onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Oldham Athletic

Fosse69

Advert

Interesting to hear Clarke said he lost his head on Saturday in the dressing room. Another good interview from him. If only we played in the pitch how he talks.

A must win game tomorrow and I think we WILL FINALLY WIN and the start of the climb away from the bottom two.

33 minutes ago, MBE said:

Interesting to hear Clarke said he lost his head on Saturday in the dressing room. Another good interview from him. If only we played in the pitch how he talks.

A must win game tomorrow and I think we WILL FINALLY WIN and the start of the climb away from the bottom two.

Interesting quote that Burgess was left out of the 18 purely on choice by Clarke. I get the horses for courses approach with subs and we are laden with like for like midfield players so i can actually see why Clarke did it. 

Probably not a popular opinion, but the questions asked during the press conference are absolutely dire. It’s like they’re scared to ask something that the fans want to know for fear of having their head bitten off. They had to build up to tentatively asking whether we’ll have any bloody players back for tomorrow 

6 hours ago, robf said:

Not at all. More along the lines of - "You're the players who put this club in play-off contention earlier this season. You're better than this. I realise your morale is low but I want you to think about that time earlier in the season and go out and play with no fear. I don't want you to worry about an ambitious pass going wrong or a long-range effort going wide. I want you to give 100%, to be confident in your ability and go and show the doubters that they are wrong."

It may or may not be true. They may still be rubbish but what's the point of knocking players when they are down? Where's that got us? Why not try to make poor players a bit better?

The window is shut, we can't replace them so we may as well give them some confidence and self-belief and hope it helps them pick up some form.  It's kidology. It doesn't mean they are necessarily good players but if telling them they are helps their self-belief then what's the harm?

Or we could just continue to slate them and accept relegation as their form and confidence gets even worse.

I completely agree with this. Clarke is being far too negative with the staff. We all agree that the squad is not good enough but are they this poor? His approach is similar to that taken when Clough went into Leeds. I thought his after match interview was awful. This team needs confidence and he is draining it from them. Even better players like Conlon and Rodney are looking poor. I have witnessed his approach to training. He basically shouted do it my way or f off. This approach to is diametrically opposed to that of Carol whose approach is to  basically put her arm around people. I can't believe she is happy with his approach. I don't think it helps that many of the players know they won't be here next season. She will regret giving him a three and a half year contract. Personally I think he will be gone by Xmas. Carol has given the responsibility to Flitcroft and she will live to regret that decision. I am in the sixth decade of supporting the Vale but I have never been this concerned about the direction we are heading in. I fear relegation is  becoming a reality.     

9 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

I completely agree with this. Clarke is being far too negative with the staff. We all agree that the squad is not good enough but are they this poor? His approach is similar to that taken when Clough went into Leeds. I thought his after match interview was awful. This team needs confidence and he is draining it from them. Even better players like Conlon and Rodney are looking poor. I have witnessed his approach to training. He basically shouted do it my way or f off. This approach to is diametrically opposed to that of Carol whose approach is to  basically put her arm around people. I can't believe she is happy with his approach. I don't think it helps that many of the players know they won't be here next season. She will regret giving him a three and a half year contract. Personally I think he will be gone by Xmas. Carol has given the responsibility to Flitcroft and she will live to regret that decision. I am in the sixth decade of supporting the Vale but I have never been this concerned about the direction we are heading in. I fear relegation is  becoming a reality.     

It's this approach that worries me..........

28 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

We have had our bad run it will end soon .

Why are we so negative .

We score goals and played 3 of the top 4 last three games losing to a wonder strike where if Guthrie scores his chance who's to say the confidence from scoring if indeed he did we wouldnt have gone on to win that particular game v Salford there net should have being bursting not ours ask Rodney what the hell he was doing ,there goal sloppy then sat Goalkeeping error and played crap for 77 mins but last 20 including injury time scored 2 and nearly equalised. 

Think positive Swann nets in first ten minutes confidence rises in all the team  and we go on and win then Bolton who we have already demolished ,so demolish them again and Newport a team who only beat us cause we couldn't defend a last minute set piece after holding them out for 89 mins and with ten men also .

Bring them wins shut the stripey eyed <edit>up 

UTV 

Clarke inherits a side with 3 wins in 18 and 6 first-teamers out injured, playing two teams placed 1st in his first 5, and another team who are unbeaten in 8. His fit strikers are limited to Guthrie, Robinson, Cullen, Rodney, and Swann. His only good fullbacks go down injured and his only fit wideman is a lad who played Dog and Duck last season.

'Yep, it's the criticism what done that!'

I find Clarke very abrasive but I honestly don't care. I haven't warmed to him, but I'm also not making sweeping judgements in the manner of Grumpy Old Man. I don't need to like him (I really didn't like Micky Adams), but if he wins games I'll be naming my firstborn Big Bobby Dazzler Clarke. 

If we go down, it'll be because of abysmal recruitment + the dithering over sacking and replacing Askey. Not Clarke telling underperforming players that they're underperforming.

I like Carol's approach but her 'arms around the shoulder' mantra led to the late Askey shambles. Firm leadership is needed, whether these fraudulent footballers like it or not. These players were underperforming and letting this club down with John Askey and his gentle ways, with lovely Carol looking after them, nice secure contract extensions etc. 

I don't disagree with Rob's point that Clarke's choice of words is sometimes ill-advised and comes across poorly (I wince at least once per press conference), but if the players are that fragile that a few mean words can lead to us going down, then that's on the players. 

A win will boost confidence far more than delusional nice words; Worrall, Amoo, and Pope back will increase the chances of that, as will an easier run of games. I think the football under Clarke has been a disappointment thus far (very direct and often without much direction), but I'm also nowhere near making my decision on his prospects as I heard him swear on the Bycars training pitches.

Brown got plaudits on here for saying recruitment had been rubbish.  Clarke gets pelters when he says the same.  Folk on here have spent the last three months saying performances have been awful and everyone agrees.  When Clarke says it he's wrong.  I know he's an abrasive character but let's cut him some slack.

Archived