onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Salford City v Port Vale

Fosse69

29 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Questions people should be asking .

Why are we so deep .

Why hasn't a striker scored for you yet .

On set pieces do you not have something different up your sleeve 

Why is your left back passing the ball to the opposition .

Why is your goalie kicking it long knowing that majority of the time its coming back 

Why are you so cagey in your set up to a game is it because you do not trust certain players 

Why did you leave Taylor on sat whenit was plain to see and I'm no manager that around the 65th minute he had run his course .

Why also have you not moved Rodney to the wing 

Not questions on Legge on are you happy with effort commitment etc they should be a given 

Why would you move our best player (and top goalscorer) to the wing?

Advert

1 minute ago, jjvale_03 said:

Well I think of you have viewed the last two games he as hardly being involved and if anything he his more dangerous out wide coming in than a target man as I ain't seen nothing especially last two home games where he as delivered ,much ado about nothing ,get him involved get him moving UTV 

54 minutes ago, jjvale_03 said:

I personally think Rodney is more suited to the wing, a lot of his goals aren’t ‘strikers’ goals. Think he would score just as many and be just; if not more dangerous out wide. Issue is we need someone else to play up top and we don’t have that at the minute. 

2 hours ago, Vale1995 said:

Got to say the quality of questions asked in clarkes interviews are shocking. They ask the same questions over and over again i can see why he would be a bit prickly with them. The guys questions who was on first yesterday were dreadful .

Yeah them first set of questions (don’t know who it isn’t interviewing) are dreadful. Quite embarrassing really. 

2 hours ago, valefan79 said:

I am slightly confused by this then, I know it does not take a lot.  As mentioned earlier, tried to purchase Salford game and Cheltenham matches in my normal way but this is not working currently on my laptop but I could get it work using my mobile, must be a problem with my laptop I reckon.  Now after reading through the thread, you can access the match through a Sky Bet account which I have.  Can I obtain my money back from I Follow as not too happy that this was not advertised.

Have you emailed them ? Ifolllow@efl.com give them a message and see. I might be wrong on this but I think they have a live chat during matchdays as well.

2 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

Questions people should be asking .

Why are we so deep .

Why hasn't a striker scored for you yet .

On set pieces do you not have something different up your sleeve 

Why is your left back passing the ball to the opposition .

Why is your goalie kicking it long knowing that majority of the time its coming back 

Why are you so cagey in your set up to a game is it because you do not trust certain players 

Why did you leave Taylor on sat whenit was plain to see and I'm no manager that around the 65th minute he had run his course .

Why also have you not moved Rodney to the wing 

Not questions on Legge on are you happy with effort commitment etc they should be a given 

I will have a pop at answering those:

Why are we so deep - This team was shipping goals left right and centre. The first Job as manager I wanted to implement was to become harder to beat. Its what Micky Adams did when he came in and it gives you a foundation to work on. Part of that is being more compact, reducing the pockets of space the opposition have. We are probably a little deeper than I would like, and that may be a confidence thing, but we have only conceded 2 in my 3 games and one of those was a worldie. That's a big turnaround and one I feel more comfortable we can build on.

Why hasn't a striker scored for you yet - Again, my starting hypothesis is that we need to be harder to beat which then gives us a chance to nick one. Defending and attacking are not jobs that different parts of a team focus on. Defending starts from the front and attacking starts from the back. By being more defensive we are foregoing a bit of attacking intent. Once I have the players defending the way I want and that's drilled into them, we may let the handbrake off a little. I feel for the strikers because the fans judge them on goals and nothing else. Those lads are working their socks off up front, closing down, winning headers, giving the defence an out ball. Fans sometimes don't see the importance of that side of their game

On set pieces do you not have something different up your sleeve - The games are coming thick and fast and Im drilling into the lads a new formation, a new style of play, new tactics... with footballers sometimes its best to be simple and not over complicate things. Watch my promotion season at Bristol rovers... we scored a lot of free kicks, we will work on the, its a good example of how we will build more attacking options on that foundation. 

Why is your left back passing the ball to the opposition - Do you think I told him to do that [chuckle]... look I have said a few times that the quality isnt there. Football is a simple game, even more so from the comfort of your armchair, running around on a tough pitch, with opponents closing you down... its not FIFA, technical skills can slip. Thats a confidence thing to. I want the quality to be better.

Why is your goalie kicking it long knowing that majority of the time its coming back - Back to the quality issue again. I have read the fans forums and the defenders got slated for trying to become Cruyff overnight. Legge got caught out a few times and in the time of high press, I don't want the lads playing it around at the back when that's not what they are used to or comfortable doing.

Why are you so cagey in your set up to a game is it because you do not trust certain players - Answered previously I think, I want us to be hard to beat first and foremost. But yes, these are a new set of lads and Im learning about them as we go. Lets make up an example ... I'm not going to tell James Gibbons to take players on and become the most attacking full back in league 2 overnight.. I don't know whether he can do it, I don't know whether the midfield and other defenders are aware enough to fill in the gap, I don't know whether he is fit enough with his injury to be able to do the up and down all game.  But Im learning, and hopefully what you are hearing from me is that we will add layers to our game as time goes on.

