificent first half and could have come off that field with 7 or 8 assists .

Joyce 7 kept the ball moving well .

Rodney 5 should have scored a few ,disappointed in him to say the least .replaced at half time .

Swann 7 linked the play well but finishing was not great but got in them positions just needs more power on attempts ,like him though he deserved a couple of goals .

Conlon 7 a shot what hit the post and another one near the end which was on target he kept the ball moving aswell ,he lacks something though .

Guthrie 7 general play good but he cannot finish at all ,the lad just has no luck he gets in the right positions and heads wide and even that volley goes straight at the keeper ,he should have had 4 goals minimum last night make sure if selected in future you do not miss those chances again .

Amoo 6 good see him back missed a sitter but I feel he gave us more than Rodney last night in general play .

I really do not know how we haven't scored and if that's our luck it's going be going down to the wire but I maintain this Port Vale if play all remaining games as well as yesterday with better players back and fitness levels improving can still get in the play offs but in order do that they have to score are we capable of that .

Too many no scoring games for us to not be concerned .

I want them strikers down there hour after hour on the training pitch working on finishing till they get it right even if someone is there as it goes dark with a phone torch until they get it right .

Enjoyed it last night we looked like a real good side now play the same again v Bolton and get the goals you deserved last night v them 

UTV 

3 hours ago, onestepatatime said:

I totally get that mate. For me though and i made this point last week. 

Does Clarke have to eat humble pie and play the dreaded 4-3-3 ?

He himself has said we've almost recruited totally on that formation and had almost 2 years of it under Askey.

Personally i like the fact he is willing to experiment and see what works but cutting his nose off to spite his face won't help.

4-3-3

Mills Smith Legge Crookes

Conlon Joyce Taylor

Worrall Rodney Amoo

Let us limp over the finish line like a lame tortoise and then the real work starts for Clarke.

Rodney doesn't seem at it for a good while, fitness, effects of Covid, who knows ? So maybe Swan instead as the focal point. 

On 09/03/2021 at 12:02, TJHValiant said:

On a side note, Keith Curle looks a great appointment for Oldham. Better than Clarke? I certainly would have been pleased had we got KC. 

Really,hasn't he got 1 promotion on his CV?? 

Relegated with a couple of clubs,sacked by most.... got northampton promoted but then would of got them relegated is my guess but i suppose he is a name so some on here would say he has to be better than what we have got.

24 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Really,hasn't he got 1 promotion on his CV?? 

Relegated with a couple of clubs,sacked by most.... got northampton promoted but then would of got them relegated is my guess but i suppose he is a name so some on here would say he has to be better than what we have got.

He took Northampton up last year

ah I misread you, nevermind

Curle is generally not seen as popular with ex clubs particularly who often call him mysterious Curle due to his constant tinkering.

Plus he is very much hooooooof ball as anyone who saw Northampton would testify last season! Let’s be honest the season finished last season Northampton likely don’t make the top 7, they hit poor form and had most of the top 10 still to play had an awful run in on paper.

Oddly though his Luke Joyce inspired Carlisle looked very pretty on the ball against us in the dead rubber end of season game a few years back.

14 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

Played a good game enjoyed it to not score was a travesty should have by a very big margin .

Worrall was top notch and I enjoyed his link up play with the excellent Mills it should have resulted in many goals .

12 games left play like them in all of them and score stay up easily .

Miss them chances and not gamble to score go down .

Cannot list all chances but anyone who has watched the game will wonder what the hell you have to do to score .

Well played Vale more like a team tonight for long time ,if we send Pope out and Worrall and Mills combine to the quality they have tonight we thrash Bolton and Newport make sure that's the case .

UTV 

21 attempts on goal and how many of those were the result of a Worrall assist--what a difference he makes to the side--no wonder (despite missing a number of matches) he is still the leader for assists in the whole division.  Please stay injury free for the remaining 12 games!

Archived