Retained list

14 minutes ago, JRC said:

In reality it means either:

1 paying them all the remainder of their salary as a lump sum

Or

2 making the salary up at the next club

Either way its expensive. Salford pay some of Whitehead's salary I believe.

That’s the problem in a nutshell. I’d rather have Robinson as a third choice for 6 months than pay him to leave for doing nothing . 

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Very sad for Scott Brown and Luke Joyce. They go with my thanks for their efforts. Losing Tom Pope is equally sad but that’s the right decision. 

Decision probably made on age and mistakes made by Brownie and Joycey this season.Not really surprised by Popey going but as you say it's all very sad and all three will be remembered for their time at Vale Park.All the best for the future to all those players who have been released.

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

I see your point but isn't this the life of a football player ? 

For example look at Cullen, he's had loads of clubs. Not many will be stacking shelves at Asda in a couple of weeks. Yes they might drop down the pyramid but it's slightly different to losing your job on a factory and having to search for a job doing literally anything. 

Clarke himself could be on the rock and roll if it goes belly up. Harsh as I sound , this is football. 

Example Doddsy, Vale, Chorley, Hanley Town. He's still getting paid for kicking a ball around .

Agreed 100% It is tough for players atm, but I am sure the Vale will help out with contacts in the game etc. Unfortunately we cant all be a Cavani who everyone wants and TP will hopefully show his legacy. Age catches up with us all and that is why we need a rebuild. Regards to the younger players, they still have time to prove a point. It was about time this happened. When JR was manager, he knew that any decent player would be sold, for a profit and mostly he was able to get a replacement to improve. Up to DC and DF now to do similar

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1 said:

Surely if Vale paid say 4-6 months up front, then they got fixed up elsewhere with a new 2 year contract, that would be a viable option to them.

Players don't move until they are either fixed up or been paid in full. Its a brutal business and they have a guaranteed income for the length of their contract. As Aspin found out players are happy to come in, train alone and get paid. There are absolutely no guarantees any player at our level will get a new contract, so they are both entitled and should be given what is agreed. Robinson must be on 100 grand a year .... why would he take 40 grand and risk being unemployed? He refused to look for a new club in January; so there is no reason to suppose he will do now. We are pretty much the club on his doorstep and he hasn't had a great season so clubs aren't lining up to sign him.

Certainly a bigger list than I anticipated, Scott Brown was the main shock for me, but I can only assume that DC has got replacements already lined up and at least the fans are going to have the opportunity to say goodbye to Popey next season as we did after Hughesy left us, he came out of the tunnel at half time to say goodbye to the fans..... 

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Screenshot_20210510-140319.png

Didn't their owner talk about him, like he was the next big thing, even overtaking sliced bread? He had mentored him and yada yada, and now he fires him? Walsall really are becoming a bit of a joke

Edited by Danish Valiant
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

I'm surprised he wants build a team around Smith he is one I want paying up and gone yes he excelled alongside Brisley and Legge but in them 3 months and sat he was abject when it was time for show he could lead he did naff all apart from let Mansfield players run past him all game .

Get him gone the other 3 I do not mind them but if Brisleys gone then Smith should be shown the door too .

How many years has he being at the club ,how many defeats has he being involved in ,yes he is young but come on we need better than him in my opinion 

Are you crazy, nathan smith since clarke has come in shown what a great player he is at this level. Youve clearly got a agenda against him. Slate him at every given chance yes he was poor in that run we had but put sergio ramos in that defence and he would struggle. 

nathan smith is a very good league 2 centre half and you are deluded and no nothing about football if you think otherwise to say hes not good enough is beyond stupid 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I see your point but isn't this the life of a football player ? 

For example look at Cullen, he's had loads of clubs. Not many will be stacking shelves at Asda in a couple of weeks. Yes they might drop down the pyramid but it's slightly different to losing your job on a factory and having to search for a job doing literally anything. 

Clarke himself could be on the rock and roll if it goes belly up. Harsh as I sound , this is football. 

Example Doddsy, Vale, Chorley, Hanley Town. He's still getting paid for kicking a ball around .

It was aimed more towards the extreme reactions to the retain list rather than a general "lets feel sorry for the ex Vale players". Football is a cut throat business as it is without people jumping for joy because someone has lost their job. That was my point, but that being said, its very exciting and I'm confident there is a detailed plan who they are looking to bring in over the summer. This is not Bruno v2.0. 

• Like 1

From the Sentinel article

Clarke’s done it before. He released 12 players when Bristol Rovers were relegated from the Football League in 2014, rebuilt the team and took them to back-to-back promotions.

🎵 One two three four
Darrell Clarke
He hates media questions
Darrell Clarke
Being puddleds the intention
Darrell Clarke
He's going bite your fćking nose off
ONE TWO THREE FOUR.. 🎵

• Haha 1

Wow.  Let the rebuild commence, if not already started in the background.  Not too surprised with the list tho - DC sounded mightily t'd off in the after match interview on saturday, like he wanted to tell certain players they were off and what he thought of them.  

Thought Brown might have been offered a 1 yr contract - probably reduced terms.  Pope - may have been a 1 yr contract again on reduced terms and a coaching role with the younger players.

Good luck to those released and please don't score against us if you play against us in the coming seasons.

52 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I see Malbon isnt impressed with the ways in which Clarke has dealt with releasing pope. (On Twitter) says pope didn’t know on Saturday and should have been given a better send off. 

Why would he be told on Saturday? DC has said all along that his players would be told on Monday.

Ask Micky Adam's about Malbon and his passport?

• Like 1

If Dutton is coming, does that mean that we lose the services of Crosby. I might be missing something but why the excitement of Clarke&Dutton. Yes they were successful at Bristol Rovers but that was over five years ago. Please let me know if I’m missing something, thanks