onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Cheltenham Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

1 hour ago, LancyTony said:

It isn't just 2 places, though is it? It's *checks notes* 5 and 10 points, and better GD by 20 and 22 goals - so, worth another point. Not pretty and certainly no room for complacency, but I've not seen enough from the bottom 2 (3) to think that 2 of them can get out of the mire. And a single win from us might drag those above us into it, too?

You say you haven't seen enough from the bottom 2 to get out of the mire, after the Orient game which was only 4 games ago, we were 10 points clear of the bottom 2, that is now 5 points, the rate it is going we will in there before the end of the month.  I so hope I am wrong and we have nothing to worry about but I fear if we did drop in the bottom 2, we would not get out of it.

Advert

13 minutes ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

Fact,Conlon enjoys the more advanced role that made him such an improved player this season.His role since Clarke has arrived speaks volumes for the manager and his defensive system ,which is wrecking one of the only positives from a sxxt season.Play the decent few players that we have in their best roles.

I have no idea why Clarke his giving him that role. From watching Conlon in his time at vale I would say he has very little defensive qualities, but a lot of attacking qualities. I couldn’t think of anyone I would want to do the role he is currently doing less. 1 he’s no good there and number 2 it completely hampers us moving forwards. 

Made the mistake of rewatching the first goal.

How and why does a nearly 36 year old goalkeeper with well over 500 professional games played hesitate and tap dance like a fcking newborn Doe on an iced up pond like he did? 

It's actually incredible. The fcking idiot then actually tried to head it. Incredible.

Brown's game makes little sense to me. Very good quick reaction shot stopper, appalling commander of his area and hesitant/anxious about coming out to clear or claim a ball to the extent that the team doctor needs to prescribe him some fcking Diazepam or something. It doesn't make sense at his level of experience, it should be the other way round, reactions slowing down but an excellent marshaller and a rock solid decision making ability. 

The only mitigation I can come up with is Mills confused him by shouting 'mine' or something. Ignore him and just wallop it you daft bstard. How is this anxiety trait still an issue at 500+ games!?!?!?!?!?

4 hours ago, Doha said:

Made the mistake of rewatching the first goal.

How and why does a nearly 36 year old goalkeeper with well over 500 professional games played hesitate and tap dance like a fcking newborn Doe on an iced up pond like he did? 

It's actually incredible. The fcking idiot then actually tried to head it. Incredible.

Brown's game makes little sense to me. Very good quick reaction shot stopper, appalling commander of his area and hesitant/anxious about coming out to clear or claim a ball to the extent that the team doctor needs to prescribe him some fcking Diazepam or something. It doesn't make sense at his level of experience, it should be the other way round, reactions slowing down but an excellent marshaller and a rock solid decision making ability. 

The only mitigation I can come up with is Mills confused him by shouting 'mine' or something. Ignore him and just wallop it you daft bstard. How is this anxiety trait still an issue at 500+ games!?!?!?!?!?

Just watched it back too. I really don’t understand his hesitation. He easily got there first, wasn’t even close, wouldn’t have been difficult for him to volley out of play for a throw. I doubt their player would have even really challenged him cus he’d get booked for leaving one in on him. And Mills never goes for it, so he can’t have got confused over that. Mills is stood there with his arms out trying to block off the forward. Totally totally bizarre from Brown. 

For all the criticism of Brown for the first goal Mills could have taken charge and just cleared it. Same goes for Smith when we conceded a similar goal against Walsall. The defenders should take some responsibility as well. Yes we can say that Browns called for it, but those players also need to be strong too and just deal with the ball instead of waiting and hesitating. There’s a problem in communication and players being decisive IMO. 

The other 2 goals highlight a weakness in how we mark from a ball coming back across the box, almost of the players involved either ball watch or go back on the goal line giving the opposition time and space in the box. Cheltenham were at it all game with a long diagonal to the back post and trying to get the nod back across goal, they seem to me to have taken a leaf out of Northampton’s book and bombard their way out of the league. 

12 hours ago, Jermaine Holwynn said:

Would not put it past some fans to go down there and shout at the players/staff regardless. Sadly, that's where I'm at mentally with Vale fans.

I daren't look on Facebook, but I bet they are calling for blood.

