onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Salford City v Port Vale

Fosse69

We have no confidence there are no leaders thars for sure and the captain is underwhelming to be honest I'm scratching me head at why he is in the team as for Rodney either move him to wing or put him on the bench .

Heres my mark anyway on yet another distressing night for the lovers of the Vale but great night again for the supporters of the clubs who loathe us .

Brown 6 

Gibbons 6 

Smith 6

Legge 6 

Crookes 6 

MONTANO 5 went off big blow very early Hurst 7 his replacement st least looked interested 

Whitehead 5 no driving from midfield no shots at goal ,ado much about nothing ,did ok if you want nothing balls five yards 

Joyce 6 no creativity at all aimless balls a lot of ge time 

Conlon 4 balls in atrocious ,never gets a shot away ,meanders through games ,cannot tackle ,works hard but for me needs replacing .

Robinson 6 I actually thought he was putting himself about well second half and he is a goalscorer but you have to create something for him to miss we didnt we were <ovf censored> .

Rodney 4 underwhelmed again by him that's 3 games in a row second half he is gone missing on the pitch Clarke obviously needs go to specsavers if he is happy with that did nothing ,first half his balls up cost us the game along Whitehead and the docile Smith Brisley and Crookes .

Clarke 4 very underwhelming start to management at Vale ,injuries do not help but lets not make excuses in 4 games we have had about 4 attempts on target none last night at all ,its all very disappointing .

Another tenner wasted on full hearted defence bar one occasion and that's all it takes if you cannot score ,midfield not enough legs do anything and forwards very underwhelming although first half I thought they both did ok ,second half they faded away and we cannot have that we have to have people throwing themselves at the ball trying score mind you how can you when time and time again the final ball in  is lousy 

Advert

The simplicity of the goal and other goals against us is the scary thing.

In the space of maybe 20 seconds we had that pathetic bit of play from Rodney, was it maybe 2 or 3 passes later the ball is in our net.

Scunthorpe away was another goal from nowhere.

It's got to the stage where i'm looking at remaining games of all 4 clubs. Never works out on paper as Southend have proved with a couple of shock away wins. Does anyone here fancy us for a shock away win ? Thought not.

MARCH FIXTURES

VALE .  Cheltenham A, Oldham H, Bolton H, Newport H, Colchester A ,Crawley A    6 GAMES

SOUTHEND.  Oldham A, Tranmere H, Stevenage H, Scunthorpe A, Walsall H, Harrogate A  6 GAMES

BARROW.  Mansfield H, Walsall A, Cheltenham A, Crawley H, Grimsby H, Stevenage A   6 GAMES

GRIMSBY. Forest Green H, Carlisle A, Colchester H, Tranmere H, Mansfield A, Barrow A, Walsall H   7 GAMES

Like i said means nothing on paper but some crucial games for all 4 teams including Barrow playing Grimsby. 

We have simply got to get 7 points minimum from our next 18. 

Also a question for Clarke I've got lots for you the ones the scared and timid will not ask .

Where was Mills last night thought personally he did ok at weekend.

What did Burgess do wrong on sat to be omitted from the starting Xl.

What are you seeing in Rodney what suggest he is a striker hardly Bob Latchford is he I cannot see him getting his teeth knocked out heading a ball home and also why leave him on for majority of games where second half he disappears and on what I'm seeing on ifollow is not involved ,so the question is do you see what I see and if you do why are you playing him as a striker ,does he flick balls on ,does he burst past players ,no he doesn't well not in your system he doesn't so either <ovf censored> him off or change the system. 

2 hours ago, Conrad said:

We have 6 regular first team players out injured at the moment, if that happens if we had a squad of 18 we’d be stuffed.

If injuries don't improve we might be unable to fulfill fixtures next season with this daft limit of 20 man squads

50 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

The simplicity of the goal and other goals against us is the scary thing.

In the space of maybe 20 seconds we had that pathetic bit of play from Rodney, was it maybe 2 or 3 passes later the ball is in our net.

Scunthorpe away was another goal from nowhere.

It's got to the stage where i'm looking at remaining games of all 4 clubs. Never works out on paper as Southend have proved with a couple of shock away wins. Does anyone here fancy us for a shock away win ? Thought not.

Goals are often scored quickly on the break when someone loses the ball unexpectedly and the opposition capitalise on the fact that their team mates are out of defensive shape from trying to support the attack. I agree it is concerning how often it happens to us though.

No one expected us to get the shock away win at Bolton so it can happen.

There are two things that really worry me:

The constant change of formation from game to game and often 2 or 3 times during a game.
The way players are being brought in for a game and then bombed out of the squad.

Askey was criticised for never changing the way we play but we seem to have gone to the complete opposite end of the spectrum. This can go 1 of 2 ways, if it works you look like a tactical genius who is always a step ahead of the opposition and keeps them guessing but if it doesn't you look like someone throwing crap against a wall in the hope that someday you will create a piece of art. A few times already I think that we have switched from a formation that was working relatively well to one that hasn't.

I hope that Clarke is just trying to assess the squad and different formations in a game situation and this will begin to settle down a bit now he has had the chance to do this. Don't get me wrong I do expect that he will chop and change between team selections & formations but not quite to the extent he is currently doing. 

We can't say that we weren't warned.

Absolutely spot on on A & V last night about the strikers.

It is absolutely shocking the situation that we're in there. It's also typical Port Vale and what annoys me most about the club.

