Retained list

20 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

You're assuming that "There will be one or two right good principled points made to one or two players that I will enjoy saying. Because for me, being a professional footballer is every single day, living your life right, doing all the things right" means he's going to tear strips out of them and then release them.

He might be saving their career by saying "you've got talent, but you need to work harder and your lifestyle needs to improve - then you'll have more of a chance of a successful career".

Sometimes the truth might hurts, but tough love could actually help some of these players.

"Go out and prove me wrong". Like when Stanley Matthews told Ray Kennedy that he'd never make it in the game as long as he had a hole in his arse.

But yes, I was thinking that if Clarke had said that how I'd love to come back with another club and prove him wrong.

Not sure any of this lot will do that. Particularly with Manny going to Scotland.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

You're assuming that "There will be one or two right good principled points made to one or two players that I will enjoy saying. Because for me, being a professional footballer is every single day, living your life right, doing all the things right" means he's going to tear strips out of them and then release them.

He might be saving their career by saying "you've got talent, but you need to work harder and your lifestyle needs to improve - then you'll have more of a chance of a successful career".

Sometimes the truth might hurts, but tough love could actually help some of these players.

Exactly this... great interview.

26 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Because then you’d get upset at him for not explaining his decision. 

I meant why say anything to the players he is releasing when he is face to face with them. I don't expect many of them will be interested in the slightest in what he has to say, they will be just looking for another job. Patronising remarks from a manager who is releasing them won't be of any help or comfort.

Clarke is spot on, when push comes to shove a number of these players have proved over 3 or 4 years they simply aren't good enough. They collectively don't have the mentality and or ability to get out of this league the right way. For a club of Vale's potential and size that simply isn't good enough at league two level.

We need better players and Clarke knows that.

6 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I meant why say anything to the players he is releasing when he is face to face with them. I don't expect many of them will be interested in the slightest in what he has to say, they will be just looking for another job. Patronising remarks from a manager who is releasing them won't be of any help or comfort.

Yes, exit interviews at jobs don't exist.

Giving feedback to employees you're letting go as to why they're being let go is completely common practice. It would be negligent as an employer to avoid doing so.

These players are being let go, some for things they can fix. If they won't listen to the man who has decided to release them, then it says it all about their attitude, and they won't have a very successful career elsewhere. Clarke has won 4 promotions and know what a good player needs to do.

6 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Or perhaps his comments might save some of their careers? If they realise once released they've been going about things the wrong way and need to change their attitude to succeed as a pro footballer? Criticism isn't always a negative thing, it's how you react to and improve from it.

I'm sure if all successful football managers went through life worrying about hurting a few peoples feeling they wouldnt achieve anything. 

3 minutes ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Or perhaps his comments might save some of their careers? If they realise once released they've been going about things the wrong way and need to change their attitude to succeed as a pro footballer? Criticism isn't always a negative thing, it's how you react to and improve from it.

I'm sure if all successful football managers went through life worrying about hurting a few peoples feeling they wouldnt achieve anything. 

Not likely to survive themselves, football is a very public occupation.

7 minutes ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Exactly. Some of these players need a metaphorical kick up the backside. Clarke will be doing them a favour if he applies it. 

4 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I don't think using the term deadwood was a good start to the constructive criticism...

But some of them are dead wood. And you seem to think that we should be concerned about hurting their feelings????

2 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

It is not nice to tell a young man who has devoted his life to football that he is dead wood. Even if he hasn't performed as well as hoped. 

Truth hurts - live with it. 

If they are leaving, why say anything? They might play us in the future. 
So don't explain why they're being released? Surely they deserve a reason?

And I doubt any of these dossers will be playing L2 football next season.

Archived