onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Oldham Athletic

Fosse69

Where the hell is Cullen?
Oyeleke looked uncharacteristically poor but he hasn't played in a long time.
Worrall MOTM without question. Amoo a bit awkward but involved. Those two must be involved in every game until the end now. Need Pope back ASAP and Cullen too as an alternative to Sherger and Seabiscuit stumbling around up top. 
I agree with Wozza as man of the match.
I cant believe I'm saying this but Crookes was a close second for me

Advert

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

So frustrating.

Would have thought a few Vale players would have gambled at the back or front post or elsewhere at times.

My mind goes back to the a55hole Sunderland player for the cowardly foul on Tom Pope in the nothing game at Mackemville......absolute barsteward

Got to think like a footballer / goalscorer to gamble at the back post for a tap in.

Rodney had three opportunities to do this. Never once did he even think about it for me.

Thats why i say he may score a great goal every so often but he has to learn to become a footballer.

If he hasnt by now , at 22 , then he may never have it in him

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

If we had put in a performance like Oldham tonight and got a point everyone on here would have been saying how lucky we were. Oldham were very lucky tonight. 

Oldham were lucky. Oldham fans may also be saying what a poor team the vale are and would never score if still playing now

As far as Bolton goes, we may get better chances against a team who tries to attack us. Oldham played for a draw from the first minute, and we've always had problems recently breaking down teams like that.

Any team is beatable in this league.

Thought it was an encouraging performance tonight, certainly our best performance under the new manager but even after that, I am still more worried than before the game, maybe i always fear the worst but for me that was one of our easiest games left.  2 really tough games now against Bolton and Newport who seemed to have picked up again.  Barrow, Southend and Grimsby all playing teams in the bottom 8 this weekend, can't help but think one or two of them are likely to get a result.  

As already being mentioned on here, if Pope had been on the pitch tonight, we would certianly have won that match, so many crosses into the particular from Worrall in the first and never looked like scoring from them.  Guthrie whilst working hard just does not look like scoring a goal and would sooner see Cullen come on than Robinson, every time he got the ball, I feared that he was going to lose it and Oldham were going to break on us and score an undeserved winner.

3 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Got to think like a footballer / goalscorer to gamble at the back post for a tap in.

Rodney had three opportunities to do this. Never once did he even think about it for me.

On one occasion in the first half he was at the far post after Guthrie nodded it on and had his shirt yanked back but no pen of course!

59 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Anyone considered us making Oldham look tripe by defending well, controlling the middle, and creating a boatload of chances which John Rudge at his ripe old age would have stuck away with ease?

No, silly me. The opposition team exist in a vacuum. Carry on. 

They played one man up front 30 yards from anyone else.

We worked hard to stop them building play from the back i have to say.

Perhaps they had no plan b tonight.

41 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

You are almost contradicting yourself mate. 

You'd still play him despite his headers having no power and his shots not hit clearly ? 

I'm sorry dress it up however anybody wants to, working hard is a given, after all his deal is up soon .

He is absolutely tripe. The pathetic weak headers in the first half summed him up. Pope would of been close to carrying home the match ball given those chances. 

34 without a goal is an absolute embarrassing stat and Bradford actually paid money for him . 

Were we any better after he went off and Robinson came on.

Did Robinson work hard outside the box and set ant play up

Does Cullen do any of that, when he is fit that is.

Rodney Amoo Swan anyone else to try

Until Pope is fit and ready we have no one

4 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Thats why i say he may score a great goal every so often but he has to learn to become a footballer.

If he hasnt by now , at 22 , then he may never have it in him

Yep, the likes of Robinson and Guthrie are more athletes than footballers, Thought that about Robinson when he was here under Neil Paige. 

As the game turned out tonight someone like Cullen may have sniffed something out but he wasn't even on the bench I believe.

Rodney should be talking and learning from the likes of Cullen, Popey and anyone else who can coach/help him to score "ugly goals"/tap ins but it's instinct a player is usually born with.

Just my opinion but I hoped Taylor would get on, he's got a shot on him from outside the box and ghosts into the box unmarked. 

Archived