onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wonderful Nurses Pay Rise

ELDERBEZZA

33 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

Its a difficult one in that everyone would agree the Nurses have done a great job and deserve better. However if you are some one who has lost their job due to Covid and are struggling to find a new one, you may find the job security, availability of  overtime  , and 1% increase attractive.

There’s plenty of jobs going in the NHS and as student nurses

Advert

Available overtime???

As previously mentioned my daughter has been doing fourteen hour shifts. She regularly has to stay up to two hours beyond that because she has to hand over the ward to the next person in charge. This means going through each patient's condition, as well as paper work that has to be completed. Anything beyond her alloted hours is unpaid. She regularly works an extra ten or so hours of unpaid work per week. Also if someone calls in sick she has to stay on to cover for them until a replacement can be found, all unpaid! It's not a job you can just walk away from when the bell goes! She cares deeply about her work and the NHS, but you can only take so much of being under valued. The job was hard enough before the pandemic but for all the weasel words of praise from this disgusting Prlme Minister, a 1% rise is an insult. They are taking advantage of the front line health workers, who are putting their lives at risk every working day.

I am not downplaying the tragedy of losing your job, or having your income cut. I have been made redundant in the past from a management position, after twenty years in what I thought was a safe job, so I know how hard it can be, or the value of other public sector workers Police,Teachers etc. Do not devalue these people or you are storing up up a major crises in the future. The government has the power and the money to give public sector workers a decent wage. They choose not to!

I'm quite sure that these comments won't be popular with a lot of folk on here, but nevertheless, I shall try to put a slightly less emotive point of view: of course the nurses deserve a pay rise, and so too do every front-line worker who have kept the country ticking over in the most difficult circumstances any of us has experienced in our lifetimes. What  about doctors, hospital porters, hospital cleaners transport workers, shopworkers, care home staff, home care workers, refuge collectors, police, fire service personnel, teachers, delivery drivers etc, etc., the list could go on.  The vast majority of these workers will get little or no salary increases in the near future, but nurses are at least being given something, small as it is.

Continuing this hopefully objective argument, nurses, along with their NHS colleagues also have the benefit of rock-solid pension provision that many of the listed workers above (especially those in the private sector) don't get!  Also, newly qualified nurses have already received a 12% increase in salary, taking nurses' average salary to £34000 pa.

Finishing where I started, of course it's 'unfair' that nurses haven't been offered a bigger increase, but any increase is almost certainly more 'fair' than most will receive and definitely more fair than the millions of people who have struggled through the pandemic on furlough or been made redundant through no fault of their own.

4 hours ago, capirex said:

My daughter is a senior ward sister on a critical care ward and has been in nursing for over thirty years. She has been working fourteen hour shifts for nearly twelve months coping with inadequate PPE, staff shortages etc. She is completely exhausted physically and emotionally but gets on with it! She has too try and supervise the student nurses that have been drafted in too cover for the shortfall in staff, as well as doing her job, which at her level is highly skilled and technical. She has had enough and has decided too leave nursing when things are back to something like normal. She is not alone, many of her senior colleagues who have the same qualifications and experience have also had enough. Their is going to be a massive shortage of senior staff in nursing and no one there to train the newly qualified nurses! It takes a three year university course to qualify and you only really start too learn the job once you start on a ward. A 1% pay rise is an insult and exactly what my daughter forecasted months ago. All this will do is encourage more staff too leave the profession and less young people to apply to become nurses. As regards not being able to afford a decent pay rise, it's amazing how the government managed find a billion pounds for the DUP when they needed them to stay in power! They can always find find the cash for important things!

For several weeks she had to stay in hotel near the hospital to isolate from her husband and three children and at the end of this month it will be exactly a year since I actually saw her!

Thank her on our behalf please.Most of us clapped and were saying how they deserved a decent pay rise. How fickle many have become now,lets hope they don't have to call on their wonderful services!!Johnson's had his publicity stunt when he was supposedly ill.

13 minutes ago, capirex said:

Available overtime???

