onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Best Vale 11 in your lifetime?

TylerB

6 hours ago, TylerB said:

My Dad was really good mates with him and also his brother as a kid as they grew up together. He used to rave about him, how quick and skillful he was, but as a kid/teen I had no idea who he was other than he played for Vale and also England.

Thinking about it, is he any relation to Alex Oxlade? :classic_ohmy:

He was, by some distance, the best attacking player I've seen at Vale. His last season no fullback could touch him. Better player than his son until his hamstring problems in his 3rd season at Stoke. Never quite the same player thereafter. 

Advert

Jim Arnold (Southall was the best but only on loan)

Mills

Gardner

Aspin

Hughes

Earle

Walker

Taylor

Chamberlain 

Foyle

Guppy

Bench Goodlad,  Glover, Tankard, Brammer, McCarthy, Naylor, Andy Jones

Change Brammer for Horton

1 hour ago, Eddie Ford said:

Paul Musslewhite

Simon Mills

Peter Swan

Dean Glover

Allan Tankard

Jon McCarthy

Robbie Earle

Ian Taylor

Steve Guppy

Martin Foyle

Andy Jones

Subs:

Darren Beckford

Gareth Ainsworth

Neil Aspin

Tony Naylor

Ray Walker

Mark Goodlad 

Great squad Eddie.

8 hours ago, TylerB said:

My Dad was really good mates with him and also his brother as a kid as they grew up together. He used to rave about him, how quick and skillful he was, but as a kid/teen I had no idea who he was other than he played for Vale and also England.

Thinking about it, is he any relation to Alex Oxlade? :classic_ohmy:

Yes, Mark Chambo is Alex Oxlades Dad.

The reason Chambo wasn't in my team was because it was the bottom division. 

He improved hugely at Stoke eventually getting England caps and a move to bigger club. 

He was a superb player but my choices did it week in week out in The Championship. Otherwise I'd of had Chambo.

I wasn't there as too young but believe he had a cheeky goal away at Mansfield where he sneaked on the pitch ? 

6 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

The reason Chambo wasn't in my team was because it was the bottom division. 

He improved hugely at Stoke eventually getting England caps and a move to bigger club. 

He was a superb player but my choices did it week in week out in The Championship. Otherwise I'd of had Chambo.

I wasn't there as too young but believe he had a cheeky goal away at Mansfield where he sneaked on the pitch ? 

He played 6 times for Stoke before getting a cap. 

I honestly dont think i can pick as we have had so many fantastic players in my time,i could easily pick about 6 strikers.. Jones,Beckford,Foyle,Futcher,Naylor,Cross(more of a number 10),Lee Matthews during the few games he played was different class

Missed off the likes of Brooker,Mills,McPhee and Constantine(who was decent in both areas)

3 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

Mark goodlad

Matt carragher rip

Allen tankard 

Neil aspin 

Anthony gardner 

Jan jansson 

John mccarthy 

Ian Taylor 

Martin foyle 

Tony naylor 

Steve guppy 

Subs 

Paul musclewhite, Michael Walsh, Dean glover, Andy porter, Gareth ainsworth, Lee Mills, robin van der laan 

It's little wonder that this 'thread' is proving so popular. When we remember the players that have worn the white shirt like those in your team Andy. When I see those names again, I don't know whether to smile or cry, so comfortably good were they playing at Championship level. I really hope that those days return, especially for the Vale supporter of twenty years or less. Just the players on your bench Andy would give our present First Team a game, and there's only seven of them. 

1 hour ago, Birches Head Fred said:

I'm sure I've done this before and I doubt this will be the same 12 but here goes

M.Grew
A.Hill
R. Hazell
D. Glover
C. Sulley
M. Chamberlain
R. Earle
J. Green
D. Beckford
M Foyle
S. Guppy
Subs
Musselwhite
Kent
Van der Lean
Ian Taylor
Constantine

Left out many great players and some favourites too emoji26.png

Wow!

Someone obviously been going to Vale since at least the late 60s, and Bob Hazell & Chris Sulley make their best defence, ahead of P Sproson, Swan, Aspin, Gardner, Tankard, Hughes?! (and to top it off Kevin Kent 😲, THAT'S Kevin Kent!, gets in the squad ahead of McCarthy and Ainsworth?!)

Triple Wow!

(....and that IS meant to be condescending, towards the Jedi Master of condescension!)

Wow!
Someone obviously been going to Vale since at least the late 60s, and Bob Hazell & Chris Sulley make their best defence, ahead of P Sproson, Swan, Aspin, Gardner, Tankard, Hughes?! (and to top it off Kevin Kent , THAT'S Kevin Kent!, gets in the squad ahead of McCarthy and Ainsworth?!)
Triple Wow!
(....and that IS meant to be condescending, towards the Jedi Master of condescension!)
Like I said, I've missed out many great players. Not only those you mention but others who I would willingly put in but I had to pick 11 plus subs.
No Ernie Moss (My all-time favourite Vale player), no Andy Jones, no Andy Porter, no 'Bearded Giant' Ron Wilson, no Tony Naylor, no Ray Walker, no Tommy Mac or Bob Newton.....the list just goes on and on.
It's my choice and that's part and parcel of what makes being a supporter and threads like this so entertaining.
As for Kent in particular I chose him as I thought he was versatile and one of Rudgies vital 'unsung heroes'.

Archived