onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Oldham Athletic

Fosse69

Advert

1 minute ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

Conlon is not playing his favourite game,going forward. He's obviously filling a defensive hole that has been poor for months.He sprayed the ball about well and contributed well off the ball.He also had a couple of shots ,one hitting the post.

I get that mate I just think with Joyce in the side why is he being held back. 

For me he's just tippy tapping it sideways and his corners and set pieces have been terrible recently. 

I thought we played well tonight. Their defence and keeper played well and we didn't score because of that rather than because of badly missed chances. Something needs to be done to get a goal scorer at the back post on crosses. I don't think Oldham are a bad side and in fact both teams played the ball round well on a bobbly pitch. Oldham decided to play deep and they left their striker isolated. His early booking meant he could not chance being sent off by being more physical and this also limited his effectiveness. Vale compressed Oldham well in good shape. There was a lot of evidence of coaching achieving improvement on the pitch. So can we do it in the next two games? Come on lads!

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

For me he's just tippy tapping it sideways and his corners and set pieces have been terrible recently. 

Exactly, can't believe how the manager sees his game, when Conlon has been so good going forward. 

Cant believe people aren’t seeing that Conlon is clearly being ask to sit back more. He rarely gave the ball away during the game and had a couple of decent efforts on goal. He’s just playing a different role to that which he did earlier in the season. 
I think that is the problem with Conlon. He is not quite good enough to play in the advanced role and carry the team. Where the rest of the team make sacrifices to cover him like Villa do with Jack Grealish, as we tried under Askey, but he struggles to impact the game when he is asked to play a bit deeper and do a proper midfielder role.

Lots of midfielders can shine when they don't have to get back and do the dirty work but when he has played without that responsibility he hasn't got enough goals or assists and he hasn't grabbed enough games by the scruff of the neck to carry us over the line.

42 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I thought we were really good, and I am very pessimistic. Felt a bit like the Notts County game under Askey where we looked much improved, and then started winning.

Play like that and we'll be sound. Worrall transformative. 

Thought exactly the same, re notts county.

I came away from there thinking that was was our first decent performance in so long but frustrated we couldn't score.

Maybe saturday is our Mansfield moment? I'd love it to be so.

10 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Think you’re being overly harsh on him. Clarke obviously wants both him to be in a deeper role and he kept the ball moving, it isn’t always about playing fancy passes and defence splitting balls, it’s also about moving the opposition around and keeping possession if possible. A midfielder who can get on the ball and dictate play like him is worth a lot to a team, but unfortunately when players do that from deep they go unnoticed by some fans. He could go for some money if he keeps being as steady as he has been this season. He was unlucky not to score tonight too.

Archived