onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Advert

I'd keep Brown, Smith, Gibbo, Monty, Conlon, Worrall (best player we have) Taylor, Pope.

Possibly Legge.

I'd add a reserve keeper, a LB, a RB, two CB, two CM, two wingers, two strikers. 

That's 20, which may be all we can have, depending on the latest developments on the rules.

Then whatever youngsters we fan add with potential. 

Up to DC not us. He knows what he wants and will get it. His man management is clearly strong. Him taking Manny off yesterday and changing our formation, when would we have seen that previously? I’m prepared to support him with his choices. 

17 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

Up to DC not us. He knows what he wants and will get it. His man management is clearly strong. Him taking Manny off yesterday and changing our formation, when would we have seen that previously? I’m prepared to support him with his choices. 

Yes good to see not afraid to sub and when he does t has an impact. With the amount of subs now allowed it’s becoming an important tactic using it. Plus the fact we quickly can change formation seamlessly.

46 minutes ago, valiant steve said:

I'd keep Brown, Smith, Gibbo, Monty, Conlon, Worrall (best player we have) Taylor, Pope.

Possibly Legge.

I'd add a reserve keeper, a LB, a RB, two CB, two CM, two wingers, two strikers. 

That's 20, which may be all we can have, depending on the latest developments on the rules.

So no Rodney then?  

1 hour ago, valiant steve said:

Possibly Legge.

Bearing in mind Pope hasn't featured since January and was arguably a bit part player up to then what are you basing keeping him on ?

By the way I'm no Pope basher I was praying he'd get fit prior to this winning run.

I'm trying to mind read Clarke, Pope yet to feature for him, only 5 games left and 36 in August. It's a big ask to expect Clarke to want to keep a player based on his past 

Unfortunately, everything that the club has hinted at or said points to Pope not being retained beyond this season.

We've heard:

• Smaller squad
  • Players who are more consistently available for selection
  • No sentiment in decisions

Pope knowing Flitcroft may work in his favour, but I think another League 2/National League side will offer Pope more money and minutes than we will (if we offer him anything), based on his reputation alone.

This isn't really a comment on Pope's abilities; just looking at the reality of the situation. Pope has one more contract in him and will rightly want to maximise his earnings and playing time before calling it a day. Port Vale probably won't offer him that. 

From our perspective, it would be ideal if he was happy to be 3rd/4th choice on vastly reduced wages for one last go at promotion. He deserves the fans being in the ground for his final game with the club. 

I was just thinking the same thing re Pope, I like Pope, but having come through the friendly game v Hereford he’s not even been included in the matchday squad.

it could be that both Flitcroft and Clarke know Pope well and know what he can do so no need to take a look at him,

whereas the likes of Cullen hav’nt featured much so they may need to look at those players first.

4 hours ago, Howjy04 said:

One thing to consider re new contracts is the length of them.How many of those,who are out of contract,would be able to hack it in League 1,the season after next?

Fair point. If the management are taking that into account there could still be a few leaving.

I'm all for planning but I don't think we can be so presumptuous about players being good enough for League one 

Let's face it if they are good enough for League one are players going to join a League 2 club.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and cross that bridge when it happens.

I've been going since 1971 and seen maybe 5 promotions . They are earnt not a given. 

We don't want to get all big headed and entitled. 

I'm expecting a very good season next season, but we have to take baby steps and not jump the gun we are going to walk it. Only got to look at big heads Salford to see that isn't the case 

I was just thinking the same thing re Pope, I like Pope, but having come through the friendly game v Hereford he’s not even been included in the matchday squad.
it could be that both Flitcroft and Clarke know Pope well and know what he can do so no need to take a look at him,
whereas the likes of Cullen hav’nt featured much so they may need to look at those players first.
DF also told Pope he could leave Bury twice so I think that's more likely to be the case. The fact that DC hasn't even had Pope on the bench also speaks volumes, imho. As somebody else on here has said, a lot of Vale fans seem completely unable to accept that Pope isn't the player that he was, and are unable to let go. He's 36 soon, is on a fat contract, has scored in 2 games this season, scored less in 2 seasons as Rodney has in 1, has brought the Club into disrepute through his actions on social media, and has largely been ineffective when he has played. But, for a lot, that means a new contract! There was even a ridiculous comment on here that Pope would be scoring 15+ a season now if he was playing in the Bundesliga! Reason doesn't come into it for a lot of people where Pope's concerned. Any other player and nobody would be considering him to stay

34 minutes ago, philmpv said:

DF also told Pope he could leave Bury twice so I think that's more likely to be the case. The fact that DC hasn't even had Pope on the bench also speaks volumes, imho. As somebody else on here has said, a lot of Vale fans seem completely unable to accept that Pope isn't the player that he was, and are unable to let go. He's 36 soon, is on a fat contract, has scored in 2 games this season, scored less in 2 seasons as Rodney has in 1, has brought the Club into disrepute through his actions on social media, and has largely been ineffective when he has played. But, for a lot, that means a new contract! There was even a ridiculous comment on here that Pope would be scoring 15+ a season now if he was playing in the Bundesliga! Reason doesn't come into it for a lot of people where Pope's concerned. Any other player and nobody would be considering him to stay

I take it you are not his agent or helping him with his CV then Phil?🤔🤔😉😀

One thing I've always wondered is why players have to be given a certain amount of time to decide whether to accept or reject a new contract offer (I think it's a month, though could be wrong)? Surely the Club should be able to say here's the offer, take it or leave it, we need to plan for next season so you have a week at most.

30 minutes ago, philmpv said:

One thing I've always wondered is why players have to be given a certain amount of time to decide whether to accept or reject a new contract offer (I think it's a month, though could be wrong)? Surely the Club should be able to say here's the offer, take it or leave it, we need to plan for next season so you have a week at most.

May have more than one club making offers, time to  improve the offer since a club only offered a cheeky bid.  Doubt if much is not negotiable , except the transfer window.

Archived