10 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Why would he be told on Saturday? DC has said all along that his players would be told on Monday.

Ask Micky Adam's about Malbon and his passport?

Never said I agreed with what Malbon said. Just mentioning that he said it. 

I agree there was no reason for him to be told on Saturday. 

• Thanks 1

Advert:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Smith played 46 league games for us in L1, in a season where if Norman hadn't flogged two of our best players, we would have stayed up. Despite one bonkers and one useless manager., and an acid fuelle

My opinion on this is that what has happened today is what many have been crying out for in an age.  Since Adams left we have promoted from within apart from the Bruno experiment. How many of us

Very sad for Scott Brown and Luke Joyce. They go with my thanks for their efforts. Losing Tom Pope is equally sad but that’s the right decision. 

Posted Images

Massively shocked about Brown.  If we can find a better league 2 keeper than him I would be hugely surprised.  The rest you can't argue with too much apart from maybe Brisley and Montano.  I would have give Tom another year but I suppose there's no sentiment.  Clarke has piled a huge amount of pressure on himself and Flitcroft to replace and replace them to a better standard.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Brown is a top bloke and was excellent in keeping us up two seasons, but I think a narrative took hold about him being 'the best in League 2'/'we are lucky to have him' which is objectively no longer the case and was never grounded in evidence.

He is decent for this level, and declining with every season.

Clarke has started every game with him and, with 4 promotions under his belt (including one at this level) has assessed he probably isn't good enough to be a promotion-winning keeper anymore.

Think of Chris Neal in the year we went up; he was a fair bit more solid than Brown has been next year. Certainly less unforced errors (one where it went through his legs) and much more well-rounded when it came to catching crosses.

The risk with Brown is you extend him, he declines further as he hits 37, and then promotion is finished, as no one goes up with a dodgy keeper. This is the financially sensible decision; put £1500 a week into a clearly declining asset, or invest the same money in one who is in the ascendancy/at their peak?

I wish Brown the best as he has been a good keeper, but I do think is completely replacable.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 3

I did say they will all be going and tbh i expect in the next couple of days they will announce who under contract have been told they can leave if they get a club

I cant see DC wanting Burgess,Whitehead or Amoo

Advert:

5 hours ago, philmpv said:

I wonder whether a number of players will also be transfer listed today, as well as players being released? I'm thinking of the likes of Amoo, Robinson, Whitehead and possibly Burgess

Theo is a strange one as i think DC does like him but is he the kind of forward he wants.... one thing his for sure DC has shown he has the gonnads to do what has to be done,surely those coming in will be better

Now that we have huge scope for recruitment, it'll be interesting to see whether the DOF model can give us an advantage at this level. If we can recruit much better than other clubs in our league, you could argue that it has. DF has, in theory, had a solid 4 months to identify potential signings, find out their contract status availability and interest, scout them thoroughly and, finally, do the likely sums. If we get a lot of signings done early, that would suggest to me that they have been identified and pursued for some time. We can only wait and see! Exciting times

• Like 1

A lot of people saying Brown, Smith, Montano are excellent league 2 players...that’s right but if we have excellent league 2 players we will remain in league 2. We need better. 

• Like 4

Just now, TJHValiant said:

A lot of people saying Brown, Smith, Montano are excellent league 2 players...that’s right but if we have excellent league 2 players we will remain in league 2. We need better. 

These excellent League 2 players have us facing a 5th season in this division. Time to move on and rebuild.

• Like 5

Advert:

These excellent League 2 players have us facing a 5th season in this division. Time to move on and rebuild.
Spot on. Sign 'league 2 quality players' (which a lot of people cry out for every summer) and that's exactly what you will get. Conlon is being touted now as a L1 player. Who would have thought that when he came in? Take a chance on younger players, give them TIME to develop, and we will reap the benefits.
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

But if you are a League Two club you will struggle to fill your squad with League One players. 

• Like 1

If Dutton is coming, does that mean that we lose the services of Crosby. I might be missing something but why the excitement of Clarke&Dutton. Yes they were successful at Bristol Rovers but that was over five years ago. Please let me know if I’m missing something, thanks
What's the obsession with Dutton, didn't DC say he wanted to work with new people
  • Like 1

It would cost Carole a fortune if any of the contracted players had their contracts paid up. We have to assume this won't happen, & it will be Clarke's job to try & turn them into decent league 2 players for next season.

1 minute ago, Jacko51 said:

Made me cry that, Doha. 

He'll be back eventually with the youth set I reckon. If you had a kid training at Vale who would you rather teach them to read the game and finish a header than Tom Pope? 

• Like 1

Advert:

2 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Wouldn't surprise me to see him end up at Hanley Town with Dodds and Dickinson!

He will end up at an upper end National league team on a 2yr deal,maybe like a notts county

2 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

I see Malbon isnt impressed with the ways in which Clarke has dealt with releasing pope. (On Twitter) says pope didn’t know on Saturday and should have been given a better send off. 

Pope knew and the club will do something for him..... whats it got do with Malbon anyway?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Doha said:

He'll be back eventually with the youth set I reckon. If you had a kid training at Vale who would you rather teach them to read the game and finish a header than Tom Pope? 

Thought that heading was banned up to a certain age nowadays?

He'll have to teach them how to tweet instead! 😄

• Like 1