Retained list

A player released is only as bad as the player you bring in to replace them. Can we get an experienced striker who is any good to replace Pope?

Robinson has not been the answer but will likely stay due to his age and the fact he has a contract. 

However, it’s the same with all the other proposed releases, can we guarantee improved replacements? 

Advert:

20 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

A player released is only as bad as the player you bring in to replace them. Can we get an experienced striker who is any good to replace Pope?

Robinson has not been the answer but will likely stay due to his age and the fact he has a contract. 

However, it’s the same with all the other proposed releases, can we guarantee improved replacements? 

You never know until you try. However, keeping the same players will guarantee another season in League 2. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

It's cost factor as well.

Pope is on a good wage. Would he accept a significant reduction, to reflect being 3rd-4th choice, when he can probably get one more good deal on reputation alone? To be cost-effective for his expected role, he'd have to be at the lower end of the club's pay-scale. 

We may not be able to replace Pope's qualities but we may be able to save money to invest into more pressing areas of the squad than what would be, at best, a backup target man.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

I can see Pope ending up at somewhere like Wrexham, or Stockport if they don't get promoted.

And he'll probably score a shed load .

However as Joe said cost comes into it, he is possibly only going to get a deal at Vale on hugely reduced terms .

Maybe during these uncertain times a 12 month contract for Tom is not a bad option.Hes a proven striker,sadly his best years are behind him.However, all potential replacement signings have been crap.It will give Vale a bit of breathing space while Pope can bring on our young gem ,Devante Rodney!Just a positive thought.

• Like 2

Advert:

38 minutes ago, ELDERBEZZA said:

Maybe during these uncertain times a 12 month contract for Tom is not a bad option.Hes a proven striker,sadly his best years are behind him.However, all potential replacement signings have been crap.It will give Vale a bit of breathing space while Pope can bring on our young gem ,Devante Rodney!Just a positive thought.

Tom is a legend and for me the best player we have had at the club in the last 15 years, however now is the time for him to be moved on.  It is hard when he is one of our own but we can't be sentmental.  If we had another striker who had scored 6 goals in 50 league games (last 2 seasons), 9 if you include the penalties, there would be no debate.  I have faith in Clarke that the same mistakes that Askey, Aspin and other managers before will not happen again.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, robf said:

And so onto our last front page feature - which forwards should be retained. 

It is here - https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2021/05/retained-list-2021-which-strikers-should-stay/

Once all the votes are in I'll be producing an "OVF" retained list feature and it will be interesting to see how it compares with the real thing...

In an ideal world, Rodney is the only one of those still here next season (and there's an argument he's better out wide).

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2

Advert:

38 minutes ago, MBE said:

Just voted on the strikers - very interesting response for Pope so far.

Really it should be a don't know. If we have to stick with 20 over 21 players a 36 year old would be a gigantic risk. IF there are 22 outfield, Robinson moves on and Pope is prepared to take a significant pay cut it would possibly make sense.

If it was literally any other player but Pope it wouldn't even be in question. His goal and assist output over the past 2 years since he got his fat new contract has been pathetic (particularly if you take out the penalties). At 36, he's not going to get any better. We've played much better and got better results since he has been out of the team over the past 2 seasons. His impact on games when coming on as a sub has been negligible (certainly from a pure change of result perspective). So many people unable to let go. The sooner he's gone the better for me. Mark my words, once he has, we'll see a huge upswing in both results and performance.

• Like 3

We cant gloss over what he has done for us over the past(pope) and i know Phil is very anti pope and joyce but i have to agree here,his return has been poor(although he was injured for some of that time) and we have got to move on and spend his wage elsewhere on someone younger and mobile

• Like 1

I think the discussion is a bit of a paradox. Because on one hand, people are saying "big clear out" and "no room for sentiment". But on the other hand, some wants to keep Pope, based on sentiment in its purest form.
I voted no, as I believe we need to have better all round choices, with a reduced squad size. 

Edited by Danish Valiant
  • Like 4

Advert:

2 hours ago, philmpv said:

If it was literally any other player but Pope it wouldn't even be in question. His goal and assist output over the past 2 years since he got his fat new contract has been pathetic (particularly if you take out the penalties). At 36, he's not going to get any better. We've played much better and got better results since he has been out of the team over the past 2 seasons. His impact on games when coming on as a sub has been negligible (certainly from a pure change of result perspective). So many people unable to let go. The sooner he's gone the better for me. Mark my words, once he has, we'll see a huge upswing in both results and performance.

You need help

• Like 1

You need help
Enlighten me. Which part of my post do I need help on? Am I factually incorrect? Or is your response that of someone in denial that Pope is no longer the player that he was, of which appear to be many?

If pope had come back from injury and scored the goals to keep us up its a different story for me. But in the time he's been back he hasnt scored and doesn't look fit. I will always respect him but I think it might be time to move on unless he was able to accept a 4th choice striker wage 

• Like 1