Retained list

11 hours ago, valiant_593 said:

I think he will stay. Clarke mentions a balance of ages, I think legge will get another year with us and be used more sparingly and not thrown under the bus by askey making him play every minute of every match 

I thought it was pretty much certain that Legge had triggered another year contract extension when Clarke arrived and started picking him again - it certainly sounds like he's staying going from his interview in yesterday's programme.

1 minute ago, pete vale said:

We'd have been in non league 5 years ago without Tom!!

I agree with that and yes he has scored some very important goals for us BUT sadly for me his time has now come to move on,i do however hope that he returns to club in some capacity in the future

12 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I agree with that and yes he has scored some very important goals for us BUT sadly for me his time has now come to move on,i do however hope that he returns to club in some capacity in the future

Well said, agree. Lost a lot of fitness and sharpness, could put the grat in for another "Go" maybe one season.

He will know himself. Love to see him back at Vale. Remember he has been there much longer and witnessed many more highs and lows than our new gaffer and stood the test of time. deserves reward and recognition for his efforts big-time. "Feed the Pope and he WILL score""!!!

1 minute ago, pete vale said:

Well said, agree. Lost a lot of fitness and sharpness, could put the grat in for another "Go" maybe one season.

He will know himself. Love to see him back at Vale. Remember he has been there much longer and witnessed many more highs and lows than our new gaffer and stood the test of time. deserves reward and recognition for his efforts big-time. "Feed the Pope and he WILL score""!!!

He’s had the recognition of being a club legend but that Doesn’t just automatically warrant giving him a new deal when he is no longer at the right level. It be a massive backwards step for us to give him a 2 year deal now. He’s past his best, would be 4th choice and commands a high wage. I wouldn’t mind him staying for 1 season with a reduce in wage (and a coach?) but I can’t see that happening and he will have offers from non league for 2 years. Clarke wants players who are ‘fit’ and have football ‘lifestyles’ not sometime popey really has. 

Look, he’s been a legend and he’s been brilliant for this club. Everyone knows that but there comes a time where it’s best for all to move on and this is that time. 

Well we certainly got confirmation yesterday on a few players ineptitude including: McKirdy, Burgess, Olagungu, Swann, Hurst all aren’t good enough for this level never mind L1.

Add to that the fact Old Father Time has caught up with Brisley, Popey, Brown, Legge and Joyce plus other bit part players not being good enough - Whitehead, Fitzpatrick, Mills, Robinson, Cullen - and Clarke has a serious rebuilding job on. Let’s hope we recruit quality over quantity for a change.

I really hope the club can find something to reward a decade of fantastic service given by Popey as he deserves it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

He’s had the recognition of being a club legend but that Doesn’t just automatically warrant giving him a new deal when he is no longer at the right level. It be a massive backwards step for us to give him a 2 year deal now. He’s past his best, would be 4th choice and commands a high wage. I wouldn’t mind him staying for 1 season with a reduce in wage (and a coach?) but I can’t see that happening and he will have offers from non league for 2 years. Clarke wants players who are ‘fit’ and have football ‘lifestyles’ not sometime popey really has. 

Look, he’s been a legend and he’s been brilliant for this club. Everyone knows that but there comes a time where it’s best for all to move on and this is that time. 

I know, I'm a sentimental fool but in all honesty blokes like Tom will be "Vale" long after "Dazzler" has gone. I'd love a one year deal for him, reduced terms but get him on the staff. Another league 2 or national League team will offer him something for sure though. Here's to the future - I said that last year!!! Like I keep saying:- It's VALE - expect the unexpected!! UTV

• Like 1

There’s no way we should be offering someone like Pope a 2 year deal. Not at his age. Clearly it’s up to the manager if he thinks he still has something to offer us next season. I still think he has as a bit part player.  It was very interesting hearing the managers comments yesterday about the type of characters he wants in his squad and he singled out Conlon, Smith and Gibbo as the examples of players who do the right things in training,  have the right mentality, application and the desire to improve. All homegrown lads too. 

29 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

I thought it was pretty much certain that Legge had triggered another year contract extension when Clarke arrived and started picking him again - it certainly sounds like he's staying going from his interview in yesterday's programme.

I think he will be staying another year BUT i do remember DC saying it was well known about Legge's clause and why he wasn't being picked but he had spoken in private to him and what was said will remain private,he then started to pick him so who knows what was agreed then

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

Well we certainly got confirmation yesterday on a few players ineptitude including: McKirdy, Burgess, Olagungu, Swann, Hurst all aren’t good enough for this level never mind L1.

Add to that the fact Old Father Time has caught up with Brisley, Popey, Brown, Legge and Joyce plus other bit part players not being good enough - Whitehead, Fitzpatrick, Mills, Robinson, Cullen - and Clarke has a serious rebuilding job on. Let’s hope we recruit quality over quantity for a change.

I really hope the club can find something to reward a decade of fantastic service given by Popey as he deserves it.