I left Facebook a while ago mate 

the wonder of port vale site is ridiculous 

no wonder we got such a negative fan base if the majority are reading that daft week in week out 

1 hour ago, sunny boslem said:

I left Facebook a while ago mate 

the wonder of port vale site is ridiculous 

no wonder we got such a negative fan base if the majority are reading that daft week in week out 

They react to what they see and what they see is players not rolling up there sleeves and fighting .

For 77 mins that was the case yesterday last 20 we looked a real good side and looked up for it so I am guessing from that that theres certain players on that pitch who are aiding in Vales demise hope Clarke roots them out and gets rid how else can you describe the minutes before Swann and Robinson entered the fray .

Quite astounding how the ball ends up in the back of our net from the images below. It's almost as if he thinks there's a football law prohibiting goalkeepers stepping foot outside their area. 

Can't help thinking that because of the bouncing ball he has flashbacks to the Walsall error & totally bottles it in case he "air kicks" it again.

Either way, terrible goalkeeping. I will also say though, Mills does an absolutely ATROCIOUS job of blocking the runner. He literally allows him to sprint straight past him. Woeful.

20210307_085415.jpg

20210307_085459.jpg

Brown wanted it to come into his box, released it wasn't coming, and panicked. 

Mills is pony but if your goalkeeper is that far out you assume they're dealing with it, especially as they are at a far better angle.

10 hours ago, Badgerspaws said:

Many would consider the second goal conceded as being unfortunate, and indeed it was. But the cross from the left that lead up to the goal passed no greater than three yards in front of Brown, who never moved a muscle. Two strides and he would have caught it. What do we pay Ronnie Sinclair to do?

But does a goalkeeper coach need to instill that in a veteran keeper ? 

I blame Brown not Sinclair.

In fact a keeping coach always intrigues me. Keep the ball out of the net and command area is the requisite unless you are Ederson at Man City.

All lower league keeping coaches do is smash the ball into their midriff from 6 yards and get them to kick it to the half way line. All very pointless. 

17 hours ago, Badgerspaws said:

Many would consider the second goal conceded as being unfortunate, and indeed it was. But the cross from the left that lead up to the goal passed no greater than three yards in front of Brown, who never moved a muscle. Two strides and he would have caught it. What do we pay Ronnie Sinclair to do?

Mistakes happen and I accept the 1st one is calamity by Brown not been decisive although why the hell is Mills not blocking the runner off? These things can happen sadly a few times to Brown this season.

What really annoyed me the most during the game leading upto the 2 goal was they hoofed the ball upto May.He had 6 yards of space to bring the ball down and play it out to the left. We had 3 <ovf censored> CB's on the pitch marking and they couldn't figure out who was going to mark him!!! 

The 3rd goal tipped over the edge.How basic was that goal. Midfield where missing in action again. I saw criticism of Smith on that but he was marking the other striker at the back post. Its upto the midfield to follow the runner into the box. The dog had walk out the room.

I'm still fizzing about that <ovf censored> abysmal performance. That group of players are not fit to wear the shirt.

12 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

MY Mark's Brown 4 made a few good saves  but you do not bottle out of kicking the ball away and the second hits him and goes in ,the third goal a lucky goal bouncing shot .

Mills 4 no confidence on the ball at all and no confidence when it come to defending either 

Legge 5 thought he was the only one playing at the back at times today 

Smith 3 lousy over rated and downright awful always miles away from his player Mark's fresh air .

Crookes 5 improved as game went on .

Taylor 3 decent effort at goal but was not winning the ball or driving us forwards ,replaced all in all ineffective 

Joyce 5 another one who's performance improved in last 20 you have to ask what the lousy long ball hoofing created first 77 mins ,nearly scored a equaliser which the goalie did well save .

Conlon 4 struggling to see what he offers .

Hurst 4 scored but generally didnt have a good game not involved as game passes him by.

Guthrie 1 unacceptable terrible performance offered zilch lost the ball was dominated ,crap in a word 

Rodney 5 ,4 of that mark for last 20 where he played well after moving from being a lousy centre forward to a good go for it Wideman .

I think you are being very generous with your marks this week.

Agreed. It's a goalkeeping error, I just felt Mills could've done a little more to protect the ball.
Mills has to make a calculation of how much time Brown needed. He gave him more than enough time. If he blocks too hard then there is a risk that he concedes a needless free kick in a dangerous area when it should be more than comfortable for Brown.

Archived