Match Thread: Cheltenham Town v Port Vale

37 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Neal is by far the best keeper we had in the 2010s but lost out to Scott Brown in the fan vote because of recency bias. Superb all round keeper, and that's probably why, with him in goal, we won promotion and then finished 9th in League 1

Neal was excellent during the spell although Alnwick was on another level once he built a bit of confidence.

Advert:

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm starting to doubt our play off chances.

Go back to the 365. You cannot be a genuine Vale fan with stupid posts like this.

What are you going to do about it then? Sit on here just crying about it all day? No way to live your life pal. This is the difference between your 12k posts on here and my less than 100. I

Posted Images

Neal was excellent at coming off his line. It was his best attribute, with him being a steady shot stopper.
Neal is by far the best keeper we had in the 2010s but lost out to Scott Brown in the fan vote because of recency bias. Superb all round keeper, and that's probably why, with him in goal, we won promotion and then finished 9th in League 1. 

Browns good at coming off his line, he showed that yesterday... but was then like a rabbit or the headlights of a robin reliant....

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Neal was excellent at coming off his line. It was his best attribute, with him being a steady shot stopper.

Neal is by far the best keeper we had in the 2010s but lost out to Scott Brown in the fan vote because of recency bias. Superb all round keeper, and that's probably why, with him in goal, we won promotion and then finished 9th in League 1. 

We’ll have to agree to disagree then. Neal rarely came off his line and often flapped at it if he did. I remember people on here giving him the same criticisms about being rooted to his line as Brown is receiving now. Alnwick was the same although he’d flap a lot more.

Neal was a great keeper don’t get me wrong, but personally I think Brown was better. Obviously this season he’s been terrible but the previous two he was better for me. I voted Alnwick in that vote anyway, for me he was the best despite his shortcomings at commanding his area. At the end of the day if these keepers were so good at all facets of the game they’d be playing above league 1 or 2. 

We’ve been lucky over the last decade to have 3 amazing keepers (as well as some absolute dross in Fasan, Mehmet and Lainton), and I wouldn’t argue with anyone voting they’re the best, I could see a point for any. Sadly this season Brown’s ability has fallen off a cliff and we need to get rid in the summer. It will be interesting to see what happens with Scott and whether we give him a go at number 1.

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/03/2021 at 18:01, Emile said:

Walsall form is worse than ours and they don't have a decent manager to get them out of it. 

Some posters on here might need to give their head a little wobble... 

On 07/03/2021 at 20:28, MBE said:

Neal was excellent during the spell although Alnwick was on another level once he built a bit of confidence.

Alnwick gets my vote

Advert: