3 hours ago, PVFC_4_EVA said:

I was amazed the commentators yesterday called Brisley ‘soft’ in his spell there.

No doubt Brialey has been a great defender in this unbeaten run. My concern is I don’t think he’s passed the ball in 6 games. It really is head it and lump it.

Its working. How many have we conceded recently? 

• Like 1

Advert:

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No no no no we’ve fallen into this trap before. This squad has been in multiple relegation battles so a couple of wins doesn’t change anything for me. Big clear out needed

Pope deserves every accolade the club can bestow, but his time as a contributing player for us has come to an end, in my view. 

No. I'd still be ruthless. I'm angry that this bunch downed tools and gave me many a sleepless night worrying about losing our league status. Glad they've finally decided to start playing again, but

Brisley should stay based on every time he's had an extended run in the side he's been great. 

It might be tough with Legge but if there's a way to let him go end of the season it makes the most sense. We have no idea what kind of deal has been made there. 

I'd keep brown but yeah, try the new keeper for the last 4 games see if he should be kept on. 

Its harsh but I'd let Guthrie go. He's done well when he's played but I think we can do better. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, philmpv said:

...but surely you can agree that creativity starts at the back, whether it's your keeper finding his own men, or the defence...

Creativity hasn't really been the problem! In the games leading to Askey being sacked,  we were awful, defensively. That has been addressed. The other problem being that we create chances - we have 2 of the top 3 or 4 for assists in the League - but don't put them away. neither of these would have been helped by getting rid of Brisley, who is certainly playing a part in our better defensive record. But, it wouldn't hurt to play 2...or 3...CBs with different attributes?

• Like 2

I can’t say for sure obviously but I’d bet that players that re-signed contracts such as Joyce, Monty, Cullen, Pope etc. will be on wages that can easily entice players who are younger and better. To people who have all the facts and stats to hand these decisions will be no-brainers and Darrell probably had a pencilled in idea of what he was going to do with the current squad after just a few weeks of seeing them. This run may have softened his stance on a few, but not many. In a way the closest player to a 50/50 split for fans has already been sorted in Manny. 

On 18/04/2021 at 21:35, Emile said:

Brisley should stay based on every time he's had an extended run in the side he's been great. 

It might be tough with Legge but if there's a way to let him go end of the season it makes the most sense. We have no idea what kind of deal has been made there. 

I'd keep brown but yeah, try the new keeper for the last 4 games see if he should be kept on. 

Its harsh but I'd let Guthrie go. He's done well when he's played but I think we can do better. 

He’s played badly in more games than he’s played well in. Quite frankly if we can’t do better then playoffs next season is a laughing dream.

Advert:

On 17/04/2021 at 20:26, PV1973 said:

I think we will be in the market for a ball playing centre half. 

Stones was on the radar but then he fell out with Pope so it fell through.

Stones was on the radar but then he fell out with Pope so it fell through.
Yeah, Pope doesn't rate him. On Pope's recommendation, 'Kayzee' was brought in as the man to solve our CB problems, closely followed by Rob Lainton
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, philmpv said:

Yeah, Pope doesn't rate him. On Pope's recommendation, 'Kayzee' was brought in as the man to solve our CB problems, closely followed by Rob Lainton emoji23.png

With that track record lets hope he never gets to be mange us

• Like 1

I question the need for a wholesale clear out of players during the summer as DC has this squad of players playing well, based on the last 8 games Vale would be top of the league. DC/DF have got to know these players and whatever system is used to assess players it's probably little better than the toss of a coin whether a new player is significantly better than someone let go although there are one or two of exceptions in the current squad.

I anticipate he'll bring in 5-6 new experienced players depending what the EFL do with the squad limit. 

• Like 2

Advert:

Does anyone have a definitive list of who is out of contract this year? I keeps seeing conflicting names on different posts both here and on twitter.

• Like 1

On 21/04/2021 at 09:24, Walka003 said:

Yeah, i wouldn't be bothered if they all went to be honest. Maybe Joyce and Brown aside.

Joyce?

Advert:

A few weeks ago the lot could have gone for me. Now I am thinking the more we keep the better we will be. Not sure the manager will see it that way. He might want his own players in. Either way, I trust he will do a good job.

Hi,

It may interest you all to know I'm running a series of articles on the front page. It's looking at the squad position-by-position and asking you to vote on which players you would like to retain. 

The first article looks at the goalkeeping position and is here - https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2021/04/retained-list-2021-which-keepers-should-stay/

Over the coming days and weeks I'll be going through the other positions too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think the defence has shown it can be mean and tight so dont see them as a problem. They have what it takes at League 2 level. Might be lacking in pace but big and strong. Midfield lacks some muscle. Think Joyce had done a decent job but because of his age expect us to sign a younger version. Callum Guy has impressed this season and was successful when we had him on loan previously. Yes he is another ex Vale player but was tiggerish in the tackle , good engine and more importantly is in form.

Upfront is where the shake up is needed. Would only keep Rodney and possibly Swann. Popey deserves a statue erecting outside the ground as he is a legend but Fathertime catches up with us all eventually. As regards Theo, Guthrie and Cullen time to go and bring in a 20 goal a season striker to partner Rodney. Yes easier said than done but lets spend those 3 salaries on one player who actually does his day job and score goals.

For the past few seasons it has been said we need  Quality rather than Quantity only for us to go and do the complete opposite. The squad number restrictions might actually make it happen next season.