Jump to content

Retained list


1

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

I guess it shortens the conversations on Monday. Maybe there had been discussions on a reduced deal and his agent has found him an alternative. There is a definite lack of reasonable left sided players at this level. Good luck to him if he moves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


12 minutes ago, JRC said:

I guess it shortens the conversations on Monday. Maybe there had been discussions on a reduced deal and his agent has found him an alternative. There is a definite lack of reasonable left sided players at this level. Good luck to him if he moves.

I hope he doesn’t, but that’s football

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, JRC said:

I guess it shortens the conversations on Monday. Maybe there had been discussions on a reduced deal and his agent has found him an alternative. There is a definite lack of reasonable left sided players at this level. Good luck to him if he moves.

I think Monty will know now he isn't being offered a deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, JRC said:

Last season we would have met our cap under FFP. We met our cap under the budget limit for this season because a number of players wages who were already signed counted at a lower rate. There will not be a significant increase in our wage budget because we are already operating at about that level. We have a number of well paid players coming to the end of their deals, which will free up some wages. The issue for a number of seasons hasn't been the wage budget; it has been legacy players on high wages new managers haven't wanted to keep. When it came down to it with Maynard Mansfield were able to pay more. With hindsight we dodged a bullet as it looks like he carried on for one season more than his sell by date.

There seems to be that vicious circle when clubs are underperforming. The managers come and go quickly and as a result there's a backlog of the former guy's (and in some cases the one before that) signings. That in turn, means the new bloke can't ring the changes as much as he likes and is himself under pressure and in some cases that can then spell the end of his reign too and the circle continues.

For instance, never mind John Askey and Neil Aspin, we've still got three Michael Brown signings in the squad. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ValeCW said:

Would be a good move. Playing against the old firm. One of my favourites ended up in Scotland, Cardle. Although he seems to have wasted his career. Well it appears that way. Do any of you know if he has been the star man ?.

Scott Tanser has played consistently in the Scottish Prem since leaving us.

Cardle looks to have carved out a steady 2nd tier Scottish career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


All the very best to Monty and sad if he does leave BUT I question if the story is true. Possibly generated by his agent to use as a negotiating tactic.

The Vale management were very clear yesterday, Carole, DF, Colin Garlic and DC have had a united front and are not giving anything away to anyone.  DC thinks its important to sit down with all the players on Monday to discuss the future including players under contract. Keeping a wall of silence allows them to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, MBE said:

All the very best to Monty and sad if he does leave BUT I question if the story is true. Possibly generated by his agent to use as a negotiating tactic.

The Vale management were very clear yesterday, Carole, DF, Colin Garlic and DC have had a united front and are not giving anything away to anyone.  DC thinks its important to sit down with all the players on Monday to discuss the future including players under contract. Keeping a wall of silence allows them to do that.

I'd tend to agree. He may have decided he wasn't getting a contract, or got a better offer, or feel we might be going to offer less or it could be an agent negotiating tactic. I've had some limited social dealings with the owner and I know people who have been friends with her for a number of years. My belief is she is a very honest lady. My impression is rather than being untruthful she wouldn't comment. Bottom line is her money comes from a business where major banks and other organisations have to trust her integrity. If she has said negotiations will start on Monday I'd be very certain that is the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JRC said:

I guess it shortens the conversations on Monday. Maybe there had been discussions on a reduced deal and his agent has found him an alternative. There is a definite lack of reasonable left sided players at this level. Good luck to him if he moves.

If a club have approached his agent surely it would make sense for him and his agent to at least have a discussion with them if he doesn't know if we are going to offer him a contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I’d keep Pope not based on any sentiment but in the belief he can do a job off the bench for one more season in this league.  Whether we like it or not, many teams, ourselves included, play a lot of hoof ball at this level. He’s still one of the best headers of the ball  and can play on the deck it’s mobility that’s the issue.  Whether the odd cameo off the bench would be acceptable to TP though is a different debate.

