onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

22 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I’d keep Pope not based on any sentiment but in the belief he can do a job off the bench for one more season in this league.  Whether we like it or not, many teams, ourselves included, play a lot of hoof ball at this level. He’s still one of the best headers of the ball  and can play on the deck it’s mobility that’s the issue.  Whether the odd cameo off the bench would be acceptable to TP though is a different debate.

Or the salary that reflected being  an off the bench player.

Advert

I'd be sad to see Monty leave, he was one of the few who seemed to give a toss during the mid season slump when fit, wasn't it after the Carlisle defeat early on and he gave a really emotional interview after a couple of bad results?

I'd like to see him stay myself.

29 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

I'd be sad to see Monty leave, he was one of the few who seemed to give a toss during the mid season slump when fit, wasn't it after the Carlisle defeat early on and he gave a really emotional interview after a couple of bad results?

Sadly his injuries haven't helped him and i am 100% he wont be offered anything here,i would like to see Amoo paid up as well tbh

33 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

Yeah, Monty was one of the few that I thought was battling in that horrendous run.

He arrived as an inconsistent winger and, at times, blossomed as a hard-as-nails left back who contributed at both ends.

He's a good player, I have absolutely no doubt. I can see the argument for letting him go, and I want wholesale change, but if I had to keep one out of contract player, I put Montano top (yes, above Brown).

8 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Yeah, Monty was one of the few that I thought was battling in that horrendous run.

He arrived as an inconsistent winger and, at times, blossomed as a hard-as-nails left back who contributed at both ends.

He's a good player, I have absolutely no doubt. I can see the argument for letting him go, and I want wholesale change, but if I had to keep one out of contract player, I put Montano top (yes, above Brown).

I would put him nowhere near Brown tbh,yes he can come up with a bit of magic and a goal but he is also so frustrating,over runs the ball,runs in to brick walls then waves his arms about,dont get me wrong i actually like him but how he is and his injuries then he has to go and replace him with better

Amoo is another

Always liked Monty. Think he offers us something different down the left especially if we set up with 3 centre backs. He is injury prone which is clearly the issue. Could it be similar with the pope issue? 

They’re good players but can we afford to keep them to sit on the bench / be injured for parts of the season. I’d like Monty to stay, as mentioned above he was one of the only ones to give a <ovf censored> earlier in the year and the stuff he does off the pitch is excellent. For me having him on the bench as an attacking option is a real threat in this division and I would like to see him offered another year. He will get a 2 year deal elsewhere so he probably wouldn’t accept but I’d still offer it him. 

As above I can see arguments for keeping and letting him go but I think the positives outweigh the negatives with Monty. He’s one of the only players I’d actually like to see at the club next season. Must have a few cracking players lined up. 

11 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I would put him nowhere near Brown tbh,yes he can come up with a bit of magic and a goal but he is also so frustrating,over runs the ball,runs in to brick walls then waves his arms about,dont get me wrong i actually like him but how he is and his injuries then he has to go and replace him with better

Amoo is another

I'm not a massive fan of Monty - think there's a load of flaws. However, I think his versatility on the left and the fact he's also a very decent left back put him top of the retained list for me (even though I'm not bothered to see him go).

I'm not, and have never been, as high on Brown as other Vale fans. A steady League 2 keeper but not a great deal more, in my view (well aware this is heresy in the Vale fanbase). The claims that he is 'best in the league' have never been true. He's a safe option but commands a big wage and is redundant with his feet/catching crosses. 

A top bloke and did good work keeping us up in his first season, and has been very decent since, but again I wouldn't be too fussed if he left (although he'll certainly get a 1 year extension).

My view from Day 1 of this overhaul has been we release as much as we can to reset the culture of the club after 4 disappointing years in 5. 

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Absolutely. There was a good while before Christmas when I felt he was our most consistent player. When we were struggling for a bit of a spark he was able to bring something different as well.

11 hours ago, Howjy04 said:

John Askey and now,Darrell Clarke have realised that Pope is a back number.Our style of play has improved without him.I,along with others,am sick of seeing ale house football pandering to a player who scores very few,assists very few and is unable to play 2 games a week due to being grossly overweight and totally unfit.Thankyou Tom for 2012/13 but that was nearly a decade ago.Another season at the Vale would be an embarrassment to both club and player.Younger,fitter and less expensive please.People have  been talking about a testimonial.I mentioned this at the time Bury came in for him as a way of keeping him at the club.He chose the Bury shilling but couldn’t wait to get back when he was surplus at Bury,transfer listed by Flitcroft,and had a financial settlement to do so.In theory his testimonial was paid for by Bury who have paid the ultimate price for overpaying players and not what they are worth.Time for a big change and some attractive football.

Quality post and well worded.  Just because you think Tom’s time is up does not mean you disrespect what he has done over the years.

The comment about tarnishing the memories is particularly poignant - I also can’t help thinking that he wouldn’t be the most positive influence in the dressing room if he is no longer starting after several years of being ‘the main man’.  Somebody has a bad 20 minutes and it’s Tom would have buried thar / won that etc etc.  

Thanks for the memories but time to move on.  If you get a good 12 month contract then good luck to you - unless you are playing against us

29 minutes ago, Doha said:

As in spinning a deal to get rid, right!?!?

Very much so, palm him off on someone else. If he and DC can sign better players to replace those out of contract, while also pushing away under-contract deadweights that would be a genuinely fantastic job well done and one we couldn’t possibly have managed without a DOF.

Archived