Jump to content

Retained list


1
 Share

Recommended Posts

Advert:


It is a gamble. We have players who have performed recently, see our unbeaten run. Get rid of 4 or 5 players and get some better ones to replace them would be the sensible approach in my view. We could get rid of more and offer contracts to some but they might decide to leave because they get better offers and/or their mate has left. Meanwhile we offer contracts to replacements but they get better offers from elsewhere after turning us down. Then we end up in the bargain sales again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Rampant Zebra said:

It is a gamble. We have players who have performed recently, see our unbeaten run. Get rid of 4 or 5 players and get some better ones to replace them would be the sensible approach in my view. We could get rid of more and offer contracts to some but they might decide to leave because they get better offers and/or their mate has left. Meanwhile we offer contracts to replacements but they get better offers from elsewhere after turning us down. Then we end up in the bargain sales again.

As he says in his interview they have been planning recruitment for a while now i expect swift signings during the summer a mass clear out is needed and im pretty sure they will have mapped out all the viable signings we are going to try and make already

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

As he says in his interview they have been planning recruitment for a while now i expect swift signings during the summer a mass clear out is needed and im pretty sure they will have mapped out all the viable signings we are going to try and make already

This is brilliant. 

Planning recruitment before the season finishes. Yes! Buzzing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Tony Rodriguez said:

I have no great knowledge on this, only what I have picked up on here, but if a player is offered a contract does he then not have a month to say yes or no? If that is the case then you cannot really go recruiting with a blank piece of paper as you might need to hold off until until you have an answer.

If DC has targets in mind then I imagine he will release everyone he can, otherwise he may miss out on them if he has to wait a month.

It will be easy if none are offered deals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


20 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Class interview that is from clarke. No nonsense knows what he wants i have full confidence that with him in charge we will be battling towards the top of the table next season

Interesting how different people have different views, I thought that the way he was relishing getting rid of the deadwood and telling them what he thought about them was tantamount to bullying in the workplace.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting how different people have different views, I thought that the way he was relishing getting rid of the deadwood and telling them what he thought about them was tantamount to bullying in the workplace.
Oh FFS.....
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

As he says in his interview they have been planning recruitment for a while now i expect swift signings during the summer a mass clear out is needed and im pretty sure they will have mapped out all the viable signings we are going to try and make already

Perhaps there will be other clubs with the same players in mind?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


On 26/02/2021 at 17:06, PV1993 said:


Players under contract are:

James Gibbons - UNDER CONTRACT
Nathan Smith - UNDER CONTRACT
David Worrall - UNDER CONTRACT
Tom Conlon - UNDER CONTRACT
Theo Robinson - UNDER CONTRACT
Jake Taylor - UNDER CONTRACT
Danny Whitehead - UNDER CONTRACT
David Amoo - UNDER CONTRACT
Scott Burgess - UNDER CONTRACT
Devante Rodney - UNDER CONTRACT

That's 10 players out of the 20 we're allowed over the age of 21 (I believe that's the right age barrier). Whether I would keep those players or not, those are the ones we are stuck with going forward. Which means we have to be clever about the remaining 10 spots.

We need a goalkeeper. There has been a lot of arguments this season regarding Scott Brown. Personally he's still one of the best keepers in the division. If the management team think they can find better, then release - but I would offer him a contract. Any back up has to be a young keeper because we can't really afford to waste another spot on someone who is going to warm the bench. The only way I think this could be different is if Brown starts coaching and becomes player coach and is more of a back up. At least that way we get more out of two over aged keepers.

For the rest of the squad I would definitely only keep:

  • Alex Hurst - Young and showing enough that he deserves a place.
  • Cristian Montano - Love him as a full back and can change a game.
  • Kurtis Guthrie - I know he's yet to score but he is working hard and, as a team player, has been more effective that any of the other central strikers (Rodney has always been better in a wide position)

That leaves another 7 spots to fill, so the following players are a maybe:

  • Scott Brown (See reasons above)
  • Tom Scott - not sure how old he will be
  • Ryan Campbell-Gordon - young enough, just depends if that coaching staff deem him to be good enough.
  • Luke Joyce - Good player but is advancing in age.
  • Tom Pope - Again, good player in his day but isn't getting any younger. If he is on a good wage I would give him a year as I agree with previous comments that he is still effective at holding the ball up and can score.

Leaving the following players to be released:

  • Mark Cullen - too injury prone
  • Zak Mills - not done it here. There must be something to him as Oldham liked him but we haven't seen it. I don't think he's as awful as people make out and has a goal in him BUT he is too prone to a defensive lapse that usually gets punished.
  • Shaun Brisley - we have enough defenders that can defend but can't actually play football.
  • Dino Visser - Just no room for two older keepers, unless we go down the coaching route I previously mentioned - but if so I think we would need better to justify it.
  • Harry McKirdy - even if he was involved he can literally only play in an advanced no. 10 position which, with restrictions, we cannot afford.
  • David Fitzpatrick - has been a steady eddie but we need better if we want to push on.
  • Daniel Trickett-Smith - not proven anything at this level.
  • Leon Legge - I still think he is our best centre half but he is aging in years and we cannot just have dominant centre halves, we need some that can play too - and we already have Smith. But if contract rumours are true we may still have him, which wouldn't be awful but would take up another space.
  • Manny Oyeleke - Cracking player when he plays but that's not often enough unfortunately. If he can play until the end of the season without getting injured and prove his fitness then he would be a maybe.
  • Adam Crookes - Not attacking enough for a left back. Not strong enough as a centre half. Can only really play on the left of a back three and even then his distribution is poor.