As previously mentioned my daughter has been doing fourteen hour shifts. She regularly has to stay up to two hours beyond that because she has to hand over the ward to the next person in charge. This means going through each patient's condition, as well as paper work that has to be completed. Anything beyond her alloted hours is unpaid. She regularly works an extra ten or so hours of unpaid work per week. Also if someone calls in sick she has to stay on to cover for them until a replacement can be found, all unpaid! It's not a job you can just walk away from when the bell goes! She cares deeply about her work and the NHS, but you can only take so much of being under valued. The job was hard enough before the pandemic but for all the weasel words of praise from this disgusting Prlme Minister, a 1% rise is an insult. They are taking advantage of the front line health workers, who are putting their lives at risk every working day.

I am not downplaying the tragedy of losing your job, or having your income cut. I have been made redundant in the past from a management position, after twenty years in what I thought was a safe job, so I know how hard it can be, or the value of other public sector workers Police,Teachers etc. Do not devalue these people or you are storing up up a major crises in the future. The government has the power and the money to give public sector workers a decent wage. They choose not to!

My wife also worked in the NHS , just retired after 40 years so I do value their work . They saved my life when I had a near fatal illness so I am a big fan. I suppose the point I was trying to make is the country is in a financial mess £2.2 trillion debt. I remember hearing that when we were at £1.8 Trillion that equated to £30k of debt for every man woman and child in the country. The reality is that  2 adult ,2 child family has £120k of extra debt on top of any other household debt and yes I know its Government debt but guess who pays for it in taxes.

So when we have this much debt as a country should anyone be getting any rises. If you are being honest no.  Just say your household got its £120k share of the National debt dumped on it surely it would be belt tightening for a very long time if the plan was to get out of debt.

Industries that are in financial trouble do not give pay rises, they cannot afford to  or if they do surely go bust. Redundancies in Industry  will be the order of the day.  Should a man be giving you money when he is massively in debt ?

1 hour ago, JohnJames said:

There’s plenty of jobs going in the NHS and as student nurses

You are right JJ and as redundancy rates start to rise In the Private sector I am sure more people will consider a job in the NHS.  As a result of the unemployment storm that is gathering , not sure how many vacancies there will be for anyone wanting to head in the other direction.

3 hours ago, ginge said:

What about the extra money the nhs was supposed to get from brexit? Can't that go to a pay rise? 

I'm sure the MPs haven't had any pay rises recently?...  

I think any money promised would have been in 2016, I’m sure like myself no one really believed that figure, but in 2016 there weren’t any cases of Covid and even when there were, who’d have thought it would have had such a devastating effect on the world. We’ve borrowed more money for this than we did for two world wars. We finally paid off the debt of the Second World War in 2005. This will need to be recouped, so I’d be surprised if we’ll see any money spent on the NHS or other public sector jobs for sometime.

16 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I think any money promised would have been in 2016, I’m sure like myself no one really believed that figure, but in 2016 there weren’t any cases of Covid and even when there were, who’d have thought it would have had such a devastating effect on the world. We’ve borrowed more money for this than we did for two world wars. We finally paid off the debt of the Second World War in 2005. This will need to be recouped, so I’d be surprised if we’ll see any money spent on the NHS or other public sector jobs for sometime.

Can give Cummings a 40k pay rise though 

56 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

I'm quite sure that these comments won't be popular with a lot of folk on here, but nevertheless, I shall try to put a slightly less emotive point of view: of course the nurses deserve a pay rise, and so too do every front-line worker who have kept the country ticking over in the most difficult circumstances any of us has experienced in our lifetimes. What  about doctors, hospital porters, hospital cleaners transport workers, shopworkers, care home staff, home care workers, refuge collectors, police, fire service personnel, teachers, delivery drivers etc, etc., the list could go on.  The vast majority of these workers will get little or no salary increases in the near future, but nurses are at least being given something, small as it is.

Continuing this hopefully objective argument, nurses, along with their NHS colleagues also have the benefit of rock-solid pension provision that many of the listed workers above (especially those in the private sector) don't get!  Also, newly qualified nurses have already received a 12% increase in salary, taking nurses' average salary to £34000 pa.

