1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

I personally think Joyce is crucial, our results without him show this. We nearly always lose. He ticks the game over, breaks up play and gets us moving again.

His job isn’t necessarily to be the forward playing midfielder that’s why he’s CDM and you have 2 in front the play that role. If we go 3-5-2 I think he’s dead cert for a new deal.

Brisley is changing my mind too. He’s had a run of games and is outstanding. Really difficult job now for Clarke. I said you let him or Crookes go to bring in a
Young ball player but Crookes is versatile and Bris is a rock so it’s tricky.

Guess the squad cap will dictate on a couple of the lads.

I just haven't seen that Joyce this season. He looks slow, cumbersome and error prone. He's been a good servant for us but I think he needs replacing this summer.

• Like 4

Advert:

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No. I'd still be ruthless. I'm angry that this bunch downed tools and gave me many a sleepless night worrying about losing our league status. Glad they've finally decided to start playing again, but

No no no no we’ve fallen into this trap before. This squad has been in multiple relegation battles so a couple of wins doesn’t change anything for me. Big clear out needed

He probably will for 90 minutes!

I personally think Joyce is crucial, our results without him show this. We nearly always lose. He ticks the game over, breaks up play and gets us moving again

I hate that argument, because it completely ignores the fact that we have lost a hell of a lot with Joyce too. It also demonstrates the insular view that a lot of Vale fans seem to have (that the world ends at the horizon). If there's not younger and much better than Joyce available this summer then football in this country is in a very sorry state. Most of this division manage perfectly well without Luke Joyce in their side, and we'll be no different if he goes now that we have a proper recruitment plan in place.

2 minutes ago, dishydave said:

Only Scott brown for me all though I'm starting to like Guthrie but not so much as to offer him a contract. Brisley has been solid in the unbeaten run but we need better.

None of us would be human if we hadn't had our head turned since Newport, but I'm with you. 

It's hard to feel sympathy if a lot are shown the door. I'm sure one or two have possibly swayed Clarke but he won't fall into the trap of keeping a majority. 

It's not beyond possibility that at least 4 or5 of yesterday's team could be shown the exit . 

• Like 1

Advert:

I was amazed the commentators yesterday called Brisley ‘soft’ in his spell there.

No doubt Brialey has been a great defender in this unbeaten run. My concern is I don’t think he’s passed the ball in 6 games. It really is head it and lump it.

• Like 3

We do really need a player like Grant in midfield ! Someone strong with a presence  we have never really replaced him I suppose Many would have filled the bill but if you can’t play forty games a season it no good.

• Like 3

Brown I think will Stay , however that Man City keeper needs to play a few games see if he’s got it at this level . Guthrie that should be a simple no but my god his last 2 appearances he played well , but I feel it’s a little to late. Joyce I’m unsure if there is anyone who available who is better , but that’s my lack of knowledge rather than Joyce being brilliant.

3 hours ago, PVFC_4_EVA said:

I was amazed the commentators yesterday called Brisley ‘soft’ in his spell there.

No doubt Brialey has been a great defender in this unbeaten run. My concern is I don’t think he’s passed the ball in 6 games. It really is head it and lump it.

Its working. How many have we conceded recently? 

• Like 1

Brisley should stay based on every time he's had an extended run in the side he's been great. 

It might be tough with Legge but if there's a way to let him go end of the season it makes the most sense. We have no idea what kind of deal has been made there. 

I'd keep brown but yeah, try the new keeper for the last 4 games see if he should be kept on. 

Its harsh but I'd let Guthrie go. He's done well when he's played but I think we can do better. 

Advert:

21 hours ago, philmpv said:

...but surely you can agree that creativity starts at the back, whether it's your keeper finding his own men, or the defence...

Creativity hasn't really been the problem! In the games leading to Askey being sacked,  we were awful, defensively. That has been addressed. The other problem being that we create chances - we have 2 of the top 3 or 4 for assists in the League - but don't put them away. neither of these would have been helped by getting rid of Brisley, who is certainly playing a part in our better defensive record. But, it wouldn't hurt to play 2...or 3...CBs with different attributes?

I can’t say for sure obviously but I’d bet that players that re-signed contracts such as Joyce, Monty, Cullen, Pope etc. will be on wages that can easily entice players who are younger and better. To people who have all the facts and stats to hand these decisions will be no-brainers and Darrell probably had a pencilled in idea of what he was going to do with the current squad after just a few weeks of seeing them. This run may have softened his stance on a few, but not many. In a way the closest player to a 50/50 split for fans has already been sorted in Manny. 

On 18/04/2021 at 21:35, Emile said:

Brisley should stay based on every time he's had an extended run in the side he's been great. 

It might be tough with Legge but if there's a way to let him go end of the season it makes the most sense. We have no idea what kind of deal has been made there. 

I'd keep brown but yeah, try the new keeper for the last 4 games see if he should be kept on. 

Its harsh but I'd let Guthrie go. He's done well when he's played but I think we can do better. 

He’s played badly in more games than he’s played well in. Quite frankly if we can’t do better then playoffs next season is a laughing dream.

On 17/04/2021 at 20:26, PV1973 said:

I think we will be in the market for a ball playing centre half. 

Stones was on the radar but then he fell out with Pope so it fell through.

Stones was on the radar but then he fell out with Pope so it fell through.
Yeah, Pope doesn't rate him. On Pope's recommendation, 'Kayzee' was brought in as the man to solve our CB problems, closely followed by Rob Lainton
  • Like 1

Advert: