onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Scott Brown pulls no punches on recruitment.

blackdog

Advert

Not sure on the timing, but he's bang on. For some reason Askey preferred to release 10 poor squad players and then sign another 10 poor squad players instead of signing 5 players that would come in and instantly make the first team better. You just have to look at this season where we ended up with Theo frigging Robinson as the marquee striker signing, when everyone was expecting and even Tideswell hinted that Maynard would be signing in the morning. It was madness. I can still see us letting nearly 15 players go in the summer. This time with Flickers and Clarke I finally think they'll be replaced with quality and not quantity though.

That's a really honest appraisal from Scott Brown. It shouldn't be up to any of the playing squad to criticise recruitment, but, clearly he is frustrated enough to vent.

I don't think it will have much effect on the rest of the players - if they can't play to their best, for their personal pride and...possibly...to make sure they have future employment in this game, then they don't deserve to have a future in football! Can't wait for a summer clear out - a dozen out, five or six in, but with the same overall outlay on wages ought to see a bit of an improvement? Before it becomes our mantra, again - quality not quantity!

1 hour ago, LancyTony said:

Should recruitment policy be up to the Goalkeeper?

Was just lampooning some of the comments on here, which said that any fans who were retrospectively pointing out that recruitment has been utterly turgid for 2-3 years 'weren't saying anything at the time' and were speaking 'with hindsight'.

It is to be hoped brown shows the way forward to his teamates. You never know he may take a deep breath and actually leave his line and come for bloody corners. 9 times out of ten he stands there frozen to his line. He's a bloody big unit, must be 6 feet 3.

35 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

His comments aren’t anything that we don’t know, but I suppose it’s unusual for a player to comment on transfers. The question I have to ask is, why was JA allowed to sign such poor players.?

I would argue it was because Aspin was little better and standards had slipped since the foreign legion of Bruno. 

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Was just lampooning some of the comments on here, which said that any fans who were retrospectively pointing out that recruitment has been utterly turgid for 2-3 years 'weren't saying anything at the time' and were speaking 'with hindsight'.

Got you!

30 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

I would argue it was because Aspin was little better and standards had slipped since the foreign legion of Bruno. 

TJH, quite possibly but Brown talks common sense regarding strengthening at the end of each season. I assume he’s not mentioned the January transfer window as no one wants to buy poor players and they’re under contract until the end of the season, so won’t leave. Managers have said,

‘Quality over quantity‘, but it’s proven that this hasn’t happened and records show quite the opposite. I understand that some players, don’t want to come to us and others make astronomical wage demands and we cannot be held to ransom and quite rightly so. Hopefully with a DOF and a new manager, let’s hope that’s all in the past 

I and others have been saying on here for years; "why spend ie. 4000 a week for 3 poor strikers, instead of 1 really good one?" and have been shot down every single time! 

"We have a wage structure and It's good that we stick to it" has been the answer every single time! I even suggested last summer, that maybe it was time to take a look at said wage structure, if we wanted to attract better players. But got shot down once again.

Now with the new structure coming up and there being no wage cap, I truely hope we say goodbye to the wage structure, and really DO start adding quality over quantity! It is needed like never before!

2 hours ago, valefan16 said:

Interesting comments and could go one of two ways. He is essentially calling out some of his own team mates which won’t go down well with some... on the flip side it might wake some of them up.

My thoughts exactly.  Browns comments SHOULD wake up the players and perhaps make them realise that they are in a privileged position and  that they should play for pride and show us what they're made off.  I say SHOULD 'cuz I really don't think that'll happen.  More likely to get their backs up and carry on regardless! 😟

Archived