onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Oldham Athletic

Fosse69

22 minutes ago, osprey said:

He may run his socks off but as a ‘forward’ it would be nice if he scored at least occasionally

17 months since his last goal which came in the 1-1 with Stevenage, and that was a penalty. 

Not a fan of Rodney in the middle and don't envisage 4-3-3 so where do we go with the 2 up top ? 

For me now eat humble pie Clarke 

4-3-3 

Amoo Rodney Worrall 

And then tear up the manuscript and start again if we somehow limp over the line 

Advert

I still did think we lacked that gamesmanship side though which could improve.

Their best player has swung as elbow at Smith, now we didn’t see it but Smudge is down a couple waved their arms about but other way around and their players are around the ref, pushing the player trying to influence. We just don’t do that.

1 hour ago, barny61 said:

Guthrie run his socks off, you must have watched a different game to the one I watched!  

I watched the game and yes Guthrie did work hard but at the end of the day his sole job is to put the ball in the back of the net.This he has failed to do in the last 34 matches he has played that must be a record for anyone to be known as a striker.We have 5 strikers at this club there is only one on the books who come alive in the opposition box who time and time again busts his gut to get in the right place to score. I like rodney but last night he could have had 2 tap ins at the back post if he was alive in the box he looked way off it last night whether he felt ill i dont know he was slow and lethargic all the half he was on. The crosses that wozza was putting over should have been buried in the back of the net.

2 hours ago, barny61 said:

Guthrie run his socks off, you must have watched a different game to the one I watched!  

Not seen a more inept performance from a so called forward. Honestly the standard of his football is a joke and would struggle to get in a Sunday league side. 0 goals in 34 games. He offers f all. 

My take on last nights game-  We got a point, should have easily have been 3. Southend and Colchester lost. Any point gained when fighting near the base of the Division is to be welcomed as every point is precious in the final reckoning.

On Oldham's forum they are bewildered as to how Vale did not score and win the game easily. 

Those that berate Guthrie should honestly look at what is alternative in the current squad. He actually tries, damn hard. He wins balls and positions himself into great scoring positions. True his actual capabilties of finding the net are very limited but at least he causes havoc in opponents defences. We have no one else other than Pope that actual looks like a forward. In my mind he is a must in the team, at present, providing he plays alongside a capable other forward. You only have to watch Robinson to realise that he is simply here to pick up his wages. He offers diddley squatt to us.

Rodney was clearly unfit and no surprise he was taken off. Other than his customary couple of bursts he was out of the game.

Worrall was superb. He seems to have added a lot to his crosses. He now lifts them, or at least most of them, over the first defender and anyone capable of heading a ball would have dreamt about scoring last night.

The defence had very little to deal with but looked solid again, including the maligned Mills, who gave good support to Worrall.

The mystery still exists as to why Conlon is so deep? Maybe to protect an ever slowing Joyce? A waste unless he's pushed further forward, especially against such poor opposition.

Hurst and Swan  are youngsters learning their trade and maybe would look better after a few regular games.

Frustrated, again during and after the game as they were there for the taking. However on the "bright" side we are definitely looking more solid. Clarke though can only use the squad he inherited and after shuffling everyone around he has now concluded that to score goals is going to be difficult, so he's trying to gain a point here and there, which hopefully will keep us in the League. I for one am confident of that as there are others far, far worse than us. VTID.

11 hours ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Were we any better after Guthrie replaced by Robinson. NO

Guthrie is the best option we have until Pope is fit 

Guthrie has 0 goals. Any option is better than Guthrie. People keep going on about him holding the ball up. That is not a good thing, we lose all tempo. 

I actually think just playing Rodney up top and packing the midfield is better than Guthrie. 

29 minutes ago, hamilboy said:

I watched the game and yes Guthrie did work hard but at the end of the day his sole job is to put the ball in the back of the net.This he has failed to do in the last 34 matches he has played that must be a record for anyone to be known as a striker.We have 5 strikers at this club there is only one on the books who come alive in the opposition box who time and time again busts his gut to get in the right place to score. I like rodney but last night he could have had 2 tap ins at the back post if he was alive in the box he looked way off it last night whether he felt ill i dont know he was slow and lethargic all the half he was on. The crosses that wozza was putting over should have been buried in the back of the net.

Yeah totally agree that Rodney could have had a couple of tap ins if he had just had a bit goal poacher instinct in him and I watched him a couple of times after he had made a run and he seemed exhausted ! In particular at the end of the first half where he squatted down in the penalty area.

As for Guthrie my comment was in reply to Houston valiant  that he was useless, I dont think for one minute he will score a bag full of goals but I do think he is putting the effort in and cant fault him for that.

