Match Thread: Salford City v Port Vale

We're averaging 0.68 points per game over the past 22 games. We accumulated more points in our opening 9 games of the season than we have done in the past 22.

0.68 points per game would get you just over 31 points in a whole season. It's worse than relegation form.

If we continue at the same rate for the remainder of the season we will finish on 41/42 points which will see us down. 

Tough game Saturday which I can't see us getting anything from despite us beating them at our place. We then have 3 x home games on the spin which could determine our entire season and future as a club. Simply huge.

• Like 3

Advert:

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most of these players are getting away with murder. If there was a crowd in every week by now they would be getting dogs abuse which quite  frankly they deserve, but as things are they just waltz off

I’m afraid Clarke hasn’t shown anything that makes me think he can get us out of this mess however much he talks

After selecting Robinson and Whitehead I don't want to hear any more excuses or Clarke putting the blame on someone else.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Im really struggling to see what devante is bringing at the moment loses the ball all the time he cant control it i think we need experience up there id go with cullen and guthrie up top and bring devante on later in the game because he has offered nothing for the past few games. Im not singleing him out but i just dont think he is up to scratch for battling out results. You cant take 5 touches to get the ball under control

You're suggesting Cullen and Guthrie when they've offered far less than Rodney. For starters he's the only one with a few goals to his name.

For my money Devante has been a better option out wide, where he has more opportunity to take his man on, but we can't play him as a wing back and he perhaps cant be trusted to track back in a 442.  He's putting a lot of effort in but the bad touches, the miscues, and poor decisions, are costing us.  He sees a lot of the ball but can't hold it up.  The other strikers don't see as much of the ball, and they can't hold it up either.  As things stand we're waiting for our 35 year old striker to come back from injury, because although he doesn't move as well as the others he's far better in every other aspect of the game.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Breadwinner said:

They had one in the second half but that was going nowhere ,I'm byest to Vale very disappointed in them again the goal we conceded was a joke of a goal a goal we have being giving away all season ,they didnt do anything warrant that goal so how come he has got a free header in our box and why was the cross allowed in .

Piss poor in my opinion, have noticed that the other teams never give us a soft goal beat ourselves as usual .

Please do not tell me Rodney is a 90 minute footballer that's three games in a row second half zero impact 

It was very poor defending for the goal. I don' think we would have conceded that goal if we where still playing 352 but switched to 451 following Gibbo injury. Just illustrates why we need 3 CB's to be solid.

Rodney is never a striker in million years. LW for me. Give him room to receive the ball too feet and push it past the defender and run to cause problems.

Advert:

We have 6 strikers at the club and at present none of them can be relied on.  Rodney although has 10 goals is better on the wing, Cullen hasn't scored in the league since the opening day of the season, Theo has one penalty in the league and is hopeless.  Guthrie although works harder than Robinson, I can't seem him scoring many, Swan, too early to judge but looked lightweight, I think our chances rely on a 35 year old recovering for the last few matches.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Im really struggling to see what devante is bringing at the moment loses the ball all the time he cant control it i think we need experience up there id go with cullen and guthrie up top and bring devante on later in the game because he has offered nothing for the past few games. Im not singleing him out but i just dont think he is up to scratch for battling out results. You cant take 5 touches to get the ball under control

Also he fades away into the background once again second half name anything he did he doesn't muscle his way past players ,he has pace but doesn't use it win penalties and the one time he finds himself free he miscontrols it and the chance go one up is gone and low and behold we are caught out of position and they score when really its us who should be scoring .

Love Vale whatever league we in so be it but come on surely we capable of much better than that ,what's  with the kick and rush and why we passing it slowly pass and move quickly and be brave in possession ,why Whitehead and not Burgess in the past three games he is the only one who as  hit a decent effort at goal ok it went wide but it was a fabulous hit ,I want see my players banging shots in like that but obviously on target .

Posted (edited)

I notice Clarke has mentioned players getting off their social media. Could well be aimed at Robinson and Guthrie who seem to post loads of <ovf censored> on theres. Be nice if we just had a couple of players who actually gave a <ovf censored>. 

Edited by valiant_593
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I notice Clarke has mentioned players getting off their social media. Could well be aimed at Robinson and Guthrie who seem to post loads of <ovf censored> on theres. Be nice if we just had a couple of players who actually gave a <ovf censored>. 

The worrying thing for me and i hope im wrong, but i fear a lot of players know they wont be at the football club next season so will they put a shift in for the remaining games, especially with no fans? Were in a mess, it could go either way this one and the 8 point gap will get wiped out if we dont win a game in the next 4. Its going go to the last game of the season isnt it, against Grimsby. 😮

Just now, sandyford_valiant said:

The worrying thing for me and i hope im wrong, but i fear a lot of players know they wont be at the football club next season so will they put a shift in for the remaining games, especially with no fans? Were in a mess, it could go either way this one and the 8 point gap will get wiped out if we dont win a game in the next 4. Its going go to the last game of the season isnt it, against Grimsby. 😮

With the way things are going it could well do. 

