onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Cheltenham Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

20 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

What are the far better opportunities IC ?.

We bored our way to a 0-0 against Stevenage. 

Out of the next 3 homes I see Newport as ' the easiest '.

Oldham are not to be under estimated, 4 th best away form in the division and well Bolton are flying. 

We've played Southend twice , must be honest I'm struggling to see these better opportunities. 

24 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Dosent mean we should just write this game off. there is just as much chance of us getting something here as in any game. 

I don’t really buy into the fact that there is as much chance of getting something against a team who have consistently performed with the players they have and are now top of the league as there is against a mid table team.

Thats completely ignores the fact that some teams are better than others.

If we assume that we would have to surmise that there is nothing wrong with the Vale at the moment and it’s just bad luck we are near the bottom... we all know that’s not true!

Some teams are better than others, the table shows that over a season and Cheltenham are top. Their home record is good. 

Offer me the chance to play Cheltenham again next week or Harrogate and I would choose Harrogate every week.

Would you rather play Salford away or Newport... Newport all day long

Cambridge or Barrow... Barrow all day long even if it wasn’t a 6 pointer

Bolton or Colchester ... Colchester please.

I do understand that we have a % chance against everyone... but that % changes dependent on opposition. To simply state we have as much chance of getting something from this game vs the others I can’t agree with, and neither does the league table.

Advert

I think we have no choice but to play hoof ball with the players we have so my team would be 

Brown

Smith.   Legge.   Brisley.    Crookes

Conlon.     Joyce.    Hurst    

Swann.     Guthrie.     Rodney

not a pretty footballing team but hopeful Swann or Rodney can pick up a loss ball from a Guthrie knock down, can not see any other way we will score at the minute.

Swan looks to have potential but it is a big step up in level for him to be playing adult football against seasoned pro footballers rather than U23. He would have been more useful at the beginning of the season, introduce him gradually and by now he might be up to speed. We are throwing a learner driver straight into the fast lane. Could go either way for him.

8 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Swan looks to have potential but it is a big step up in level for him to be playing adult football against seasoned pro footballers rather than U23. He would have been more useful at the beginning of the season, introduce him gradually and by now he might be up to speed. We are throwing a learner driver straight into the fast lane. Could go either way for him.

That's fair, but I think I'd take a learner driver in the fast line over the parked, broken down vehicles we've got out there at present. Robinson, Cullen, and to an extent Guthrie have had their chances and have failed to deliver. 

Sometimes strikers have that quality; I remember Alex Jones, on his debut, came on and made a superb bending run which won us a penalty (which JJ Hooper missed, I think). We could see, there and then that Jones had that knack.

I got a similar vibe from Swan. Just has that cliched 'spark'. It could end disastrously but there is no chance he's any worse than Robinson, who is the most inconsequential forward I've ever seen.

25 minutes ago, Joe B said:

That's fair, but I think I'd take a learner driver in the fast line over the parked, broken down vehicles we've got out there at present. Robinson, Cullen, and to an extent Guthrie have had their chances and have failed to deliver. 

Sometimes strikers have that quality; I remember Alex Jones, on his debut, came on and made a superb bending run which won us a penalty (which JJ Hooper missed, I think). We could see, there and then that Jones had that knack.

I got a similar vibe from Swan. Just has that cliched 'spark'. It could end disastrously but there is no chance he's any worse than Robinson, who is the most inconsequential forward I've ever seen.

Easy in hindsight,one of the reasons we signed Robinson in the first place was because he scored 11 goals in 28 appearances for Colchester last season.It seemed a good decision at the time?

It seems their are a few strikers out there who just don't fit into our system?

51 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I don’t really buy into the fact that there is as much chance of getting something against a team who have consistently performed with the players they have and are now top of the league as there is against a mid table team.

Thats completely ignores the fact that some teams are better than others.

If we assume that we would have to surmise that there is nothing wrong with the Vale at the moment and it’s just bad luck we are near the bottom... we all know that’s not true!

Some teams are better than others, the table shows that over a season and Cheltenham are top. Their home record is good. 

Offer me the chance to play Cheltenham again next week or Harrogate and I would choose Harrogate every week.

Would you rather play Salford away or Newport... Newport all day long

Cambridge or Barrow... Barrow all day long even if it wasn’t a 6 pointer

Bolton or Colchester ... Colchester please.

I do understand that we have a % chance against everyone... but that % changes dependent on opposition. To simply state we have as much chance of getting something from this game vs the others I can’t agree with, and neither does the league table.

Totally agree, but with our current form and the general malaise our better opportunities are running out.

My personal choices would be 

Newport Crawley Harrogate , 

The first are sinking quickly and the other pair have little to play for. 

Mid table teams are often hit and miss hence their league position. 

We possibly could get a point today but I feel it's very unlikely

33 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Easy in hindsight,one of the reasons we signed Robinson in the first place was because he scored 11 goals in 28 appearances for Colchester last season.It seemed a good decision at the time?

He was dire for us last time why would it have been different this time? 7 in 16 at Swindon which is good but before that 11 in 70 at Southend and 1 in 14 at Lincoln. Bad player, bad signing 

40 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Colchester had a lot of decent attacking, creative players; Senior, Norris, Pell, Nouble, Poku, Gambin, Comley, Harriott, as well as Brammall and Jackson from the back. 

Robinson has had a reasonable enough career to suggest he can probably score 10 goals (no more, his best ever season is 13 and he's hit 10+ twice in the last decade)  in a good, creative side, but in a side like ours which was largely predicated (when good) on a solid structure and not a great deal of goals and creativity outside of David Worrall, he just offers absolutely nothing.

I truly have never seen a player be as anonymous as he's been in every start he's had.

12 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Feels a bit pointless playing this game.

There isn't a hope in hell if winning or even drawing.

We pick up more injuries than points these days.

Can we just give them 3 pts - at least then we might not pick up anymore injuries 

It's 52 weeks since our last game with fans , a year to the date tomorrow.

That day we played well and had the penalty incident and a late Pope miss. Came away content that the following week we'd beat Crawley and get off the draw train we were on.

How time flies and things change 

It's a bag of wind I'm not writing any game off a early goal for Vale the passing crisper the confidence better we already beat these 2-1 after a terrible first half where we defended appalling, so I have brought the game and looking forwards to it .

We have everything to gain Grimsby will beat Forest Green that's the only thing  you need be having telling the players that ,the bottom 3 are closing in what you going do about IT.

UTV 

Archived