onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wonderful Nurses Pay Rise

ELDERBEZZA

6 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

Don't disagree with the "motivated nurses" argument, but do have to disagree that every £1 spent on salaries doesn't reduce the funds available for all treatments because clearly it must.

Nurses haven't had a paycut in real terms.  Over the last two years, they have had real terms increases. That's not to say they don't deserve more, but eventually in any organisation/business it comes down to available funds. 

I'm not going back to the Brexit--£350 m per week argument--that's history now much as I wish we hadn't left the EU!

Yeah sorry I may not have written what I meant very well... of course the extra £1 to a nurse reduces other funds by a £1 and that could be used for extra treatment etc... my point is that if the idea is to improve general patient health outcomes then creating a good motivated nurse force will also do that.

Which approach (more services or motivated nurses) gives you most bang for your buck we will never know... but adding extra services needs more nursing time further damaging the effort vs worth vs pay relationship.

Advert

4 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

The only way of catching up is by spending more money, losing trained and experienced nurses/doctors will make the job more difficult. To promise a 2.5% rise and then take it away is not acceptable.  Economically it is better to have a fit and healthy nation, to be more productive and avoid sickness. It is purely political on how resources are used.  We are a wealthy country, use it.

Not sure they were ever promised 2.5%, besides which it's an independent review body that recommends the increase figure.

45 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Yeah sorry I may not have written what I meant very well... of course the extra £1 to a nurse reduces other funds by a £1 and that could be used for extra treatment etc... my point is that if the idea is to improve general patient health outcomes then creating a good motivated nurse force will also do that.

Which approach (more services or motivated nurses) gives you most bang for your buck we will never know... but adding extra services needs more nursing time further damaging the effort vs worth vs pay relationship.

I can't disagree with that, but at the end of the day, there is only so much money to go round and that always has to be balanced.

51 minutes ago, Doha said:

And? It's going to happen. Everyone has had a pay cut set in motion, there's no getting out of it. 

Yes, it has been "set in motion" but that's not what you stated in your previous post, I was just setting the record straight. 

1 minute ago, Bycarsbill said:

Yes, it has been "set in motion" but that's not what you stated in your previous post, I was just setting the record straight. 

Really? That pedantic? 

The next tax year is in about 24 days. We've all had a pay cut, end of. Jesus Christ. 

3 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

Your tax threshold goes UP in 24 days time, so we'll all effectively get a pay 'raise' simples! 

The tfa is going up £70 :laugh: £5.80 odd a month, hardly a rise. Then frozen for 5 years.

Inflation marches on. Million extra people become new tax payers. Frozen bands means a compounding, year on year pay cut. End of story. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56270941

8 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

And here's me thinking that the class wars arguments had disappeared with Jezza!

Grow up. This government has been a national disgrace with the way it's been chucking out money to it's friends and neighbours. The money given away for a joke of a track and trace system could have funded a decent payrise for nurses many times over.

1 hour ago, Bycarsbill said:

there is only so much money to go round and that always has to be balanced.

Freedom of information request has revealed Government have spent £2.6million on refurbishing 9 Downing Street,for press conferences.This,on top of the £200,000 for Johnson's girlfriend's flat redecoration, is scandalous in these difficult times. 

1 minute ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Oh I love it--class wars live!  Check back on how much Blair spent on refurbishing Downing Street and how much Angela Rayner has recently spent on Apple products supposedly for her 'office'--all totally irrelevant of course, but at least it gives me a smile while following today's match that's thoroughly depressing me!

Archived