onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Salford City v Port Vale

Fosse69

Guest Vale at home
2 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

We have a poor selection of strikers agreed with none of them looking likely to score a bag full. But bearing this in mind surely 2 poor strikers are better and more likely to score than 1 poor striker ?

Well said. 

Advert

Guest Vale at home
6 hours ago, tommytunstall said:

You are correct with the front two, problem is nobody to come in who could improve us. That is possibly unfair to Swan who is largely unknown 

Yes I agree 

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

Amoo will be nowhere near and for me you cant drop Rodney mainly as he is the only one to create something out of nothing

Well I disagree I'm seeing nothing from him last 2 home games and in last away game he did very little ,in fact I'd say he is not a striker in a million years ,I'd rather us play Hurst up there or the big centre half from Huddersfield .

I think he will go with Cullen and Robinson personally I'd say they could be a deadly duo the fact I've never seen them play together while we go game to game with very few goes at goal opportunities means he is as to keep trying different duos until he find a pair who can work brilliantly together .

They possibly deserve there shot as does Swann deserve another crack ,let's not put all our hopes on a Salford reject who has only consistently played well in one half v Southend for weeks now in my opinion whether he gets a goal out of nothing or not a team should play as a team it's not about the individual talented as he occassionally is 

Well I disagree I'm seeing nothing from him last 2 home games and in last away game he did very little ,in fact I'd say he is not a striker in a million years ,I'd rather us play Hurst up there or the big centre half from Huddersfield .
I think he will go with Cullen and Robinson personally I'd say they could be a deadly duo the fact I've never seen them play together while we go game to game with very few goes at goal opportunities means he is as to keep trying different duos until he find a pair who can work brilliantly together .
They possibly deserve there shot as does Swann deserve another crack ,let's not put all our hopes on a Salford reject who has only consistently played well in one half v Southend for weeks now in my opinion whether he gets a goal out of nothing or not a team should play as a team it's not about the individual talented as he occassionally is 

You’re literally berating our top scorer

3 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

You’re literally berating our top scorer

No I'm just saying what I am seeing, big game this as all of them are we need to get a win from somewhere ,having watched 90 per cent of the games on ifollow I can categorically say that I want see more team play in the final third .

I know he is the top scorer but can we afford another no show from him when others must be chomping at the bit get there chance he as played with Guthrie twice and Swann once I've seen little to suggest he plays in harmony with either .

Clarke has to find a way get us scoring he as tightened us up at the back somewhat but if we do not score or find a combination who can ruffle a defence up too score or create then its 15 one nil defeats to come .

Team V Stevenage one lame effort on target v Cambridge in 90 mins one great chance but none for him if he is as good as you say he is then how come he  has not scored a goal out of nothing last two annoying home games .

I do like him but I have not enjoyed last two home performances ,he be played anyway well let's hope he delivers in a two or a one or whatever ,have some goal attempts play to win not 0-0 

15 hours ago, werstayinup said:

Amoo will be nowhere near and for me you cant drop Rodney mainly as he is the only one to create something out of nothing

and the incentive bump of being against his old team

1 hour ago, 1 said:

I have no idea why the Hudds CB is not playing, he tired a bit but looked good. I know the team have looked better at the back but still wobbly in parts

I might be totally wrong here. But he seemed to be hauled off after being beaten by a ball over the top at Orient which nearly led to a goal.

Clarke chose to sub him immediately for Legge maybe for experience.

I understand that but our other centre halves have been beaten by long balls on umpteen occasions this season.

Seemed to be scapegoated a touch and now not even on the bench. 

15 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

Can I just clarify, it seems like you are saying that our top scorer is "not a striker in a million years" and you would rather play an inexperienced centre half in his place?  That right?

14 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

Clarke has to find a way get us scoring he as tightened us up at the back somewhat

I think it's tricky. As a new manager he's come in and concentrated on the defence. I can't remember who said it, but someone said that's the first job of a new manager to stop conceding as many goals.

However, probably something has to give to allow for a tighter defence (in our case, a goal threat). Clarke has only just arrived through the door and has to work with someone else's players. So, I think it's a big ask to continue to be tight at the back AND be attacking upfront. Certainly within a matter of weeks. 

So, I think there may well be a period where we are better defensively but the attacking part isn't improved. So, it may well be we have to rely on picking up points with draws and hopefully more cleansheets may lead to the odd snatched 1-0 win. That may not be what fans want with the relegation a possibility and so on, but I don't think any manager can come in and simply wave a magic wand and sort out the team from front to back in one go. If we are to be more attacking then it may be that we become less secure defensively. 

I would love to be proven wrong, but I suspect we're in for a season of defensive, gritty football for the remainder of the season until the window opens and new players can be brought in. I think the theory there is that if Clarke can improve the overall quality then that's when the side can become better both defensively and attacking wise but at the moment, with the squad he has, he can only really do one or the other.

Guest Vale at home
2 hours ago, robf said:

I think it's tricky. As a new manager he's come in and concentrated on the defence. I can't remember who said it, but someone said that's the first job of a new manager to stop conceding as many goals.

However, probably something has to give to allow for a tighter defence (in our case, a goal threat). Clarke has only just arrived through the door and has to work with someone else's players. So, I think it's a big ask to continue to be tight at the back AND be attacking upfront. Certainly within a matter of weeks. 

So, I think there may well be a period where we are better defensively but the attacking part isn't improved. So, it may well be we have to rely on picking up points with draws and hopefully more cleansheets may lead to the odd snatched 1-0 win. That may not be what fans want with the relegation a possibility and so on, but I don't think any manager can come in and simply wave a magic wand and sort out the team from front to back in one go. If we are to be more attacking then it may be that we become less secure defensively. 

I would love to be proven wrong, but I suspect we're in for a season of defensive, gritty football for the remainder of the season until the window opens and new players can be brought in. I think the theory there is that if Clarke can improve the overall quality then that's when the side can become better both defensively and attacking wise but at the moment, with the squad he has, he can only really do one or the other.

2 hours ago, robf said:

He had to concentrate on defence, wouldnt bother be if we can drag out boring goalless draws and pinch 1-0's the only priority is to stop up and to be honest I dont care what supporters say, its results that matter.

3 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Can I just clarify, it seems like you are saying that our top scorer is "not a striker in a million years" and you would rather play an inexperienced centre half in his place?  That right?

Yes find a way score goals if Kevin Francis the bean pole could get on the end of things then why not a centre half turned striker, also they may head it down to the other striker if we doing long throws etc, you need players with height and strength to get on  the end of them he looked tall to me well find a use for him as the other day Mills put a ball in Foyle Naylor ,Lee Mills ,Ron Futcher ,Pope would have being on the end of where were our two strikers  I have no idea they play like they are scared of being hurt ,never see a ugly goal from any of them this season a get in there goal where they get hurt because they are so damn up for it and so motivated to score .

Question for you or anyone who doubts my post as anyone up front the last two home games done something you could say was remotely good ? 

You know the answer as I do NO .

Find a way play other folk ,try something different ,a goal will give us confidence ,play winners not players who are  HIDING and contributing very little and are getting us staring down the barrel of non league football if results do not improve ten fold 

UTV 

Archived