Jump to content

Best Vale 11 in your lifetime?


Recommended Posts

Advert:


  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw all the home games during the 1953/54 season and must agree with your assertion that it is the best Vale 11 that I have seen by some distance. The best 2 goal keepers, again by some distanc

Mehmet  Mills Geohagen Slater Jules Mbamba Whitehead Fraser  Barnett Perry Robinson     

My goodness, you have put a great amount of detail into that post. It’s fascinating to read, especially since you saw all those home games. That must have been really something to watch. Huge crowds ,

Mrs TW argued that Ray Walker was a great player, but would not fit in with her system which is based on a diamond. I won the lottery of life here.

Edited by toyahw
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Crikey.

It wasn’t an easy decision.

I could hear:

”ShallI I go Quigley? Oh no! I’ll go Pope”

”I like Amoo but I think Whitfield try’s hard” etc.

Even started discussing managers. Do I go Aspin?

You get the idea!

 

Edited by Diego Maradona

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


1 hour ago, toyahw said:

No Robbie Earle, Goober, Simon Simon, Beckford, Foyle, Ray Walker, van der Laan, Glover, Sproson, Tommy Mac, Beamish, Cullerton, Andy Jones, Gnomey, Ian Taylor, Gardner? Probably before your time. How we dream of players like that in these depressing days.

I'm no spring chicken but not that old!

I did see the likes of Van Der Laan, Bogie and Foyle play but as I was basically a kid I couldn't really appreciate at the time how good they were, so didn't choose them.

Edited by TylerB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Goodlad

Carragher 

Boom Boom

Pilkington 

S Collins

Jeno 

Bridge Wilkinson 

Cummings 

Loft 

Mcphee 

Pope

Subs. Neal, L Collins Leo,Sodje,whittaker,paynter , Brooker

I remember I started really supporting the vale in 2001 but didn't go to my first game until 2002 which means I would have missed the Naylor , guppy, Mccarthy glory days and instead got the kyle Perry, Ross Davidson and Danny Whitehead painful depressing and infuriating days. 

 

 

 

Edited by boslemportvale91
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started watching Vale in 92/93 when I was 7 years old. Let me just say that the first 11 would be all from our 2nd tier days, with no players after that 99/00 era getting in except perhaps Constantine on the bench. The standard compared to what we have seen in the past 10 years is just world’s away. Pope? You have to be kidding me, no where near as good as the likes of Foyle or Naylor. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Started watching Vale in 92/93 when I was 7 years old. Let me just say that the first 11 would be all from our 2nd tier days, with no players after that 99/00 era getting in except perhaps Constantine on the bench. The standard compared to what we have seen in the past 10 years is just world’s away. Pope? You have to be kidding me, no where near as good as the likes of Foyle or Naylor. 

Not even Bridge Wilkinson or Mcphee? 

Think thats slightly harsh on pope. While Taylor and Foyle are definitely two of the greatest strikers to ever Grace VP. Pope is the second highest goalscorer of all time. While the times have changed and the opposition may not have been that great. You can only play who's infront you. He deserves to be up there with the greats. 

Edited by boslemportvale91

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


1 minute ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Not even Bridge Wilkinson or Mcphee? 

For me, I thought Constantine was the better footballer as a goalscorer. I remember a dull 0-0 v Oldham in 2005/06 away I think, where he scored a winner with a cracking first touch out of nothing. At his best, Leon probably had the best first touch of any striker I had seen outside the prem. 

Foyle probably our best all round striker in my lifetime and Naylor had so much skill, he could create so many chances by himself. Cullen is similar to Naylor in theory, but lacks any creative ability to deliver that guilt edged finish from nothing. 

His work rate was not great but for us it never needed to be.

McPhee was great for that one promotion push season under Horton and Marc BW for me was a good all-rounder but lacked the magic that would have got him into a 2nd tier side at our best. 
 

What we have to remember is that most of the league 1 years, apart from the decent 1 under Horton were mainly mid table mediocre affairs that seemed to get less comfortable each year. We didn’t play particularly good football even then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

Mehmet 

Mills Geohagen Slater Jules

Mbamba Whitehead Fraser 

Barnett Perry Robinson 

 

 

Can't believe you missed out the legend himself Neil mackenzie and the unstoppable force known as Calvin Mac-Intosch

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TJHValiant said:

For me, I thought Constantine was the better footballer as a goalscorer. I remember a dull 0-0 v Oldham in 2005/06 away I think, where he scored a winner with a cracking first touch out of nothing. At his best, Leon probably had the best first touch of any striker I had seen outside the prem. 