Or the salary that reflected being  an off the bench player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


I'd be sad to see Monty leave, he was one of the few who seemed to give a toss during the mid season slump when fit, wasn't it after the Carlisle defeat early on and he gave a really emotional interview after a couple of bad results?

I'd like to see him stay myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

I'd be sad to see Monty leave, he was one of the few who seemed to give a toss during the mid season slump when fit, wasn't it after the Carlisle defeat early on and he gave a really emotional interview after a couple of bad results?

I'd like to see him stay myself.

Sadly his injuries haven't helped him and i am 100% he wont be offered anything here,i would like to see Amoo paid up as well tbh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, valefan16 said:

I'd be sad to see Monty leave, he was one of the few who seemed to give a toss during the mid season slump when fit, wasn't it after the Carlisle defeat early on and he gave a really emotional interview after a couple of bad results?

I'd like to see him stay myself.

Yeah, Monty was one of the few that I thought was battling in that horrendous run.

He arrived as an inconsistent winger and, at times, blossomed as a hard-as-nails left back who contributed at both ends.

He's a good player, I have absolutely no doubt. I can see the argument for letting him go, and I want wholesale change, but if I had to keep one out of contract player, I put Montano top (yes, above Brown).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Yeah, Monty was one of the few that I thought was battling in that horrendous run.

He arrived as an inconsistent winger and, at times, blossomed as a hard-as-nails left back who contributed at both ends.

He's a good player, I have absolutely no doubt. I can see the argument for letting him go, and I want wholesale change, but if I had to keep one out of contract player, I put Montano top (yes, above Brown).

I would put him nowhere near Brown tbh,yes he can come up with a bit of magic and a goal but he is also so frustrating,over runs the ball,runs in to brick walls then waves his arms about,dont get me wrong i actually like him but how he is and his injuries then he has to go and replace him with better

Amoo is another

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always liked Monty. Think he offers us something different down the left especially if we set up with 3 centre backs. He is injury prone which is clearly the issue. Could it be similar with the pope issue? 
 

They’re good players but can we afford to keep them to sit on the bench / be injured for parts of the season. I’d like Monty to stay, as mentioned above he was one of the only ones to give a <ovf censored> earlier in the year and the stuff he does off the pitch is excellent. For me having him on the bench as an attacking option is a real threat in this division and I would like to see him offered another year. He will get a 2 year deal elsewhere so he probably wouldn’t accept but I’d still offer it him. 
 

As above I can see arguments for keeping and letting him go but I think the positives outweigh the negatives with Monty. He’s one of the only players I’d actually like to see at the club next season. Must have a few cracking players lined up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


11 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

I would put him nowhere near Brown tbh,yes he can come up with a bit of magic and a goal but he is also so frustrating,over runs the ball,runs in to brick walls then waves his arms about,dont get me wrong i actually like him but how he is and his injuries then he has to go and replace him with better

Amoo is another

I'm not a massive fan of Monty - think there's a load of flaws. However, I think his versatility on the left and the fact he's also a very decent left back put him top of the retained list for me (even though I'm not bothered to see him go).

I'm not, and have never been, as high on Brown as other Vale fans. A steady League 2 keeper but not a great deal more, in my view (well aware this is heresy in the Vale fanbase). The claims that he is 'best in the league' have never been true. He's a safe option but commands a big wage and is redundant with his feet/catching crosses. 

A top bloke and did good work keeping us up in his first season, and has been very decent since, but again I wouldn't be too fussed if he left (although he'll certainly get a 1 year extension).

My view from Day 1 of this overhaul has been we release as much as we can to reset the culture of the club after 4 disappointing years in 5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Yeah, Monty was one of the few that I thought was battling in that horrendous run.

Absolutely. There was a good while before Christmas when I felt he was our most consistent player. When we were struggling for a bit of a spark he was able to bring something different as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    • Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please - Contact us here
    • If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here
    • Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here
  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...