onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Cheltenham Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Here we go again, this week`s leaders on a good run. Injuries continue to mount, but little sign of any recoveries. Plenty of sweat and tears but few goals to enjoy. What can we expect? Most fit players have been viewed and options explored, time to take small chances in attack?  Maybe a tight game will go our way for a change? Lets make it a Festival.

Advert

DC says the squad is built for 4-3-3 so lets play it. 3 at the back needs good wingbacks anyway and with monty and gibbos injuries its time to go back to 4-3-3 until we have the players to play other systems. Also considering how bad our strike force is at the moment it's a waste of 2 places on the team sheet.

I'd go with

Brown

Gibbo if fit/ Mills
Mussy (he looked bright and I get the rest with his age and inexperience but give him a go)
Smith
Crookes

Conlon
Joyce if fit/Burgess
Taylor

Hurst (looks good but missing end product so far)
Swan
Rodney

Robinson and whitehead were terrible-keep them away please. And I think we need to try and keep a settled side. Sooner we have Worrall back in and amoo/pope/monty/gibbo fit the better.

Use this a basically a free punt. If we go there for a point and sit in all game again we will lose. Let’s just attack them, if we get beaten comfortably then so be it. 

Brown

Mills 😑 Legge Smith Crookes

Conlon Taylor Joyce 

Rodney Guthrie Hurst 

Awful side really but not sure what else what could do? Be nice to see the two loan lads given a chance but not sure if Clarke rates them (massive error by carol which was blatantly obvious in January). Hurst no assists as of yet but I don’t think we have anyone else who can play there. Joyce has been awful but again no other options. Guthrie yet to score but we’re playing hoofball so he has to start. Bin whitehead and especially Robinson back out of the squad. Mckirdy would have offered more. 

Let's hope the bad karma of our last visit there where I'm sure we should have won and had at least one pen or two is changed to good karma .

I'm not sure who I would start with  as its plainly obvious whoevers chosen when we get a free kick theres lack of desire get on anything a seemingly lack of bottle and guts to get it in the oppositions net ,micky Adam's had a good saying or was it Grewy,that saying so true with these players so why not strike it on the floor to someone who can shoot a Burgess or taylor ,even corners just play it back to your midfielder and tell him hit it as hard as he can ,hoofball when Conlon and Hurst are smaller than me mum and she's small is nonsense football I'd play Swann up front with Cullen and then theres no point in long ball it doesn't work we had had about 6 shots in four games playing this nonsense way get it on the floor and push it through the field .

Yes it means we are changing the way we play but so what all them set pieces and Smith and Legge and all the other big units not getting on the end of them ,so I question myself there are the balls in lousy or are the players who supposed be making things happen once that ball comes in the box GUTLESS and not wanting score for Port Vale .

So its 11 players heres mine for reasons just stated .

Brown 

Mills Legge Smith Fitzpatrick 

Taylor Joyce Burgess Hurst

Swann Cullen 

No point in hoofing play football .

BROWN

preferred                    injury depending

GIBBO                         SMITH

OLAGUNJU                 LEGGE

SMITH                         OLAGUNJU

MONTY                       CROOKES

TAYLOR

CONLON

JOYCE

HURST

GUTHRIE

SWAN

Rodney is not undroppable and we need to do something new. Swan has had no real chance apart from a game where nobody passed him the ball.

Very worrying that Worrall is still not near a return according to Clarke's interview.

No Pope, maybe Manny in a few weeks and maybe Amoo in a week.

7 minutes ago, 1 said:

BROWN

preferred                    injury depending

GIBBO                         SMITH

OLAGUNJU                 LEGGE

SMITH                         OLAGUNJU

MONTY                       CROOKES

TAYLOR

CONLON

JOYCE

HURST

GUTHRIE

SWAN

Rodney is not undroppable and we need to do something new. Swan has had no real chance apart from a game where nobody passed him the ball.

Very worrying that Worrall is still not near a return according to Clarke's interview.

No Pope, maybe Manny in a few weeks and maybe Amoo in a week.

Worrying mate, a few weeks takes us basically to the end of March by which time we are into single figures of games left.

5 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

Use this a basically a free punt. If we go there for a point and sit in all game again we will lose. Let’s just attack them, if we get beaten comfortably then so be it. 

Brown

Mills 😑 Legge Smith Crookes

Conlon Taylor Joyce 

Rodney Guthrie Hurst 

Awful side really but not sure what else what could do? Be nice to see the two loan lads given a chance but not sure if Clarke rates them (massive error by carol which was blatantly obvious in January). Hurst no assists as of yet but I don’t think we have anyone else who can play there. Joyce has been awful but again no other options. Guthrie yet to score but we’re playing hoofball so he has to start. Bin whitehead and especially Robinson back out of the squad. Mckirdy would have offered more. 

I have to agree with most of this and the only difference between the line up i suggested is the 2 loan signings for Legge and Guthrie. I think they will be more hungry than players that know they probably won't be here next season. 

Be nice to get a win, but with our strikers, midfield and playing hoof ball, can only see a defeat by 1 goal.  Probably scored in injury time as well.

Swann must be wondering how Robinson gets picked before him at the moment. 

Please no Mills or Whitehead.  Its like playing against 13 players as they always seem to be kicking backwards or to the opposition.

433 is the only way out. We have never looked like scoring in any other formation. We are now literally registering whole games without having a shot on target, how are we going to go from that to winning the necessary games?

flat back 4, joyce anchor, conlon and taylor free, rodney and hurst supporting guthrie as the central striker.

We should be able to play that even with the injuries, as it would be a worse but still feasible back 4.

Sitting conlon back defensively and booting the ball up to strikers that can't hold the ball up is desperate and will never work consistently.

15 hours ago, PVFC764 said:

Be nice to get a win, but with our strikers, midfield and playing hoof ball, can only see a defeat by 1 goal.  Probably scored in injury time as well.

Swann must be wondering how Robinson gets picked before him at the moment. 

Please no Mills or Whitehead.  Its like playing against 13 players as they always seem to be kicking backwards or to the opposition.

tbf I'd actually prefer to give Swann a go as a supporting striker in a 3, but then i can't think where to put Hurst unless Rodney is dropped

Archived