onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wonderful Nurses Pay Rise

ELDERBEZZA

Advert

12 hours ago, eh up nah said:

Have the Tories ever given a stuff about public services?

Yes they have. In the early eighties when they turned the police into a political organisation for their own ends. I think I’m right in saying that before the pandemic the nurses agreed a 3% pay rise, if the pandemic hadn’t come along would they have handed it back.? They did sign up to help people which is what they’ve done isn’t it.? What about those in the private sector who won’t be getting any sort of pay rise and will possibly lose there jobs, which only pay the living wage, my thoughts are with these people and their families. Fir me these people are the backbone of Britain.

It’s all one big mess and life will never be fair, fact

My daughter is a senior ward sister on a critical care ward and has been in nursing for over thirty years. She has been working fourteen hour shifts for nearly twelve months coping with inadequate PPE, staff shortages etc. She is completely exhausted physically and emotionally but gets on with it! She has too try and supervise the student nurses that have been drafted in too cover for the shortfall in staff, as well as doing her job, which at her level is highly skilled and technical. She has had enough and has decided too leave nursing when things are back to something like normal. She is not alone, many of her senior colleagues who have the same qualifications and experience have also had enough. Their is going to be a massive shortage of senior staff in nursing and no one there to train the newly qualified nurses! It takes a three year university course to qualify and you only really start too learn the job once you start on a ward. A 1% pay rise is an insult and exactly what my daughter forecasted months ago. All this will do is encourage more staff too leave the profession and less young people to apply to become nurses. As regards not being able to afford a decent pay rise, it's amazing how the government managed find a billion pounds for the DUP when they needed them to stay in power! They can always find find the cash for important things!

For several weeks she had to stay in hotel near the hospital to isolate from her husband and three children and at the end of this month it will be exactly a year since I actually saw her!

A higher priority for me would be raising minimum wage and making sure the superrich can’t avoid paying the taxes they’re due - which isn’t to say I think the proposed wage rise for nurses is sufficient. There are shedloads of key workers in the care sector and others that deserve a lot more for their efforts.

17 minutes ago, Valiant62 said:

A higher priority for me would be raising minimum wage and making sure the superrich can’t avoid paying the taxes they’re due - which isn’t to say I think the proposed wage rise for nurses is sufficient. There are shedloads of key workers in the care sector and others that deserve a lot more for their efforts.

Totally agree and while they’re at it get rid of the zero hours contracts 

1 hour ago, Mario said:

Fairs fair the government have offered something they could have offered nowt...What about all those on furlough who have lost money protecting the NHS ?

Plenty of Teachers Police Fire shop workers bus drivers supermarket workers have worked through why does the secretary who works in the renal dept deserve a pay rise ?

What about the monumental waste of money the government have spent on failed private contracts such as test and trace? Or spaffing money up the wall by bailing out the bully Patel. Or HS2 which is not needed or beneficial to the economy compared to other potential projects.

This is a pay cut in real terms. And I agree bus drivers and other hard working public sectors also deserve a rise. 

My daughter is a senior ward sister on a critical care ward and has been in nursing for over thirty years. She has been working fourteen hour shifts for nearly twelve months coping with inadequate PPE, staff shortages etc. She is completely exhausted physically and emotionally but gets on with it! She has too try and supervise the student nurses that have been drafted in too cover for the shortfall in staff, as well as doing her job, which at her level is highly skilled and technical. She has had enough and has decided too leave nursing when things are back to something like normal. She is not alone, many of her senior colleagues who have the same qualifications and experience have also had enough. Their is going to be a massive shortage of senior staff in nursing and no one there to train the newly qualified nurses! It takes a three year university course to qualify and you only really start too learn the job once you start on a ward. A 1% pay rise is an insult and exactly what my daughter forecasted months ago. All this will do is encourage more staff too leave the profession and less young people to apply to become nurses. As regards not being able to afford a decent pay rise, it's amazing how the government managed find a billion pounds for the DUP when they needed them to stay in power! They can always find find the cash for important things!
For several weeks she had to stay in hotel near the hospital to isolate from her husband and three children and at the end of this month it will be exactly a year since I actually saw her!
No problem whatsoever with front line Covid staff the work they do is inspirational

2 hours ago, Mario said:

Fairs fair the government have offered something they could have offered nowt...What about all those on furlough who have lost money protecting the NHS ?

Plenty of Teachers Police Fire shop workers bus drivers supermarket workers have worked through why does the secretary who works in the renal dept deserve a pay rise ?

Working on the covid front line yes probably it's been hell, but a nurse on our estate told me they dont do it for money he said when he signed up it was a vocation as well.

Don’t agree with your first paragraph. It’s insulting from the government. They find it ok to give businesses that haven’t even traded in the past couple of years up to 50k of which they don’t need to start repaying for a full year, and quite frankly don’t need the money, yet offer an insulting 1% rise. Honestly it’s worse than keeping it the same. Just insulting. 

Agree with your 2nd paragraph. I think all those front line workers who haven’t been able to work at home deserve a wage rise. But a proper wage rise, or a bonus something meaningful for all of the hard work. My wife is a teacher who hasn’t worked from home due to vulnerable children in the school, has done probably 3/4 x as much work as normal, goes to school at half 6 gets in at 6 and then works to 10/11 and that Monday - Sunday. All front line workers deserve a decent rise not just the NHS I do agree with that. 

Finally I get where your coming from, that they do the job because they enjoy it. Fair enough, but they still need to be rewarded properly for the job and not insulted. For all of the extra work and everything else they have dealt with I think saying they do it because they enjoy their job is taking it too far. Basically the government are a bunch of <ovf censored>. It was blatantly obvious this would happen. They couldn’t give a <ovf censored> about the NHS or the people who have been on the front line and genuinely deserve something meaningful. 

2 hours ago, Valiant62 said:

its going up next month to £8.91

Archived