We must be paying 7kish out per week combined on Guthrie, Cullen and Robinson.  Why the hell we don't ever go out and get a Vaughan, a Doyle, a Matt (whi it seems we actually had at the club and messed around) is beyond me.

We probably sit there and think "ooooo, that's way too much for one player."  They play every game and get 1 in 2. For certain.

And we're messing around with three utterly abysmal strikers.

And we only play one anyway!!!!!

A joke.

For the very low bar we've set this season, we were ok last night.

First half by far the better side and showed levels of desire and fight that have been missing for months Looked bang up for a scrap and if any of our players had any confidence in the final third we'd have scored first and gone on from there. As it was, their 5k/week striker who's spent the last 15 years scoring goals for fun did what none of our players could - little bit of nice movement and a solid finish. Take note, Devante Rodney.

Second half we didn't really get going and made the least effective triple substitution in the history of the game. In years to come I hope we can look back and laugh at it. That can wait, for now I'm deeply concerned that our football league status is going to come down to 6-pointers against Barrow and Grimsby. The state of it.

6 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

Goals are often scored quickly on the break when someone loses the ball unexpectedly and the opposition capitalise on the fact that their team mates are out of defensive shape from trying to support the attack. I agree it is concerning how often it happens to us though.

The constant change of formation from game to game and often 2 or 3 times during a game.
The way players are being brought in for a game and then bombed out of the squad.

Askey was criticised for never changing the way we play but we seem to have gone to the complete opposite end of the spectrum. This can go 1 of 2 ways, if it works you look like a tactical genius who is always a step ahead of the opposition and keeps them guessing but if it doesn't you look like someone throwing crap against a wall in the hope that someday you will create a piece of art. A few times already I think that we have switched from a formation that was working relatively well to one that hasn't.

I hope that Clarke is just trying to assess the squad and different formations in a game situation and this will begin to settle down a bit now he has had the chance to do this. Don't get me wrong I do expect that he will chop and change between team selections & formations but not quite to the extent he is currently doing. 

as the manager said, this squad of players was bought in to play a  specific system, ie. 4-3-3. they were quiet successful for part of last season. why insist then on playing different systems they are not capable of playing? injuries must be due to poor training, why play injured players ie gibbons and montana? why cant our defence string three forward passes together and why every second ball goes to the opposition? he likes statistics apparently, since his arrival according to i follow, they are rubbish. sort it out please.

2 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

Absolutely spot on on A & V last night about the strikers.

It is absolutely shocking the situation that we're in there. It's also typical Port Vale and what annoys me most about the club.

We must be paying 7kish out per week combined on Guthrie, Cullen and Robinson.  Why the hell we don't ever go out and get a Vaughan, a Doyle, a Matt (whi it seems we actually had at the club and messed around) is beyond me.

We probably sit there and think "ooooo, that's way too much for one player."  They play every game and get 1 in 2. For certain.

And we're messing around with three utterly abysmal strikers.

And we only play one anyway!!!!!

A joke.

Not jumping on the bandwagon here mate.

I've said before, probably going back a good while.

Instead of 3 average Joes on 600 a week i'd love to see that marquee signing on 1800 a week. You get what you pay for most of the time.

It might unsettle the squad is one argument i've seen in the past. That would soon be put to bed when they are banging them in.

I've also seen counter arguments which are true that say Newport top scorer was on about 7. They share the goals around which is fair enough.

Money talks, i'd love to see a true League 2 top quality player willing to join. A Van Veen, Vaughan, Ajose, Doyle type.  And i know a couple of those haven't pulled up any trees because of injuries this season. But i'm sure you get my gist.

Last season Swindon had Doyle and Jerry Yates, Plymouth had Danny Mayor. Game changers . 

16 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

In fairness mate Bolton were a shambles when we went there, i don't think it was a huge shock. For example they'd spank us now. By a shock win i mean us winning at Cheltenham on Saturday or for that matter just beating anybody would be a shock !!!

With regards to the breakaway goals you are right, but we are such a soft touch that just 2 decent passes opens us right up. 

In fairness mate Bolton were a shambles when we went there, i don't think it was a huge shock. For example they'd spank us now. By a shock win i mean us winning at Cheltenham on Saturday or for that matter just beating anybody would be a shock !!!
With regards to the breakaway goals you are right, but we are such a soft touch that just 2 decent passes opens us right up. 
Bolton had won 5 (4 proper games) on the trot when we played them after getting off to an abysmal start. I was certainly shocked especially at scoring 6.

I'm not overly enamoured with the new manager but we need to, at the very least allow him to make a rod for his own back. Unfortunately it seems like he has made a good start at this.

4 hours ago, dantheman said:

What you in about? Smith had been moved to full back at that point. What about Rodney miss control...what about whiteheads half hearted challenge. If anything he’s more to blame than smithy. Lunacy

Frustrating that we have conceded again but the issue at the moment is not the defence it’s the 5/6 players in front of them who are incapable of creating anything to win a match. 

I am on about basic defending if he was moved to full back in a back four what was he doing in the middle on the edge of there penalty area when the move broke down i did see whitehead fall over but that is the  norm for him that is the problem we have to many below average players who cannot control a ball  and players who keep making the same mistakes all over the pitch every match we play. But saying that i am still confident that we will survive because there are at least 2 teams worse than us . 

Archived