10 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Guthrie has 0 goals. Any option is better than Guthrie. People keep going on about him holding the ball up. That is not a good thing, we lose all tempo. 

I actually think just playing Rodney up top and packing the midfield is better than Guthrie. 

Just like Piers Morgan we are entitled to our own opinion ! 😂😂

It was actually comical how many chances Worrall created last night. Best player on the pitch, their LB had an absolute nightmare. Comical because he did more in the first 30 mins that Vale had done in the last 10 games put together, it was night and day.

The chance creation was there.

The positioning and anticipation of the forwards was frequently dreadful. 

When they were in the right position the finishing was dreadful.

Worrall flashed one across goal. Open goal at the back post, no defenders for miles. Rodney's in the centre of the box slowly meandering forwards. No instinct of where to be. Poor. A Lee Hughes or a Tom Pope would have been stalking that back post kill zone like a Lion fcking up an injured Gazelle.

Ball comes through to swan on the left side of the box towards the end. Has a bit of space and time. He just needs to hit it towards the general area of the far post and it's very likely going in because of the angle and the keepers positioning. Panics and spoons it wide.

So many balls floated in where they bottled it and headed it back across goal to no one and it was easily cleared. There's some kind of psychological block with a few of them we're they're scared of taking the shot in case they miss so they constantly pass the buck. I'll let you in on a trade secret morons, if the keeper manages to actually get in the way when you've rocketed it at him from 10 yards out, chances are it's going to bounce off and land into the lap of another white shirt for a tap in. JUST HIT IT.

Guthrie's heading was dreadful. 

Guthrie did well to take a shot on early second half that if he was leaning forward/backward a bit more would have gone in.

Conlon hit the post and was somewhat unfortunate with his strike in the second half from the edge of the box, another one where it, by chance, was straight at the keeper.

Amoo somehow blazed over from around the six yard box. Ridiculous.

Can I be controversial here !!

Trying hard and running around is an absolute requisite when you pull on a football shirt , Port Vale, Liverpool or Hackney marshes reserves. 

I'm not getting this leeway that because somebody is trying that it cuts them some slack.

The 100% fact is that Guthrie and Robinson are horrendous players. 

Guthrie might look more interested than Robinson but I'm sorry that won't get us out of this mire.

If Gary Lineker can wear a cast in The 86 World cup then Pope needs to be trundled out as a one armed one legged Pope is more of a goal threat than those pair of carthorses combined. 

Stop making excuses just because one of them tries they are both truly horrific.

The end 

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

Can I be controversial here !!

Trying hard and running around is an absolute requisite when you pull on a football shirt , Port Vale, Liverpool or Hackney marshes reserves. 

I'm not getting this leeway that because somebody is trying that it cuts them some slack.

The 100% fact is that Guthrie and Robinson are horrendous players. 

Guthrie might look more interested than Robinson but I'm sorry that won't get us out of this mire.

If Gary Lineker can wear a cast in The 86 World cup then Pope needs to be trundled out as a one armed one legged Pope is more of a goal threat than those pair of carthorses combined. 

Stop making excuses just because one of them tries they are both truly horrific.

The end 

If it was just a fracture I think he'd have been back already but unfortunately he ruptured some muscle tissue too in his shoulder. Can't really have him trying to hold off a defender when he'd need a morphine injection before the game.

With Clarke's penchant for secrecy, I'm hoping he's back to light training already and we might see him out of nowhere within the next 3 games.

4 minutes ago, Valepopey11 said:

I personally think Guthrie had a good game and like previously mentioned, run his socks off, don’t think rushing pope back into the equation is going to answer our problems. Guthrie looks a goal threat when he plays he just needs a bit of luck and that will come with a few more games.

‘Looked a goal threat’ come off it. Not scored in 34. Few more games???? How many more? Is that 10 or 11 games for us now and yet to score, how many more games for him to get this luck? Another 30? Don’t care if he ran his socks off I could do that. He was awful 

Not having a go here but why are some people convinced Popey is suddenly going to start scoring goals and providing assists if he returns?3 league goals this season (1 goal since October 31)(Zac Mills has scored 2)and 6(including pens) last season along with 3 assists over the 2 seasons. He has stated he won’t be properly ready even when his arm has healed.Thank the Lord for Devante Rodney,the man who saved us.

So disappointing to have created all those chances (21 attempts in total) and not to have scored from any of these!  However, on a brighter note, we kept a clean sheet, gained one extra point and the results around us were in our favour.  Not sure why Barrow weren't playing last night, but they now could be a threat as they now have 3 games in hand on us, are only 6 points behind and with an equal goal difference.  Despite Grimsby's point last night they appear to be all but down. Southend has played the same number of games as us and Colchester although a point better off have a much worse goal difference at -15.  At least a few reasons to keep the faith!

Archived