onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Best Vale 11 in your lifetime?

TylerB

Wow!
Someone obviously been going to Vale since at least the late 60s, and Bob Hazell & Chris Sulley make their best defence, ahead of P Sproson, Swan, Aspin, Gardner, Tankard, Hughes?! (and to top it off Kevin Kent , THAT'S Kevin Kent!, gets in the squad ahead of McCarthy and Ainsworth?!)
Triple Wow!
(....and that IS meant to be condescending, towards the Jedi Master of condescension!)
Just another point Kid, I haven't seen your best 11, only a very condescending post regarding a former Vale favourite.

Advert

After much deliberation and breaks my heart to leave some out here we go...

GK Grew RB Aspin CB Glover CB Sproson LB Tankard LW Guppy CM Walker CM Earle RW Ainsworth CF Naylor CF Beckford

Subs GK Alnwick, S Mills, I Taylor, Hazel,Pope(1st time), Foyle, 

I love committed players which is why Aspin, Sproson and Ainsworth are in the eleven as a balance to the silky skills of Glover, Walker and Guppy. Very difficult to pick the strikers with no place for Jones (1st stint), Futcher (loved him) or L Mills.

Gutted can't find a place for Darren Hughes in defence, Bogie,Van Der Laan or Kerr in midfield.

Mark Grew

Andy Hill

Allen Tankard

Neil Aspin 

Dean Glover

Jon Mccarthy

Steve Guppy

Robin Van Der Laan

Ian Bogie

Tony Naylor

Martin Foyle

Really spoilt for choice especially in midfield. I can’t believe I haven’t included Earle, Beckford, Slaven, Walker, Kerr, Ian Taylor, Andy Jones John Jeffers or Gareth Ainsworth. I would struggle to include any players in the last 20 years..........Maybe Bridge-Wilkinson. Matty Carragher, Michael Walsh and Steve Brooker  deserve a mention.

Gonna generally go for the oldies.

Ken Hancock

Selwyn Whalley  Roy Sproson  John Nicholson  John Ritchie

Mark Chamberlin Ray Walker John Green  Steve Guppy

Roy Chapman Tony Richards

Subs John Ridley, Tommy Cheadle, Robbie Earle, Ian Taylor, Bert Llewelyn, McCarthy, Foyle.

GK Mark Grew, those two saves v Watford in the cup, outstanding. He did this regularly in the league.

Darren Hughes - Scored on loan V Brighton, while on loan Brighton, now that's commitment.

Alan Tankard - Best left back, just ahead of Hughes.

Neil Aspin - Solid, played with a bent leg v Stoke for ten minutes before admitting he may be a bit knackered. Over ten years solid service.

Dean Glover - Classy centre half, could fill in at full back or defensive midfield. Scored a few too.

Robbie Earle - Anyone who scores in the high teens from midfield is a good player. Going on to play in the World Cup and Premier League for not the greatest teams but still stand shows how good he was.

Ray Walker - Tottenham, say no more. Controlled the midfield for years.

Ian Bogie - Another great play maker and always scored the goals in big games.

Steve Guppy - Could beat anybody on the wing and put the ball on a pin.

Tony Naylor - Short, nippy and really skillful. Had flair that you expect from a creative midfielder. One of shortest strikers ever but the I would say the most skillful.

Gareth Ainsworth - Such an impact in such a short spell. When he sold sold I felt like buying a Stoke flag and waving it outside Bill Bells garage in absolute protest at such a bad decision. This led to our downfall to where we are now. We never recovered from his sale.

Edit: Not a formation, just my best players.

A similar thread was posted on here about 10-15 years ago. It feels like a pee take now that we said in jest about Steggles, Villjanen, Koordes, Gary Hamstring...all of those would walk into this squad now, even they they are in their 50's 60's.

Best 11 for me .

1 Paul Musselwhite 

2 Matt Carragher 

3 Allen Tankard 

4 Ian Bogie 

5 John Mccombe 

6 Neil Aspin 

7 Gareth Ainsworth 

8 Andy Porter 

9 Tony Naylor 

10 Tom Pope 

11 Steve Guppy 

Subs

Goodlad Sandeman Van der Laan Taylor (ian )M Williams Foyle R Walker P Kerr D Worrall Montano 

On 28/02/2021 at 19:52, RailwayRowdy said:

Goodlad, Hill, Tankard, Aspin, Sproson (R), Guppy, Walker, Earle, Chamberlain (M), Jones, Naylor. 

No room for Horton (who was a top player by the way) Ainsworth, Gardner, Taylor who became regular top tier performers post Vale! 

I think the M in brackets after Chamberlain is superfluous. We know you don't mean Nev. 

1 hour ago, Breadwinner said:

Best 11 for me .

1 Paul Musselwhite 

2 Matt Carragher 

3 Allen Tankard 

4 Ian Bogie 

5 John Mccombe 

6 Neil Aspin 

7 Gareth Ainsworth 

8 Andy Porter 

9 Tony Naylor 

10 Tom Pope 

11 Steve Guppy 

Subs

Goodlad Sandeman Van der Laan Taylor (ian )M Williams Foyle R Walker P Kerr D Worrall Montano 

Good to see Monty in there to keep the physio's couch warm!👍😉

Its a bit like picking your Desert Island discs, changes with time

Nev Southall, in goal but not for long enough.

Simon Mills, hes got no hair but we dont care. Could pick a pass.

Tankard, no nonsense commitment

Super Swanny, always remember him running out against Sjoke. Scared the crap out of me and Im a Vale fan.

Sproey,  commanding at the back and good for a few goals.

Robbie Earle , goals from midfield . Master of the run into the box to score.

Ray Walker , cultured midfielder and not afraid to put his foot in.

Gareth Ainsworth on the wing, scored goals and  would run through brick walls.

Super John, almost went for Guppy who was  just as tricky and scored goals but without the grit and determination.

Tony , Tony Naylor. What he lacked in height he more than made up for in pure skill and goals.

Andy Jones, good old battering ram of a centre forward and his goal tally speaks for itself.

Many others considered, Tin Foyle, Aspin, Deano , Ian Taylor, Anthony Gardiner, Bogie, Popey, and on another day might have made my 11. 

Archived