Why did you leave Taylor on sat when it was plain to see and I'm no manager that around the 65th minute he had run his course. - Have you seen our injury list? I had no other midfielders on the bench... at the 65th min mark I had Gibbo, Cullen, Brisley, Hurst, Scott and Swan to choose from. We were holding top of the league and we were doing ok and I thought changing the shape would be too disruptive. I thought it more important to freshen things up top. Look, we only got beaten by a worldie... Jake, arguably should have tracked back more... he knows it and I know it, but he is a good pro and he will learn from this. 

Why also have you not moved Rodney to the wing - Fundamentally because he is our top scorer and I believe, with my UEFA A badge, that that's the best place to utilise him in the tactics we currently going with. He sits on the shoulder of the last man and stops the opposition from pushing too far out.... it gives us a bit of space to try and play in.

4 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Why are we so deep - This team was shipping goals left right and centre. The first Job as manager I wanted to implement was to become harder to beat. Its what Micky Adams did when he came in and it gives you a foundation to work on. Part of that is being more compact, reducing the pockets of space the opposition have. We are probably a little deeper than I would like, and that may be a confidence thing, but we have only conceded 2 in my 3 games and one of those was a worldie. That's a big turnaround and one I feel more comfortable we can build on.

Why hasn't a striker scored for you yet - Again, my starting hypothesis is that we need to be harder to beat which then gives us a chance to nick one. Defending and attacking are not jobs that different parts of a team focus on. Defending starts from the front and attacking starts from the back. By being more defensive we are foregoing a bit of attacking intent. Once I have the players defending the way I want and that's drilled into them, we may let the handbrake off a little. I feel for the strikers because the fans judge them on goals and nothing else. Those lads are working their socks off up front, closing down, winning headers, giving the defence an out ball. Fans sometimes don't see the importance of that side of their game

On set pieces do you not have something different up your sleeve - The games are coming thick and fast and Im drilling into the lads a new formation, a new style of play, new tactics... with footballers sometimes its best to be simple and not over complicate things. Watch my promotion season at Bristol rovers... we scored a lot of free kicks, we will work on the, its a good example of how we will build more attacking options on that foundation. 

Why is your left back passing the ball to the opposition - Do you think I told him to do that [chuckle]... look I have said a few times that the quality isnt there. Football is a simple game, even more so from the comfort of your armchair, running around on a tough pitch, with opponents closing you down... its not FIFA, technical skills can slip. Thats a confidence thing to. I want the quality to be better.

Why is your goalie kicking it long knowing that majority of the time its coming back - Back to the quality issue again. I have read the fans forums and the defenders got slated for trying to become Cruyff overnight. Legge got caught out a few times and in the time of high press, I don't want the lads playing it around at the back when that's not what they are used to or comfortable doing.

Why are you so cagey in your set up to a game is it because you do not trust certain players - Answered previously I think, I want us to be hard to beat first and foremost. But yes, these are a new set of lads and Im learning about them as we go. Lets make up an example ... I'm not going to tell James Gibbons to take players on and become the most attacking full back in league 2 overnight.. I don't know whether he can do it, I don't know whether the midfield and other defenders are aware enough to fill in the gap, I don't know whether he is fit enough with his injury to be able to do the up and down all game.  But Im learning, and hopefully what you are hearing from me is that we will add layers to our game as time goes on.

Why did you leave Taylor on sat when it was plain to see and I'm no manager that around the 65th minute he had run his course. - Have you seen our injury list? I had no other midfielders on the bench... at the 65th min mark I had Gibbo, Cullen, Brisley, Hurst, Scott and Swan to choose from. We were holding top of the league and we were doing ok and I thought changing the shape would be too disruptive. I thought it more important to freshen things up top. Look, we only got beaten by a worldie... Jake, arguably should have tracked back more... he knows it and I know it, but he is a good pro and he will learn from this. 

Why also have you not moved Rodney to the wing - Fundamentally because he is our top scorer and I believe, with my UEFA A badge, that that's the best place to utilise him in the tactics we currently going with. He sits on the shoulder of the last man and stops the opposition from pushing too far out.... it gives us a bit of space to try and play in.

Cheers Darrell now get the team win for once UTV 

21 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Cheers Darrell now get the team win for once UTV 

Absolute genius... I hadn't thought of that.

I will tell you one thing... it would be a whole lots easier if those other b*ggers on the other side stopped trying to beat us at the same time!

🙂

UTV

53 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Can I ask you about Leons contract ? 😬

Sat to deep on Saturday for the last 20 as we tired. That's what led to the goal. DC knew we would so got all our 'strikers' on to hopefully counter hard and nick a goal.
As soon as we started sitting too deep I knew they would score.
Indifferent about tonight. I don't expect us to win so anything other than a loss is a bonus.

Archived