I just hope we start getting players back from injury. As soon as Worrall is back fit we will improve, even though players like amoo and manny have been poor we need them back ASAP. I think we’ve just got to hope that those below us keep losing games

Advert:

I think the stats say it all 90 mins and not one shot on target, boy are we in trouble. I don't profess to know the answer but we are in deep trouble , a very worried man here.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

With the way things are going it could well do. 

I just hope we start getting players back from injury. As soon as Worrall is back fit we will improve, even though players like amoo and manny have been poor we need them back ASAP. I think we’ve just got to hope that those below us keep losing games

I agree. we just need to produce one of those fluke wins and saturday would be ideal. grimsby or barrow will pick a win up soon im certain of it and after they have we cant carry on losing games or weve had it. 8 points is a big gap for the moment. two quick wins will ease the nerves massively. 

Edited by sandyford_valiant

Posted (edited)

A win would be so big psychologically for teams below us as well the last thing we want to do is give them hope and every game that goes by they will start to believe they are going to catch us. A win and make that bigger will put some much pressure on them teams to pick up results. We just simply need a win. We have thr advantage in terms of points in the bank why not against Cheltenham a team who we will more than likely lost to just go for it play as attacking as we can and just get at them id prefer lose 3:0 at the weekend and actually go for it and have shots on target than try shut them out for 90 mins and inevitably lose 1:0

Edited by Vale1995
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Guitar Ray said:

You're suggesting Cullen and Guthrie when they've offered far less than Rodney. For starters he's the only one with a few goals to his name.

For my money Devante has been a better option out wide, where he has more opportunity to take his man on, but we can't play him as a wing back and he perhaps cant be trusted to track back in a 442.  He's putting a lot of effort in but the bad touches, the miscues, and poor decisions, are costing us.  He sees a lot of the ball but can't hold it up.  The other strikers don't see as much of the ball, and they can't hold it up either.  As things stand we're waiting for our 35 year old striker to come back from injury, because although he doesn't move as well as the others he's far better in every other aspect of the game.

Does devante have the most potential and had the better season most definitely my point is we are desperate for a win. We need someone who can pinch a goal and the way we are playing we are only going score a scrappy goal. Someone like cullen yes not been great but hes got a scrappy goal in him following in at the back post from a rebound however it comes he has the experience to be in the right place at the right time. I dont think devante has that in him and we desperately need that goal thats why i would drop him . And then bring him on for the last 20 on the wing and let him cause havoc he has offered very little in the last few games

50 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I notice Clarke has mentioned players getting off their social media.

Ah, that is the problem then. Not being garbage then, rubbish team selection, Askey. This guy has come up with more excuses for us being rubbish in a few weeks than the rest in ten years.  How many points has he got so far?  He's taking us down. 

Remember Aspin and Askey came in and kept us up with what they had to work with in far more dire circs. This guy Clarke worries me. Deluded.

• Like 4

Advert:

Posted (edited)

5 games in and he is already coming out with ....

the lads gave me everything ...

no they didn't they <ovf censored> !ost !!

how to get out of it .....

we have to make it scrappy and hope something drops for us 

<ovf censored> me is that supposed to fill anyone with confidence I

what happens next Darrel!? ....

we go again!!

perhaps Walsall fans were exactly right in every way!

Edited by andy jones
Mistype
  • Like 3

Listening to the Ale & Vale excellent podcast tonight, if the story about Jamal Matt is true then frankly I give up, I could have told you Maynard would go to Mansfield he played us like a fiddle, Askey should have told him to do one, in fact to even entertain the mercenary was ludicrous and if Matt was at the club as A&V report, and as a striker who likes to play up front on his own, Askey must have been on cloud cuckoo land not to sign him.

Also, if we had unloaded a player and used the money Askey wanted to pay Maynard I agree with the lads I'm sure we could have afforded Vaughan, totally fed up tonight, the last five years have been a joke other than the last few months of last season.

Smurthwaite has damaged this club beyond belief, but Askey should have been hooked earlier and whoever the new manager was, at least have given him the transfer window.

Relegation for me and a lot like me is unthinkable. Every decision in the last 5 years has been the wrong one, all we can do now is pray to the football Gods and hope they are sympathetic.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Does devante have the most potential and had the better season most definitely my point is we are desperate for a win. We need someone who can pinch a goal and the way we are playing we are only going score a scrappy goal. Someone like cullen yes not been great but hes got a scrappy goal in him following in at the back post from a rebound however it comes he has the experience to be in the right place at the right time. I dont think devante has that in him and we desperately need that goal thats why i would drop him . And then bring him on for the last 20 on the wing and let him cause havoc he has offered very little in the last few games

When you look at there goal which started from rodney miscontrolling the ball the goalkeeper rolled the ballout look where smith is he supposed to be in the back four he never recovers and leaves a gaping hole in our defence which drags Legge out and leaves the middle wide open for henderson to score.