Retained list

58 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Tom Pope hasn't had the best of seasons, he didn't get off to the best start viz Twitter then got injured by the cowardly challenge at Sunderland but when he has played he's shown he is still among the best leaders of the line in Lge 2, knows where the net is and some of the best testimonies to the current Tom Pope as a footballer have been by commentators of other teams on iFollow. He still has at least one good season left in him.

To be honest Saturday reaffirmed to me why he was not worth another contract along with our other 30 somethings Joyce and Browny.

Edited by MBE
  • Like 2

Advert:

10 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

I know we are in to backing DC but am not sure re Dutton. Didn’t work out great for them at Walsall so he’s not for me. 

Dutton hasn't arrived so I don't know where this link has come from.

But if he does, he could be one of those brilliant coaches that can't manage.

Steve Holland was a flop managing Crewe, now he's coaching the England first team.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A majority of players don't play effectively in their mid 30s plus. They offer no resale value and you run the risk of injuries and physical decline as they eat into valuable wages that could be spent on a younger player who could develop and make the club money.

But plenty do. It's important to have a blend of experience and younger players. 

Thankfully, I'll defer to Clarke + Flitcroft's decision on this instead of the commentary teams of other teams on iFollow.

We don't have any choice.  Given Walsall's final Lge position the squad of players recruited by DC et al at Walsall didn't do so well, granted DF was not involved. 

Pope's a legend but we can't just definitively state he had 'one more good season in him', when he's not had very prolific seasons for the last two years. 

You can't definitively state Tom Pope has not got one good season left in him either just as we can't definitively state all or even most of the new players to be bought in will perform as well or better than some of those released or even improve the starting 11. 

Popey would likely have got to double figures in league goals in the 2019/20 season if it were not for Covid.

Let's see who DC/DF bring in and judge where Vale are in November.

Understand the arguments about stability etc.

Stability comes from longer term planning, a balanced squad age-wise to begin with that we didn't have, so we're having to bite the bullet now. We're in a situation where we're having to renew the backbone of an ageing side all in one go because we put it off for a couple of summers and chose to tinker around the edges with squad players instead.

• Like 2

Advert:

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

But if you are a League Two club you will struggle to fill your squad with League One players. 

Not always, but yes you’re right players want to play at the highest level they can. I’d argue the top 6 of league 2 would easily compete in league 1. The gap in our division seems to be that the lower end teams are non-league standard.

We have had too many non league players for too long. Manny, despite all his plaudits was ultimately a top conference player as he is showing for Chesterfield. 

We have forgotten what a good, solid league 1 team looks like and I hope DC will remind us. 

10 minutes ago, MBE said:

To be honest Saturday reaffirmed to me why he was not worth another contract along with our other 30 somethings Joyce and Browny.

MBE, Based on Saturday's performance all of them should be let go/paid off, it was as bad if not the worst performance of the season and a result of team selection and meeting a Mansfield team whom it wouldn't surprise me are up there next season.

1 minute ago, Paul6754 said:

MBE, Based on Saturday's performance all of them should be let go/paid off, it was as bad if not the worst performance of the season and a result of team selection and meeting a Mansfield team whom it wouldn't surprise me are up there next season.

They have mate , 7 of the starting X1 are gone 

• Like 1

Advert:

1 hour ago, jjvale_03 said:

I'll have forgotten about Joyce in 2 days time, and Brown in about a week. The same as Chris Lines, Anthony Grant, Chris Neal and Jak Alnwick before them (who all played at a higher level for the club).

No need to worry,it's probably an age thing?😃

• Confused 1

Over the years, Tom Pope has been the one player that has always given us a chance,  whoever we have played,  but for the last two and a half years it's been clear that successful teams need more than a largely static target man who is frozen out of any game where service isn't delivered on a plate. The point being, how many of Tom's goals have solely been created by himself? 

Compare that to the usual stocky, quick forwards that have caused us misery and we can see how the game, even at our level, has changed and why, though not even being close to the finished article,  Devante is always going to be more effective than a Tom type of player, by having the ability to create something out of nothing.

However, Tom deserves to be recognised for the immense contribution that he has given to Port Vale and will never be forgotten and I would have loved seeing him have the opportunity to play against a proper Stoke team at his peak and watching him ram it up them sideways.

Thank you Tom, forever a Vale legend 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Putting a lot of faith in a manager who has achieved one relegation and one promotion from League 2 5 years ago. 

His first game in charge was in March , you surely aren't attributing relegation to him ? 

8 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Putting a lot of faith in a manager who has achieved one relegation and one promotion from League 2 5 years ago. 

And a Director of Football, also with a promotion and a top 4 finish at this level, who will be having a large say in recruitment. 

The relegation you refer to was when he took over in March and managed 8 games. He then took them to back to back promotions and 9th in League 1, adding on to 2 promotions he got at Salisbury.

Your agenda against Clarke is a bit strange. He got 4 promotions in a decade and you feel compelled to mention an 8 game spell, which he quickly rectified and surpassed. Be consistent. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Advert:

3 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Give it a rest with the constant moaning, how many clubs have got managers with multiple promotions on their CV, Cambridge and Cheltenham have gone up with young managers without success before this season, Derek Adams had 1 promotion in the football league.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I think people overestimate Pope’s current ability. I’m sad to see him go, but it’s the right decision. He’s scored 3 in 23 games this season, and from watching him play, bar Grimsby at home (or was it Southend? Can’t remember which), he’s been pretty poor all season. Add to that he’s probably on a decent wage then it’s not worth it.

• Like 1