Finishing where I started, of course it's 'unfair' that nurses haven't been offered a bigger increase, but any increase is almost certainly more 'fair' than most will receive and definitely more fair than the millions of people who have struggled through the pandemic on furlough or been made redundant through no fault of their own.

My view on this is less about the quantum,,, Its more about how the government used and abused the NHS name to try and demonstrate that they "Cared"

They Milked the clap for Carers, they made sure to deflect any difficult question by refusing to answer and just thanking the heroes of the NHS was asked, They even kept repeating the phrase NHS test and Trace when its was privatised to Serco.

As soon as its all started to die down, and people have started to forget what a truly awful job they did, they have thrown the "Heroes" to one side and given them a insulting rise.

Just now, Iron Curtain said:

My view on this is less about the quantum,,, Its more about how the government used and abused the NHS name to try and demonstrate that they "Cared"

They Milked the clap for Carers, they made sure to deflect any difficult question by refusing to answer and just thanking the heroes of the NHS was asked, They even kept repeating the phrase NHS test and Trace when its was privatised to Serco.

As soon as its all started to die down, and people have started to forget what a truly awful job they did, they have thrown the "Heroes" to one side and given them a insulting rise.

Absolutely!Watch what he does with the other "essential "services in the future🤔

6 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Well that's one view, but rather more emotive and less objective than mine I think.

52 minutes ago, ginge said:

Can give Cummings a 40k pay rise though 

Firstly, can I say I can’t stand Cummings another smarmy snake, that seems to be a requisite qualification for most politicians. That is correct taking his final salary to £140k a year the equivalent salary of 4.2 nurses. According to Daily Mirror, who would stick the boot into the government at every chance. I’m not sure at what pay scale of nurses this represents, it’s just under £35k per nurse. Someone has already pointed out that they paid £340k to an individual who claimed they were bullied, by Priti Patel. 
I’ve never been able to understand why some people in local government and high ranking public sector roles earn considerably more than MP’s, some more than the PM.

I just wish it would be possible for someone to press a reset button.

I can't believe the government have people arguing for them. After brassing up their mates to the tune of billions have people really still got anything but contempt for this government. Oh I forgot they got Brexit done so they get a free pass on everything else. An absolute disgrace and those backing the government are as well in my eyes. 

4 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Firstly, can I say I can’t stand Cummings another smarmy snake, that seems to be a requisite qualification for most politicians. That is correct taking his final salary to £140k a year the equivalent salary of 4.2 nurses. I’m not sure at what pay scale of nurses this represents, it’s just under £35k per nurse. Someone has already pointed out that they paid £340k to an individual who claimed they were bullied, by Priti Patel. 
I’ve never been able to understand why some people in local government and high ranking public sector roles earn considerably more than MP’s.

i wish that it would be possible for someone to press a reset button.

How many nurses could we have got for the failed track and trace system? 

How could any money promised to the NHS (£350m/week) have been in 2016? We literally just left the EU, that money should be there now, not in 2016. 

This country, like every other country, does have a massive debt and this government despite being in power since 2010 has not reduced the debt, even pre covid, in spite of debt reduction being one of it's key promises. The UK debt of more than £2 trillion will never be paid off, If governments had to live within their means nothing would ever get done. For all the financial problems the country has, white elephant projects such as HS2, current estimates over 100 billion, but could end up being massively more, are still going ahead. I would argue that it makes more sense to reward health service essential workers along with other front line public sector workers a decent salary commensurate with skill and experience to encourage young people to join the NHS, Police, Fire Brigade and Teaching professions etc. Other countries such as Australia treat their health workers far better than the UK. My daughter's best friend moved to New Zealand after qualifying, and stayed there for ten years before moving to Australia, and now does a similar job in a Sydney hospital earning twice as much as my daughter for less hours.

The problem is that Boris Johnson has always favoured vanity projects, Boris's Garden Bridge, his bridge/tunnel between Scotland and Ireland, Boris's Bikes (or should that be Ken Livingstone's) and Boris's Airport Island. As somebody who worked at Manchester Airport for twenty five years, oh how we laughed.

The Tories will never adequately fund the public sector. Maybe they could take it out of the £350 million per week for the NHS.

Archived