onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

8 hours ago, 1 said:

It’s hard without knowing wages, because some players might be really good value and worth keeping at a price.

That really is the key point when judging retained lists and signings.  If budgets weren't an issue I'd sack them all and sign the Man City team.

Advert

Folks, as per my previous messages, our attention on the front page now turns to the full-backs. 

Vote on which of the full-backs should be offered a new deal here - https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2021/04/retained-list-2021-which-full-backs-should-stay/

In case you missed them, the other two previous articles on which goalkeepers and centre-halves should be retained are here: 

https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2021/04/retained-list-2021-which-keepers-should-stay/

https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2021/04/retained-list-2021-which-central-defenders-should-stay/

Has anyone seen the "programme" that came with the ST pack today?  There is a section in it with details of a lot of the backroom coaching and fitness staff.  There are eight people there and Frank Sinclair isn't one of them.  Just saying.

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Has anyone seen the "programme" that came with the ST pack today?  There is a section in it with details of a lot of the backroom coaching and fitness staff.  There are eight people there and Frank Sinclair isn't one of them.  Just saying.

Thats an interesting one Jean

He's left the club

4 minutes ago, dishydave said:
10 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

He's left the club

When did he leave?

I am only going off DC's there will be no sentiment in his retained list but i think we can read in to it that it's the end for Pope at Vale,i know some wont agree but he can still be useful but is he useful enough to be kept on or can his wage be better spent on a younger player? No doubt he will get a deal somewhere else and i would like to see him back in some capacity when his career ends.

Who are they just out of interest?

3 hours ago, werstayinup said:

I am only going off DC's there will be no sentiment in his retained list but i think we can read in to it that it's the end for Pope at Vale,i know some wont agree but he can still be useful but is he useful enough to be kept on or can his wage be better spent on a younger player? No doubt he will get a deal somewhere else and i would like to see him back in some capacity when his career ends.

I think I'm repeating what someone else has said. 

In two weeks time if Clarke's first signing was a 36 year old who has played 15 games this season there would be absolute uproar on here thinking that Clarke had lost his marbles. 

Sadly all good things come to an end it will be really sad when it happens but one day it will, my opinion is that day is not far away.

4 hours ago, werstayinup said:

I was thinking the same way. I think if there wasn't squad limits then there may be value in having an old warrior who can occasionally come off the bench but it looks to me like Clarke will want more mobile and younger forwards. 

I do think it's a bit sad if his career comes to an end after a season of no fans. He's not done ten years which is the traditional time for a testimonial but perhaps one solution is a charity match in the summer - Port Vale v a Tom Pope Select XI - or suchlike? That will give him the chance to say goodbye to the fans and raise some money for a good cause too?

I was thinking the same way. I think if there wasn't squad limits then there may be value in having an old warrior who can occasionally come off the bench but it looks to me like Clarke will want more mobile and younger forwards. 
I do think it's a bit sad if his career comes to an end after a season of no fans. He's not done ten years which is the traditional time for a testimonial but perhaps one solution is a charity match in the summer - Port Vale v a Tom Pope Select XI - or suchlike? That will give him the chance to say goodbye to the fans and raise some money for a good cause too?

If he does go he’s done almost 10 years hasn’t he over ten spells so deserves a testimonial... maybe an early July fixture when fans should be back get Robbie out to play for us, club gets to test event for a decent crowd as opposed to friendlies. Win win

Archived