Hurst has just been given a new contract though by a Clarke. The loan players will just go back anyway.  I agree on the majority you mention though and I’m tempted to think that Joyce could be offered something but we’ll get in another, younger, holding midfielder. I think Brisley could be the centre half to miss out as well. I’m also of the mind that Monty will go as well.  We’ve got players with another year to go on their deals that could be made available too, like Amoo, Robinson and Whitehead. 

Edited by PV1973

32 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Hurst has just been given a new contract though by a Clarke. The loan players will just go back anyway.  I agree on the majority you mention though and I’m tempted to think that Joyce could be offered something but we’ll get in another, younger, holding midfielder. I think Brisley could be the centre half to miss out as well. I’m also of the mind that Monty will go as well.  We’ve got players with another year to go on their deals that could be made available too, like Amoo, Robinson and Whitehead. 

Just because someone has a year left on their contract doesn’t mean they are guaranteed to stay. At this level the contracts are huge so if the Manager tells you that you ain’t part of his plans it makes no sense to hang around not playing games.

As for Hurst, like Taylor and Burgess he just hasn’t pushed on enough for me but Clarke sees him in training and I don’t.

For me pope has to go. Wonderful servent to the club and will forever be a legend. But is he a striker to mount a promotion push next year the answer is no. We need to move away from the pope era if the club and start working on replacing him. I believe clarke will want to get rid aswel

13 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

As for Hurst, like Taylor and Burgess he just hasn’t pushed on enough for me but Clarke sees him in training and I don’t.

Gosh, I think that's incredibly harsh. "Hasn't pushed on enough" - he made his league debut in DECEMBER! I would say he's done a lot of "pushing on" this season - going from outside of the squad to a regular squad member for a start and I would expect a rookie to be somewhat inconsistent as he adapts to a new level. 

I would imagine next season will be the time we will expect him to push on, not after just thirteen League starts.

I thought he did OK on Saturday (he did hit the bar with a screamer) and there were others who had far worse games than him - and those performances came from players who have far more League experience than him too.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, robf said:

Gosh, I think that's incredibly harsh. "Hasn't pushed on enough" - he made his league debut in DECEMBER! I would say he's done a lot of "pushing on" this season - going from outside of the squad to a regular squad member for a start and I would expect a rookie to be somewhat inconsistent as he adapts to a new level. 

I would imagine next season will be the time we will expect him to push on, not after just thirteen League starts.

I thought he did OK on Saturday (he did hit the bar with a screamer) and there were others who had far worse games than him - and those performances came from players who have far more League experience than him too.

I dont really agree with you here, yes his effort is there not denying that dont think hes anywhere near the level to be near the first team at the moment if were looking to go up. He needs to go out on loan and time will tell if he becomes good enough. Effort alone is not enough to cut it im afraid look at his appearances this season then look at his goal and assist contribution. 

3 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

I dont really agree with you here, yes his effort is there not denying that dont think hes anywhere near the level to be near the first team at the moment if were looking to go up. He needs to go out on loan and time will tell if he becomes good enough. Effort alone is not enough to cut it im afraid look at his appearances this season then look at his goal and assist contribution. 

I haven't said he should be first choice. I haven't said he's promotion level. My point was disagreeing with the statement he "hasn't pushed on" - what is going from the fringes of the squad to being a member of the squad and challenging if it isn't pushing on?

He's clearly a work in progress, yes, and he shouldn't be first choice right now, but I personally can see why the manager thinks he has potential and is worth keeping. I also thought he had an OK game on Saturday too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is no room for sentimentality in Professional football it's a hard business, not a very nice business in reality, everyone is in it for themselves *, it's a short career and it's also cut throat and there's not a lot supporters can do about it, agents, players owners are all looking to gain an advantage.

* Carol and Kevin are one of the few exceptions to the rule thankfully.

I have a problem with this one year contract. Are they that bad to only give them one year? Or they can just do one more year? If we only offer one year contracts, do players switch off half way through looking at where to go to next. Some players will not give it all they have got( we have seen that this season) there are exceptions Pope would give his all, because he loves vale, like us. But most dont give a toss. Clarke has a hard job on his hands, but he is far better placed than the managers before because of the back up.  Just hope we get it right.

41 minutes ago, robf said:

I think he’s been at the club a while now and for me he still gets bullied and looks lightweight but if Clarke thinks he can make it then I’ll back him. He was far from our worse player yesterday but I think we really need players who are more proven at this level.

I’d much prefer 18 players who are first team ready over 29 most of whom are make weights. We must have quality over quantity this time round. I think that as Askey’s biggest failure as Manager.

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Would be genuinely intrigued to know which players Clarke was referring to yesterday.

McKirdy is an obvious suspect, but the rest of the players all seem fairly alright, and Askey always liked to sign 'nice lads'. The fact Clarke referred to more than one who needed a good talking to, and hadn't had the correct lifestyle, is interesting. 

He may have just been referring to weight / fitness issues. He definitely said players would be receiving "fatness tests"!