Of the players under contract I would try to move Robinson and Whitehead on but we may not have a choice so as of right now they're in.

Quoting myself from two and a half months ago, just to see a difference of opinion.

The following players are under contract and, whether we like it or not, or if they are transfer listed, come the start of the season will make up part of that 22-man squad:

James Gibbons - UNDER CONTRACT
Nathan Smith - UNDER CONTRACT
David Worrall - UNDER CONTRACT
Tom Conlon - UNDER CONTRACT

Leon Legge - UNDER CONTRACT
Theo Robinson - UNDER CONTRACT
Jake Taylor - UNDER CONTRACT
Danny Whitehead - UNDER CONTRACT
David Amoo - UNDER CONTRACT
Scott Burgess - UNDER CONTRACT

Alex Hurst - UNDER CONTRACT
Devante Rodney - UNDER CONTRACT

That's 12 players out of 22, so I can't see DC keeping many more players as he does like a clear-out and to bring his own players in.

Of the players that are left I would only definitely keep Cristian Montano. I would also keep Scott Brown as, as is my understanding, keepers aren't included in those 22 places although I could be wrong.

I would consider offering contracts to Tom Pope and Luke Joyce. They are good pros that could do a job for another 12 months, but would only offer reduced terms in the knowledge that they are not going to be consistent starters. If they want to stay they will stay, but if they get better offers then they would go with my best wishes.

I would keep the young kids under 21 so long as they are showing that they have potential (Scott, Campbell-Gordon etc).

I would release the rest, leaving 8-10 slots for new signings over the 21 age limit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Interesting how different people have different views, I thought that the way he was relishing getting rid of the deadwood and telling them what he thought about them was tantamount to bullying in the workplace.

Jesus christ come on mate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, PV1993 said:

Quoting myself from two and a half months ago, just to see a difference of opinion.

The following players are under contract and, whether we like it or not, or if they are transfer listed, come the start of the season will make up part of that 22-man squad:

James Gibbons - UNDER CONTRACT
Nathan Smith - UNDER CONTRACT
David Worrall - UNDER CONTRACT
Tom Conlon - UNDER CONTRACT

Leon Legge - UNDER CONTRACT
Theo Robinson - UNDER CONTRACT
Jake Taylor - UNDER CONTRACT
Danny Whitehead - UNDER CONTRACT
David Amoo - UNDER CONTRACT
Scott Burgess - UNDER CONTRACT

Alex Hurst - UNDER CONTRACT
Devante Rodney - UNDER CONTRACT

That's 12 players out of 22, so I can't see DC keeping many more players as he does like a clear-out and to bring his own players in.

Of the players that are left I would only definitely keep Cristian Montano. I would also keep Scott Brown as, as is my understanding, keepers aren't included in those 22 places although I could be wrong.

I would consider offering contracts to Tom Pope and Luke Joyce. They are good pros that could do a job for another 12 months, but would only offer reduced terms in the knowledge that they are not going to be consistent starters. If they want to stay they will stay, but if they get better offers then they would go with my best wishes.

I would keep the young kids under 21 so long as they are showing that they have potential (Scott, Campbell-Gordon etc).

I would release the rest, leaving 8-10 slots for new signings over the 21 age limit.

Joyce struggled today blowing out of his backside at times .

Pope to be fair had no service but he looked like he'd been sat with me every weekend, a few bottles and a takeaway after the game. 

I have every faith in Mr Clarke 

Edited by darren1810
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Football is a village, players talk to each other. If you had a choice of two clubs and one had a manager who released your best mate from years ago and treated him badly you might chose the other one. It gives no benefit to anyone to get a reputation for being nasty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting how different people have different views, I thought that the way he was relishing getting rid of the deadwood and telling them what he thought about them was tantamount to bullying in the workplace.
Let's hope he can walk the walk like he talks the talk, we will know by Christmas I guess.
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


23 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

If we are going to release a player there is no need to say "you were <ovf censored> so we are getting rid of you". "Sorry we can't offer you a deal, good luck finding a club" would be just as good.

I would say he is being incredibly professional.  He has said he will give them the opportunity to say what they have done over 46 games to justify a new deal.  
 

He will then give constructive feedback on why he has taken the decision he has based on both their performance in the workplace and the way they are living their lives to help them with their future careers should they be fortunate enough to get another professional club in order to get the maximum out of their short careers that they can.
 

 Yes industrial language may feature on both sides of the table.  If they were in regular jobs many would have been on under performance/disciplinary action, and would not have been fortunate enough to have been paid what is a good wage for not performing to a sufficient standard.

Edited by Bald Eagle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Interesting how different people have different views, I thought that the way he was relishing getting rid of the deadwood and telling them what he thought about them was tantamount to bullying in the workplace.

It was only the ones he felt had let the club down by being less than committed with their lifestyle.

Some honest truths may be the thing that saves their career; much better than platitudes and letting them continue to waste their talents. 

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Football is a village, players talk to each other. If you had a choice of two clubs and one had a manager who released your best mate from years ago and treated him badly you might chose the other one. It gives no benefit to anyone to get a reputation for being nasty.

Alternatively you end up with the old pals club of Ryan Lloyd, Fitzpatrick, Whitehead etc . 

Oh yes come and play for Port Vale it's lovely, like one big reunion from our Macc days 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Moderators don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking (e.g. personal abuse) - use the orange report button above a post to alert them.

    If you can't get on with another forum user you can select the "ignore" option. Simply click on the link below, type in their username and save - Click here

    Please check with site staff if you wish to sell, auction or raffle any items on here. We are very happy to support good causes but do ask you to check with us first - Contact us here




×
×
  • Create New...