Foyle probably our best all round striker in my lifetime and Naylor had so much skill, he could create so many chances by himself. Cullen is similar to Naylor in theory, but lacks any creative ability to deliver that guilt edged finish from nothing. 

His work rate was not great but for us it never needed to be.

McPhee was great for that one promotion push season under Horton and Marc BW for me was a good all-rounder but lacked the magic that would have got him into a 2nd tier side at our best. 
 

What we have to remember is that most of the league 1 years, apart from the decent 1 under Horton were mainly mid table mediocre affairs that seemed to get less comfortable each year. We didn’t play particularly good football even then. 

All fair points. Think I got unlucky when I really got into football and the Vale because that's where it started to go pear shaped. That pairing of Leo and Sodje should have got us up that season but it wasn't to be. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gosh...going back 58 years as a Vale fan, that's a difficult ask. GK for me would always be Mark Goodlad, even over Nev Southall - because he was OUR player, not a borrowed one; and head and shoulders over Mussy, who was a great shot-stopper and penalty-saver...but was so hesitant and uncommanding in the 6-yard box! Andy Hill I rated better than "honest" Matty Carragher, just because he showed that unflappability of the player who has played in higher Leagues. Aspin would be there, and I liked the elegant Marc Snijders. Robin van der Laan and Robbie Earle would be first choices, as would Nippy Naylor. The other positions to be filled have several candidates of equal worth. I would say, though, that the teams that beat Everton in the replay; that took Leeds to a replay, and were ahead of Arsenal, at one time, in the penalty shootout were the best performances I can remember us giving. I know this has been a cop-out...I have too many favourites I can't decide between...although I would try to make room for Steve Brooker - would love to have that worker in this team?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Not even Bridge Wilkinson or Mcphee? 

Think thats slightly harsh on pope. While Taylor and Foyle are definitely two of the greatest strikers to ever Grace VP. Pope is the second highest goalscorer of all time. While the times have changed and the opposition may not have been that great. You can only play who's infront you. He deserves to be up there with the greats. 

Deserving of legend status, but has scored most of his goals in league 2. People like foyle, naylor etc did it in the championship. I chose Andy Jones as he was my childhood hero, but I can see the argument that someone like naylor should be ahead of him. Bridge Wilkinson couldn’t touch someone like guppy in terms of quality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advert:


Just now, Andyregs said:

Deserving of legend status, but has scored most of his goals in league 2. People like foyle, naylor etc did it in the championship. I chose Andy Jones as he was my childhood hero, but I can see the argument that someone like naylor should be ahead of him. Bridge Wilkinson couldn’t touch someone like guppy in terms of quality. 

Absolutely. Dont me get me wrong , I'm not suggesting these players were ahead of the likes of Guppy and Co but for that time and period they were the best I had seen especially as this was when I really started to take interest in Vale. Taylor and Foyle who I do remember and would often get told stories from my late father who got me into football and got this Vale trend going. But I never really went to a game until early 2002 ? So I would have missed that golden generation.

In terms of Bridge Wilkinson maybe it's nostalgia kicking in but I thought he was brilliant in his day and was to clever for some of the other players. Sadly injuries kicked in and then he went to Stockport I believe before heading to the Ex Vale recluse known as Bradford 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me I started going vale late 90s so missed a lot of the vales best players. 
 

Mark Goodlad

Matt Carragher 

Michael Walsh

George Pilkington

Sam Collins 

Marc Bridge Wilkinson 

Micky Cummins

Jennison Myrie Williams 

Marc Richards

Stephen Mcphee

Tony Naylor

No idea what formation and there’s obviously better players but this is the best I can remember seeing. Walsh was class when he was fit to play. Nearly put sodje, mccombe and brooker in there as well

Edited by valiant_593
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

                                                              Ken Hancock             

                     Simon Mills            Tommy Cheadle        Dean Glover      Roy Sproson

                                             John Green                 Ray Walker

            John Rowland                          Andy Jones                 Tony  Naylor         Steve Guppy

subs;   Ray King   Bobby Thompson  Robbie Earle  Martin Foyle  Cliffe Portwood

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Moderators don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking (e.g. personal abuse) - use the orange report button above a post to alert them.

    If you can't get on with another forum user you can select the "ignore" option. Simply click on the link below, type in their username and save - Click here




×
×
  • Create New...