Wonderful Nurses Pay Rise

ELDERBEZZA

Another issue regarding some public sector pay rises is that even if some of the public sector is offered: 1% or 2% or even 10% - the government wouldn’t give any extra funding to cover the rise. So, it will lead to ‘potential’ redundancies. 

Advert:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suggestions for savings.

2.6 million for Allegra’s palace.

200k for Carries replacement knicker drawers.

3 million Tory backers gained from PPE etc

Serco T and T fiasco cost 37 million into Soames packet.

Pritel pay off to CivilServant 340k

Cost of paying off of Cummings & other advisors caught up in Carrie wars

above is a non exhaustive list, if we throw in 350M we were promised on EU exit,a increased pay offer to NHS is achievable 

11 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

Suggestions for savings.

2.6 million for Allegra’s palace.

200k for Carries replacement knicker drawers.

3 million Tory backers gained from PPE etc

Serco T and T fiasco cost 37 million into Soames packet.

Pritel pay off to CivilServant 340k

Cost of paying off of Cummings & other advisors caught up in Carrie wars

above is a non exhaustive list, if we throw in 350M we were promised on EU exit,a increased pay offer to NHS is achievable 

Imo it’s not fair just for the NHS to receive that increase though. It should be for all front line workers. 

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I get it and don’t disagree with what you are saying.

But equally, and factually this government has wasted vast amounts of  cash that could have been used to boost the NHS.

Im not even going into the £350m a week bus lie around Brexit. 

Yes other services have only been paid 80% but they havent been on the front line dealing with the virus face to face.

And factually they used the NHS as a PR weapon during the pandemic... the “NHS test and trace” is the best example to deflect from its failure by attaching NHS to the front so people wouldn’t criticise even though it was privatised to serco. That was the point of my original post. 

Oh ...My definition of screwed over is a real terms paycut after years of underpayment.

I also don’t buy your £1 spend on nurses means £1 less available for healthcare argument... I have done some healthcare consulting work and this assumption completely underplays the importance of a motivated, refreshed  nursing stats which has a huge impact on patient health out ones... it also misses the point that better paid nurses attracts more people to the role and therefore through demand and supply increases quality.

Don't disagree with the "motivated nurses" argument, but do have to disagree that every £1 spent on salaries doesn't reduce the funds available for all treatments because clearly it must.

Nurses haven't had a paycut in real terms.  Over the last two years, they have had real terms increases. That's not to say they don't deserve more, but eventually in any organisation/business it comes down to available funds. 

I'm not going back to the Brexit--£350 m per week argument--that's history now much as I wish we hadn't left the EU!

Advert:

5 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

Nurses haven't had a paycut in real terms.  

Everyone has had a paycut in real terms with the tax and pension threshold freezes. Inflation isn't paused. 

6 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

Don't disagree with the "motivated nurses" argument, but do have to disagree that every £1 spent on salaries doesn't reduce the funds available for all treatments because clearly it must.

Nurses haven't had a paycut in real terms.  Over the last two years, they have had real terms increases. That's not to say they don't deserve more, but eventually in any organisation/business it comes down to available funds. 

I'm not going back to the Brexit--£350 m per week argument--that's history now much as I wish we hadn't left the EU!

Yeah sorry I may not have written what I meant very well... of course the extra £1 to a nurse reduces other funds by a £1 and that could be used for extra treatment etc... my point is that if the idea is to improve general patient health outcomes then creating a good motivated nurse force will also do that.

Which approach (more services or motivated nurses) gives you most bang for your buck we will never know... but adding extra services needs more nursing time further damaging the effort vs worth vs pay relationship.

4 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

The only way of catching up is by spending more money, losing trained and experienced nurses/doctors will make the job more difficult. To promise a 2.5% rise and then take it away is not acceptable.  Economically it is better to have a fit and healthy nation, to be more productive and avoid sickness. It is purely political on how resources are used.  We are a wealthy country, use it.

Not sure they were ever promised 2.5%, besides which it's an independent review body that recommends the increase figure.

45 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Yeah sorry I may not have written what I meant very well... of course the extra £1 to a nurse reduces other funds by a £1 and that could be used for extra treatment etc... my point is that if the idea is to improve general patient health outcomes then creating a good motivated nurse force will also do that.

Which approach (more services or motivated nurses) gives you most bang for your buck we will never know... but adding extra services needs more nursing time further damaging the effort vs worth vs pay relationship.

I can't disagree with that, but at the end of the day, there is only so much money to go round and that always has to be balanced.

Advert:

6 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

Tax thresholds are not frozen until tax year 2021/22!

And? It's going to happen. Everyone has had a pay cut set in motion, there's no getting out of it. 

51 minutes ago, Doha said:

And? It's going to happen. Everyone has had a pay cut set in motion, there's no getting out of it. 

Yes, it has been "set in motion" but that's not what you stated in your previous post, I was just setting the record straight. 

1 minute ago, Bycarsbill said:

Yes, it has been "set in motion" but that's not what you stated in your previous post, I was just setting the record straight. 

Really? That pedantic? 

The next tax year is in about 24 days. We've all had a pay cut, end of. Jesus Christ. 

Advert:

Just now, Doha said:

Really? That pedantic? 

The next tax year is in about 24 days. We've all had a pay cut, end of. Jesus Christ. 

Your tax threshold goes UP in 24 days time, so we'll all effectively get a pay 'raise' simples! 

3 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

Your tax threshold goes UP in 24 days time, so we'll all effectively get a pay 'raise' simples! 

The tfa is going up £70 :laugh: £5.80 odd a month, hardly a rise. Then frozen for 5 years.

Inflation marches on. Million extra people become new tax payers. Frozen bands means a compounding, year on year pay cut. End of story. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56270941

Archived