onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Best Vale 11 in your lifetime?

TylerB

Advert

3 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

The wife’s being going to watch Vale regularly over the last couple of seasons. Here is her ‘best 11’ in her ‘lifetime as a Vale fan’. She’s going 442. Brace yourselves:

Brown

Gibbo

Legge

Smith

Monty

Taylor

Conlon

Wozza

Amoo

Pope

Cullen

Oops.

1 hour ago, toyahw said:

No Robbie Earle, Goober, Simon Simon, Beckford, Foyle, Ray Walker, van der Laan, Glover, Sproson, Tommy Mac, Beamish, Cullerton, Andy Jones, Gnomey, Ian Taylor, Gardner? Probably before your time. How we dream of players like that in these depressing days.

I'm no spring chicken but not that old!

I did see the likes of Van Der Laan, Bogie and Foyle play but as I was basically a kid I couldn't really appreciate at the time how good they were, so didn't choose them.

Goodlad

Carragher 

Boom Boom

Pilkington 

S Collins

Jeno 

Bridge Wilkinson 

Cummings 

Loft 

Mcphee 

Pope

Subs. Neal, L Collins Leo,Sodje,whittaker,paynter , Brooker

I remember I started really supporting the vale in 2001 but didn't go to my first game until 2002 which means I would have missed the Naylor , guppy, Mccarthy glory days and instead got the kyle Perry, Ross Davidson and Danny Whitehead painful depressing and infuriating days. 

Started watching Vale in 92/93 when I was 7 years old. Let me just say that the first 11 would be all from our 2nd tier days, with no players after that 99/00 era getting in except perhaps Constantine on the bench. The standard compared to what we have seen in the past 10 years is just world’s away. Pope? You have to be kidding me, no where near as good as the likes of Foyle or Naylor. 

19 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Started watching Vale in 92/93 when I was 7 years old. Let me just say that the first 11 would be all from our 2nd tier days, with no players after that 99/00 era getting in except perhaps Constantine on the bench. The standard compared to what we have seen in the past 10 years is just world’s away. Pope? You have to be kidding me, no where near as good as the likes of Foyle or Naylor. 

Not even Bridge Wilkinson or Mcphee? 

Think thats slightly harsh on pope. While Taylor and Foyle are definitely two of the greatest strikers to ever Grace VP. Pope is the second highest goalscorer of all time. While the times have changed and the opposition may not have been that great. You can only play who's infront you. He deserves to be up there with the greats. 

1 minute ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Not even Bridge Wilkinson or Mcphee? 

For me, I thought Constantine was the better footballer as a goalscorer. I remember a dull 0-0 v Oldham in 2005/06 away I think, where he scored a winner with a cracking first touch out of nothing. At his best, Leon probably had the best first touch of any striker I had seen outside the prem. 

Foyle probably our best all round striker in my lifetime and Naylor had so much skill, he could create so many chances by himself. Cullen is similar to Naylor in theory, but lacks any creative ability to deliver that guilt edged finish from nothing. 

His work rate was not great but for us it never needed to be.

McPhee was great for that one promotion push season under Horton and Marc BW for me was a good all-rounder but lacked the magic that would have got him into a 2nd tier side at our best. 

What we have to remember is that most of the league 1 years, apart from the decent 1 under Horton were mainly mid table mediocre affairs that seemed to get less comfortable each year. We didn’t play particularly good football even then. 

Archived